PDA

View Full Version : Yanks going after Mags?

habibharu
03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/16918.htm

kittle42
03-09-2004, 09:53 AM
That's not what the article says.

soxtalker
03-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Doesn't even seem to come up to the "standards" of a rumor. It looks more like something a sportswriter does when he needs a story and there isn't much to write about.

If there was any interest in Maggs by the NYY, I don't know what they would be able / willing to offer. They have a great starting line up, but they seem to need pitching.

Foulke You
03-09-2004, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't fret. The NY media thinks every superstar eventually comes to the Yankees (they are usually correct) so whenever there is an injured player, they immediately start speculating on who that superstar will be. It doesn't mean Ordonez is heading there, it just means he is on the NY media wishlist.

I hate the Yanks. They lose their starting right fielder and replace him with Kenny Lofton who would be a top flite starter on most teams. If the Sox lost their right fielder, we would replace him with Ross Gload or Marvin Benard. :(:

Jjav829
03-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Sheffield is going to play through the torn thumb ligament. He'll be back in the Yankees lineup later this week. Let the rumors cease.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1754805)

ChiSox14305635
03-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Again, NY thinks every other team (except Boston) is their own personal farm system. Schmos.

Doesn't matter anyway. Sheffield is going to play with the injured thumb and return to the lineup later this week.

TheRockinMT
03-09-2004, 11:13 AM
It is indeed an insult to any baseball fan to have a team like the Yankees who think that all they have to do is open the checkbook and buy whatever they need. There is no competitive balance and no wonder the Yanks are so hated. I think it would be a bad thing to trade Maggs, but I found it interesting that Griffey Jr. is considered "on the trading block" and maybe headed back to Seattle. ESPN broadcaster on the ST game yesterday made mention that the Mariners were looking at the possibility of that kind of deal.

joecrede
03-09-2004, 11:42 AM
The Yankees have no one left to trade to get a player of any quality that isn't being traded as part of a salary dump. Ordonez certainly doesn't fit that description.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 12:33 PM
The Rockin MT says: "It is indeed an insult to any baseball fan to have a team like the Yankees who think that all they have to do is open the checkbook and buy whatever they need."

Just wondering...why?

How do you know there aren't other owners out there who can afford to do the same thing but choose not to. Considering the personal wealth of guys like Carl Pohland, Carl Linder and David Glass, just to name three, that's an rather broad assumption don't you think?

Like George Steinbrenner said in the New York Daily News, everyone complains about how much money the Yankees spend but those same folks never open their mouths when he hands over a 60 million dollar revenue sharing / luxury tax check.

Lip

rahulsekhar
03-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The Rockin MT says: "It is indeed an insult to any baseball fan to have a team like the Yankees who think that all they have to do is open the checkbook and buy whatever they need."

Just wondering...why?

How do you know there aren't other owners out there who can afford to do the same thing but choose not to. Considering the personal wealth of guys like Carl Pohland, Carl Linder and David Glass, just to name three, that's an rather broad assumption don't you think?

Like George Steinbrenner said in the New York Daily News, everyone complains about how much money the Yankees spend but those same folks never open their mouths when he hands over a 60 million dollar revenue sharing / luxury tax check.

Lip

So you think that rich owners should be willing to subsidize teams? From your comment above about Glass, Pohlad, etc - that's what it seems like. Be assured that Steinbrenner is not subsidizing anything. And personally, I do not for 1 second think that any owner should be forced to subsidize their team - they should be run at break-even. Now if you have proof that they've been taking a lot of cash out, then that amount would be fair game.