PDA

View Full Version : Quote of the Day 3/9

JRIG
03-09-2004, 09:00 AM
"He [Guillen] told me if I get thrown out, who cares? Be aggressive," Harris said.

Cubune, 3/9, Willie Harris on Ozzie Guillen giving him the green light at any time.

Well, I care if he gets thrown out, because you only get 27 outs per game.

Although, Harris will be on base so few times this season it probably won't make much of a difference anyway.

benjamin
03-09-2004, 09:44 AM
You are right. Harris will undoubtably be awful this season.

I mean, he's already all of 25 years old, and hit only .380 in Triple-A last year. Clearly, he's terrible.

Why bother giving the guy a chance?

We should just trade for a mediocre veteran with no upside.

I'm curious, though, what was your opinion of Hank Blalock prior to 2003?

(And this is by no means saying that I expect Willie to hit walk-off homers in All-Star Games. Just that he certainly can be a viable starting second baseman, despite his past struggles in the bigs.)

rmusacch
03-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by benjamin
You are right. Harris will undoubtably be awful this season.

I mean, he's already all of 25 years old, and hit only .380 in Triple-A last year. Clearly, he's terrible.

Why bother giving the guy a chance?

We should just trade for a mediocre veteran with no upside.

I'm curious, though, what was your opinion of Hank Blalock prior to 2003?

(And this is by no means saying that I expect Willie to hit walk-off homers in All-Star Games. Just that he certainly can be a viable starting second baseman, despite his past struggles in the bigs.)

He only had 100 at bats to hit that .380

benjamin
03-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

He only had 100 at bats to hit that .380

And added to his 360 at bats at Triple-A in 2002, he has a career .304 BA at Triple-A...

And in 1,753 career minor league at bats he's got a .290 batting average...

What's your point?

Here's mine:

Writing off Willie at this point is nothing shy of moronic. He's young, talented, and in need of an opportunity to prove himself.

Wait until mid-May before you start burning the poor guy at the stake.

Then we can go trade for Junior Spivey.

jeremyb1
03-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Yeah, I'm glad Ozzie has confidence in Willie but that quote certainly scared the crap out of me. There's a lot to lose in getting thrown out. Teams average about .8 runs per innings with a man on first and no outs and .25 runs per inning if the runner attempts a steal and is thrown out.

sas1974
03-09-2004, 10:56 AM
That quote wasn't meant for us or the media. It's only value is to Willie Harris. Ozzie is trying to boost the young guy's confidence and allow him to play w/o fear. There's nothing more to it than that.

HURT35
03-09-2004, 11:16 AM
I think the point is that when Willie gets on base -he is to run. That's really the only reason he is playing, because he is the only player the Sox have that can be considered major league ready at all that can run like hell (and is a base stealer). He serves no purpose to the Sox if he is a stationary baserunner. He has to run every chance he gets and force the other team to react/throw him out. They need to try to change the complexion of an offense that did not score unless someone hit the ball out of the park. Final stats and total runs scored not withstanding, this team offensively for big chunks of time was non-existent last year. They are taking a chance on him because the potential upside is huge if he can get on base. Let's face it, catchers really only throw runners out, what 30% of the time.

Give this a couple of months or as much time as they can from a team perspective and then if it doesnt work out do something else. At least this way you KNOW, either way. There are If's here I realize, but I'm willing to let this play out.

voodoochile
03-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by sas1974
That quote wasn't meant for us or the media. It's only value is to Willie Harris. Ozzie is trying to boost the young guy's confidence and allow him to play w/o fear. There's nothing more to it than that.

I agree and people seem to forget that JM gave the whole team the green light until they proved individually that they made bad decisions. I think Maggs got his pass revoked last year. At least he stopped running after a while thank goodness...

MarkEdward
03-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by benjamin
And added to his 360 at bats at Triple-A in 2002, he has a career .304 BA at Triple-A...

And in 1,753 career minor league at bats he's got a .290 batting average...

What's your point?

Here's mine:

Writing off Willie at this point is nothing shy of moronic. He's young, talented, and in need of an opportunity to prove himself.

Wait until mid-May before you start burning the poor guy at the stake.

Then we can go trade for Junior Spivey.

I don't think JRIG was ragging on Harris so much as he was ragging on Guillen's managerial strategy. According to what I've seen, when dealing with stolen bases, quality trumps quantity. If Harris' stolen bases percentage is anywhere below 60%, it won't matter if he steals 100 bases. He'll be costing the Sox runs.

Also, I can't buy the comparison to Hank Blalock. Blalock's 23, and he's already established himself as a productive major leaguer. Harris will be 26 this season and so far has had no success at the major league level.

JRIG
03-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I don't think JRIG was ragging on Harris so much as he was ragging on Guillen's managerial strategy. According to what I've seen, when dealing with stolen bases, quality trumps quantity. If Harris' stolen bases percentage is anywhere below 60%, it won't matter if he steals 100 bases. He'll be costing the Sox runs.

Also, I can't buy the comparison to Hank Blalock. Blalock's 23, and he's already established himself as a productive major leaguer. Harris will be 26 this season and so far has had no success at the major league level.

At the age of 21, Hank Blalock hit .380/.437/.557 in 237 at bats in A ball and .327/.413/.544 in 272 at bats in AA ball. Yes, great things were expected of him and he is delivering.

Although I'm not predicting great things for Harris, my initial post was more a criticism of Guillen's ideas about stolen bases.

Iwritecode
03-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by sas1974

Exactly.

He's basically saying don't be so afraid of being thrown out that you don't take the base when the opportunity presents itself.

There's a difference between playing not to lose and playing to win.

sas1974
03-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode

Which will hopefully be the difference between last year and this one.

Brian26
03-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Anyone who listened to the game yesterday heard what can happen when a guy with Harris' speed gets on base. Exciting things can happen. Having Willie not use his speed is nothing but a detriment to the Sox.

ode to veeck
03-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Anyone who listened to the game yesterday heard what can happen when a guy with Harris' speed gets on base. Exciting things can happen. Having Willie not use his speed is nothing but a detriment to the Sox.

Absolutely, look how different they were offensively the spring they had a healthy Kenny Lofton ---they tore up until he tore up his hammy, then were totally listless afterwards, having an aggresive baserunner creates much better situations for the rest of the offense

surfdudes
03-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Exactly.

He's basically saying don't be so afraid of being thrown out that you don't take the base when the opportunity presents itself.

Exactly. There was so much talk on this website about the "Plodders" on this team, Guillens attitude so far should make this year far more exciting than last year, and it may even equate to wins.

duke of dorwood
03-09-2004, 01:15 PM
I dont see him on that much anyway.