PDA

View Full Version : Restuarants & Bars on 35th street

pinwheels3530
03-09-2004, 03:03 AM
With the offices moving to left field, I here the sox were plannig on putting some restaurants & bars along the exterior of the park were the offices are currently at, also possibly building a little league park were old comiskey was. These would be part of phase V renovations. I think the bars would be great to attract the casual baseball fans (not the yuppies that go up north), but fans that have no allegiance to any team, that might give comiskey a second look and discover that this is one af the best ballparks in the majors!!

joeynach
03-09-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by pinwheels3530
With the offices moving to left field, I here the sox were plannig on putting some restaurants & bars along the exterior of the park were the offices are currently at, also possibly building a little league park were old comiskey was. These would be part of phase V renovations. I think the bars would be great to attract the casual baseball fans (not the yuppies that go up north), but fans that have no allegiance to any team, that might give comiskey a second look and discover that this is one af the best ballparks in the majors!!

Um how can they put bars and restuarants on the exterior of the park where the offices are currently at. The offices are inside the ballpark. Behing all the arched blue glass windows we see. What are you talking about. And if they built some bars and restuarants along 35th what does that have anything to do with the team offices wither in the stadium or in the new poropsed bulding behind left. DOesn't make sense.

pinwheels3530
03-09-2004, 03:26 AM
That's one of the reasons the would move the offices to make room for some restaraunts between gate 4 and gate 6 they would be at street level so fans can enter from the outside. if you look at the renovation drawings the realist posted it looks like this was in their plans. The people who own the grandstand sports store told me in a conversation that this could be a possibility if there is enough funds.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 08:52 AM
now that would be a Very Interesting Development ......
Theres a lot of "wasted" space putting all the Sox Offices
inside the park like that. I like how Cincinnati and Phillys
new park put the offices in a building Adjacent to the Park

Frater Perdurabo
03-09-2004, 09:32 AM
In addition to constructing a building for team offices and/or a grand entrance beyond left field, I have another idea:

If the ramp on the north side of 35th Street is to remain as is, how about putting a brick facade on it and making it look like a regular building? Then, add some more buildings to the east and west of the ramp along 35th to house bars, souvenir shops, restaurants on the ground level, garage parking on levels 2, 3 and 4, and apartments and condos on the upper floors. Finally, put that little league park in the parking lot where old Comiskey Park stood.

The same kind of thing could be done in the parking lot immediately west of the Cell, between the ramp and the railroad tracks. Buildings with retail and night clubs on the bottom floor, parking immediately above and housing on the top floors.

This would make the Cell's immediate neighborhood a year-round attraction and would become a focal point for the redevelopment that already is taking place in Bridgeport, around IIT and in Bronzeville.

Railsplitter
03-09-2004, 10:03 AM
possibly building a little league park were old comiskey was.

Excuse me, but I believe the season ticket parking is where Old Comiskey used to be.

Randar68
03-09-2004, 11:02 AM
That's one of the reasons the would move the offices to make room for some restaraunts between gate 4 and gate 6 they would be at street level so fans can enter from the outside. if you look at the renovation drawings the realist posted it looks like this was in their plans. The people who own the grandstand sports store told me in a conversation that this could be a possibility if there is enough funds.

The talk was of moving the Offices to a new building across the street or down the street. The exit ramps would then be moved inside the park in place of the offices and you'd have something like what you now have at the United Center.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
Excuse me, but I believe the season ticket parking is where Old Comiskey used to be.

Cant stop Progress my friend

The_Floridian
03-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Wherever they put them, I like the idea of Little League parks around the stadium. Let the little ones have a glance at the big stadium as they hit their home runs. Good for the community...and since the Sox have the space to do it (unlike on the North side) they should take advantage of that.

ewokpelts
03-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter

the brewers built a nice little league park on county stadium....better than just another parking lot
Gene

ewokpelts
03-09-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
The talk was of moving the Offices to a new building across the street or down the street. The exit ramps would then be moved inside the park in place of the offices and you'd have something like what you now have at the United Center.

The talk last year would have the sox moving offices to the grand entrance building...and open up the old offices ala oriole park. I got this info from my rep when i bought my tix last year.
Gene

Randar68
03-09-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
The talk last year would have the sox moving offices to the grand entrance building...and open up the old offices ala oriole park. I got this info from my rep when i bought my tix last year.
Gene

Frankly, I've heard more variations on the rumors from the ticket reps than from posters on this board. I really don't think anyone knows what the final plans will be, and they've already changed a half dozen times. It will depend on $$$$ left available, as always.

The Critic
03-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
Wherever they put them, I like the idea of Little League parks around the stadium. Let the little ones have a glance at the big stadium as they hit their home runs. Good for the community...and since the Sox have the space to do it (unlike on the North side) they should take advantage of that.

Might also develop future Sox fans, to be playing across the street from their park. Can't do that across town, although you CAN get a nice Happy Meal across the street from Chewing Gum Park.

CHISOXFAN13
03-09-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by The Critic
Might also develop future Sox fans, to be playing across the street from their park. Can't do that across town, although you CAN get a nice Happy Meal across the street from Chewing Gum Park.

There are already three baseball fields in the vicinity of the park in Armour Square Park. It's certainly close enough for those who play there to be excited about playing in the back yard of an MLB park.

pinwheels3530
03-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Yes there is baseball fields located near Comiskey, but know one knows about them. I do because I m a die hard fan, but the casual baseball family doesn't, because their to scared to walk around the neighborhood do to the reputation that the media has unfairly given it.

The same architicutal firm HKS that is doing the renovations to Comiskey, built MIller Park & the Ballpark in Arlington, those two ballparks have little league parks outside. So the idea had to at least be presented to the sox.

I believe the ballpark would be great marketing for more families to come out to the game. The sox could could build on the reputation of being more family oriented than the choke on the north side. This idea would be a huge hit before the game especially on kids Sundays!

The also have to consider the night time crowd during the week restaurnts & a couple af bars would help with that not everyone has kids so this would be another reason for the casual baseball fan to come to the south side! Are fan base can grow create more revenue etc.. isn't that what we all been talking about for years.

Comiskey Park with green seats, new roof, homerun porch, little league park, restaurants etc.. (championship team) would truly make it a world class ballpark that it allways should have been!!

Randar68
03-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Yes there is baseball fields located near Comiskey, but know one knows about them. I do because I m a die hard fan, but the casual baseball family doesn't, because their to scared to walk around the neighborhood do to the reputation that the media has unfairly given it.

The same architicutal firm HKS that is doing the renovations to Comiskey, built MIller Park & the Ballpark in Arlington, those two ballparks have little league parks outside. So the idea had to at least be presented to the sox.

I believe the ballpark would be great marketing for more families to come out to the game. The sox could could build on the reputation of being more family oriented than the choke on the north side. This idea would be a huge hit before the game especially on kids Sundays!

The also have to consider the night time crowd during the week restaurnts & a couple af bars would help with that not everyone has kids so this would be another reason for the casual baseball fan to come to the south side! Are fan base can grow create more revenue etc.. isn't that what we all been talking about for years.

Comiskey Park with green seats, new roof, homerun porch, little league park, restaurants etc.. (championship team) would truly make it a world class ballpark that it allways should have been!!

By no means am I the grammar police, but this is BRUTAL!

Rush20
03-09-2004, 02:56 PM
I think the initial plan for Phase V is to move the existing offices either to (a) a separate stand-alone builiding or (b) into the area immediately outside left field as part of the new grand entrance and patio area. This would then free up the interior for new ramps and escalators so we might finally be able to knock down those ugly outside ramps. Per the drawing, the pedestrian walkway over 35th St. would also be re-designed.

Another thought while driving by the Cell this morning is how much better the area immediately would be around the ballpark if they could work out a deal for the public housing between Pershing and the park. I don't want to create an argument over the pros and cons of public housing, however imagine if the SOX had the entire block for either (a) parking or (b) an outside beer garden connected to the Sportsbar in right field. That would at least be a start, plus those buildings are truly past their prime and a real eyesore. Maybe they could work out a deal similar to what they did with the UC relocation and the Robert Talyor Homes. Again, people first, however a deal could be made to benefit everyone.

A.T. Money
03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
By no means am I the grammar police, but this is BRUTAL!

Nice....LOL

ihatethecubs
03-10-2004, 08:29 AM

i think you hafta be stupid not to see armour park. its a few hundred feet north of the park. i think even the "casual baseball family" could see that.

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Rush20
I think the initial plan for Phase V is to move the existing offices either to (a) a separate stand-alone builiding or (b) into the area immediately outside left field as part of the new grand entrance and patio area. This would then free up the interior for new ramps and escalators so we might finally be able to knock down those ugly outside ramps. Per the drawing, the pedestrian walkway over 35th St. would also be re-designed.

Another thought while driving by the Cell this morning is how much better the area immediately would be around the ballpark if they could work out a deal for the public housing between Pershing and the park. I don't want to create an argument over the pros and cons of public housing, however imagine if the SOX had the entire block for either (a) parking or (b) an outside beer garden connected to the Sportsbar in right field. That would at least be a start, plus those buildings are truly past their prime and a real eyesore. Maybe they could work out a deal similar to what they did with the UC relocation and the Robert Talyor Homes. Again, people first, however a deal could be made to benefit everyone.

I like your angle here. This is Chicago, so remember, ANYTHING can be done. Look how the cubs snapped their fingers, and are about to acquire land adjacent to the Urinal for a "cub hall of fame" (thats an oxmoron isnt it?)

wdelaney72
03-10-2004, 11:40 AM
It's funny how they have room for a HOF, but still no parking.

What a dump.

jabrch
03-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i think you hafta be stupid not to see armour park. its a few hundred feet north of the park. i think even the "casual baseball family" could see that.

Heck - most BLIND families could see it!

ewokpelts
03-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I like your angle here. This is Chicago, so remember, ANYTHING can be done. Look how the cubs snapped their fingers, and are about to acquire land adjacent to the Urinal for a "cub hall of fame" (thats an oxmoron isnt it?)

Hank,
They OWN that land ALREADY. The car wash and hot dog stand that was there pre 2002 were leasing the land.The car wash became another cubs lot on game days. When they made thier original pitch, it was common knowledge that they owned the land.
Gene

ewokpelts
03-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by wdelaney72
It's funny how they have room for a HOF, but still no parking.

What a dump.

well...if they get thier HOF, they get more parking...the building wuill be amixed use garage/hof/restaurant/cub offices. Exactly what people want on 35th street.
Gene

Realist
03-10-2004, 12:32 PM

Sometimes the little kiddies from the neighborhood will be playing a game in the park when I'm walking to a Sox game from Jimbo's. I love to stop and watch them play before going to the Sox game. It brings back great memories of choosing up sides by "first one, second two" from my youth. :smile:

ewokpelts
03-10-2004, 12:35 PM

If the sox DONT put up a little league park up, they should renovate Amour Square and make it the "official youth field" of the sox. But, on the other hand, the little league parks built next to mlb stadiums are pretty much only for corporate outings. The brewers CHARGE teams to play there. No league setups, just whoever can pay thier rate.
Gene

billnahorodny
03-10-2004, 01:22 PM
If the sox DONT put up a little league park up, they should renovate Amour Square and make it the "official youth field" of the sox.

As the 1978 Armour Square Park Outstanding Daycamper of the Year (quite the achievement in those days), I strongly support this idea! :)