PDA

View Full Version : So Urbina is still unsigned?

Win1ForMe
03-08-2004, 11:44 PM
I don't understand it. Other than being extremely weird (too gun shooty), there's really nothing wrong with him.

I know the Sox aren't exactly printing money but wouldn't this be a smart move? I mean, what's his leverage at this point?

With Koch, Politte, Takatsu, and possibly Urbina, that's like a 5 inning game.

Rex Hudler
03-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Urbina is refusing to sign for less than the $4.5 million he made last year. That was a pay cut from the year before and he wasn't happy with that one. He has indicated he will sit out the season if he is not offered the $4.5 mil. We'll see if he sticks with that.

Last I heard the Twins offered him $2.5 million and he said "no dice".

ma-gaga
03-09-2004, 12:26 AM
His agent is royally screwing around. I think he's lost both his arbitration cases and the urbina situation has been pretty ugly.

I'd shy away from this guy for the money he wants.

jeremyb1
03-09-2004, 01:04 AM
Clearly sitting out the season will result in a huge payday for him next season. Someone needs to explain to me how the solution to receiving less money than you desire is making no money at all this season and severly limiting your ability to earn a lot of money in the future.

doublem23
03-09-2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Clearly sitting out the season will result in a huge payday for him next season. Someone needs to explain to me how the solution to receiving less money than you desire is making no money at all this season and severly limiting your ability to earn a lot of money in the future.

Baseball players don't get paid to think, jeremy; that's why they have agents. If I were Ugeth, I'd be in the market for a new one.

npdempse
03-09-2004, 01:29 AM
He does have an option besides MLB, and that's playing in Japan.

I hear the Yakult Sparrows have an opening for a closer.

crector
03-09-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Urbina is refusing to sign for less than the $4.5 million he made last year. That was a pay cut from the year before and he wasn't happy with that one. He has indicated he will sit out the season if he is not offered the $4.5 mil. We'll see if he sticks with that.

Last I heard the Twins offered him $2.5 million and he said "no dice".

I've heard that Pittsburgh has offered him a 2 years for $6 Mil. deal, but haven't heard back from him. There's still a chance that he'll be in uniform by the end of ST.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
He has indicated he will sit out the season if he is not offered the $4.5 mil. We'll see if he sticks with that.

Id be Impressed with him if he did that Actually. Would show that hes sticking to his guns instead of just Going "anywhere"
the money is. Its What Greg Maddux shouldve done, Despite the pleas of Jay Moronotti and ATA (that still continues to air commercials claiming responsibilty for getting him to sign here) he
held out til the last possible moment, and didnt really want to come back here, but the Flubby offer was the only real offer
out there. Look how that makes Maddux look now?
haha to him, because now hes a cub. the Team that Slapped him in the face, Gets to Slap him in the Face again ......by lowballing him one more time for good measure

npdempse
03-09-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Id be Impressed with him if he did that Actually. Would show that hes sticking to his guns.

Bwahaha, Urbina's sticking to his guns. Hoo boy. :D:

jamteh
03-09-2004, 12:52 PM
From what I've read, it seems like accepting less that $4.5 million per year would be an insult to him. What he doesn't understand is not being happy with a $2 million or $3 million contract is an insult to the people who work 40 hours a week and get 2 weeks of vacation a year for what many Major League Player spends on lunches during the season. Is he talented? Sure. Will I boo him if he comes to the Cell in another uniform? You got that right!

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Supposedly the Giants were talking to him as well, but the GM for the Giants said nothing is imminent and they too are far apart.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Maddux making 7-8 million a year for three years doesn't seem to me to be to 'lowballed.' And he turned down more money from the Giants because the Cubs were willing to go three years for him. Considering he's 11 wins away from 300, I'm sure the Cubs will be getting their money back just from the national publicity they'll be getting about him.

Lip

ma-gaga
03-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Urbina is correct. He is a "veteran closer", and they historically get more than $4MM a year.

Where Urbina has erred, is that the teams he's trying to leverage have no money to spend for a veteran closer.

The Yankees, Mariners, Angels, Orioles, A's, Red Sox, Philly and Cubs already have their bullpens taken care of. There's no money left out there. I think he'll cave and take $2.5MM to $3.0 MM. I mean, the only two teams that I've heard he's talking to that are "contenders" are Minny and SFG. Pittsburgh isn't there yet. Maybe Florida will take him back, but I think they've burned their bridges effectively.

SF is a wildcard. They might pay him what he wants. Minny has been shown to make a brilliant spring training signing, maybe they'll pull another Kenny Rogers out of their hat and get him on the cheap.

TheRockinMT
03-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Urbina not being signed can only mean that his agent is advising him to wait it out and see what 2/3rd's through ST brings. He might luck out and find a team that is desperate need of a relief pitcher. On the pther hand he and/or the agent may be just an unreasonable type that can't accept reality.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-09-2004, 02:41 PM
I predict the yanks or bosox will pick him up in summer after tom gordon or someone else goes down.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Considering he's 11 wins away from 300, I'm sure the Cubs will be getting their money back just from the national publicity they'll be getting about him.

Lip

Hear that Jerry? Cubs "spent" 7 million, and will make this money back three-fold with all the Publicity. Publicity that will Ironically, come to at the EXPENSE of your SOX. Mr Reinsdorf, you'll never learn ......