PDA

View Full Version : sox 5-1

soxwon
03-08-2004, 11:48 PM
with todays win i believe we are 5-1,
someone asked if these games mean much?
damn right they do- i d rather have a winning spring than a losing one.
winning is fun- fun is winning.-ozzie

we are going to be awesome, this season, you heard it here first.
da reverand has spoken.

chisox06
03-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Ah when the bats are swinging again, optimism begins to bloom and I love it. Although I have take no importance in Spring Training games, for some reason year after year the constant pessimism I have over the winter dwindles away when Spring training comes along, I think it gives us all a sense of hope. Clean slate, lets play some ball!

voodoochile
03-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by soxwon
with todays win i believe we are 5-1,
someone asked if these games mean much?
damn right they do- i d rather have a winning spring than a losing one.
winning is fun- fun is winning.-ozzie

we are going to be awesome, this season, you heard it here first.
da reverand has spoken.

Is that before or after the Sox get ARod and Maddux. I mean Da Rev promised those events too. Is this one of those tests of faith things, man? :D:

I hope you are correct. How much you have no idea. And I will grant you this much - it can't hurt to practice winning. Didn't hurt the Royals last year, IIRC...

sas1974
03-09-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Didn't hurt the Royals last year, IIRC...

Unfortunately, it didn't really help them all that much in the end either.

I would have to agree that I would rather be winning these games than losing them, but I don't really think that ST records matter. That is, I don't think you can just look at the record and say, "Wow, we're good!" or "We suck!" For instance, if we would have ended up losing yesterday's game would it have been that bit a deal? Not really since it was all minor leaguers and scrubs in there at the end. It's all about working on whatever things each player needs to work on to get ready for the regular season.

mike squires
03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Not that this means anything but in 83' the Whitesox went 20 and 7 and won their division...After 84 the Sox did not have another winning spring training record until 91...In 93 the Sox went 20 and 13 and on their division....Spring trainig must mean something cause in the Sox case it's pretty accurte how their seasons eventually turned out...

Jurr
03-09-2004, 10:17 AM
I think if you set a tone of being loose, not caring about the details, and just focusing on winning, it becomes a mindset. I look at my hometown Memphis Grizzlies. They weren't picked to make the playoffs, yet they set a premium on getting better with their mediocre talent, playing as a team, and that started with a great training camp. They are now playing great ball and are looking at a playoff berth.
If the Sox make a conscious effort to emphasize staying loose, being cohesive, and finding ways to win, that can definitely transfer into the season. Then, halfway through, we make some deals and become a contender. That's the way it works with these "small market" salaries. I still have so much anger at the fact that the Sox are in Chicago yet we're talking about small market salaries.

daveeym
03-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Spring training means squat for every team that has a great spring and goes on to have a great year there's one that ends up horrible, or one that couldn't win in the spring. If I'm not mistaken the sox had a great record last spring, everyone was hitting and then they came out and laid a major egg.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't think the spring record on the surface means that much HOWEVER Ozzie is trying to set an example to the players of intensity and playing hard all the time.

Naturally he'd rather win these games then lose them but what's more important is the way the game is being played by those who are going to actually be on the 25 man roster next month.

That's why he's come out and made comments about the base running and the fundamentals they way he did last week after the inter squad game (and I'm sure he was concerned the way the minor leaguers handled the 9th inning of the game against the A's yesterday. The only redeeming quality to that incident was the fact that they were the minor leaguers.)

Lip

SoxFan76
03-09-2004, 01:59 PM
During spring, it's not whether you win or lose, but if the starters are doing the things they need to get done during the regular season. In other words, spring is the time to be as selfish as you can be. It's a time to work on the things a player may have struggled with the year before, or brush up on the things that need improvement. So the Sox are 5-1, that's great. But guys we have never heard of play more innings than the 9 starters and pitchers that will see all the playing time during the real games. Basically, our minor leaguers are better than everyone elses minor leaguers. But still, getting this winning attitude to the team can't be bad at all. Winning is never a bad thing.

DonkeyKongerko
03-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Even the game we lost I think was a good sign. Jerry Manuel era teams did not have that comeback attitude. Wasn't it 2002 when the Sox didn't have a 7th inning or later come from behind win til like August?

CubKilla
03-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
Jerry Manuel era teams

.....Weren't dubbed the moniker "corpseball" for nothing!