PDA

View Full Version : Anybody on the Sox on steroids?

tlebar318
03-08-2004, 10:08 PM
I pray that no one is BUT if there was who is the most likely to have done so...former players like "Corky" excluded? :D:

Jjav829
03-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by tlebar318
I pray that no one is BUT if there was who is the most likely to have done so...former players like "Corky" excluded? :D:

Marvin Bernard. :smile:

tlebar318
03-08-2004, 10:12 PM
forgot about him..The San Fran connection.....

mantis1212
03-08-2004, 10:12 PM
If I had to bet on one Sox player, it would be Valentin

Mickster
03-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
If I had to bet on one Sox player, it would be Valentin

took the words out of my mouth.....

Brian26
03-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Yep.

RKMeibalane
03-08-2004, 10:16 PM
What about a former player?

:hitless

"My steroids didn't work so well."

Mickster
03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

:D: LOL

stillz
03-08-2004, 10:20 PM
Valentin has some big biceps, but I don't think he'd do it. Frank is as pure a muscle-bound giant as I've ever watched in baseball.

Mickster
03-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by stillz
Valentin has some big biceps, but I don't think he'd do it.

Look at him during his Milwaukee days.

Valentin on Brewers = Sosa on Sox

tlebar318
03-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by stillz
Valentin has some big biceps, but I don't think he'd do it. Frank is as pure a muscle-bound giant as I've ever watched in baseball.

I would be shocked if the Big Hurt was doing them--he has always been HUGE!!

RichFitztightly
03-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Somebody on this message board implied in another thread that Koch was on the roids and it was the reason he fell off last year. I thought it was an interesting hypothesis.

RichFitztightly
03-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Look at him during his Milwaukee days.

Valentin on Brewers = Sosa on Sox

Yeah, but Valentine on the Sox does not equal Sosa on the Cubs

Mickster
03-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
Somebody on this message board implied in another thread that Koch was on the roids and it was the reason he fell off last year. I thought it was an interesting hypothesis.

Doubtful. Not atypical of a pitcher on roids; huge lower body, large quads and calves, etc..

cubhater
03-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

What about Royce Clayton? Didn't he surpass his Sox career HR total in his first two months with the Brewers?

Daver
03-08-2004, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by RichFitztightly
Yeah, but Valentine on the Sox does not equal Sosa on the Cubs

The Sox have no one named Valentine on the 40 man roster.

stillz
03-08-2004, 10:38 PM
The Koch hypothesis is interesting. He's fairly cooky, and wound pretty tight. Last season would have been the one to get clean quick. I'm excited to hear he's throwing 94 already.

voodoochile
03-09-2004, 12:13 AM
I always thought Konerko was taking them. If the rumored hip condition is true, then he could have been using them to off set the problems. Would help explain why he sucked so bad last year and why his swing looked so damned horrible all season.

Jjav829
03-09-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I always thought Konerko was taking them. If the rumored hip condition is true, then he could have been using them to off set the problems. Would help explain why he sucked so bad last year and why his swing looked so damned horrible all season.

I can't imagine Konerko being on roids. In fact, I guess I can't really see many of the Sox on roids. None of them seem to fit the profile. Possibly Jose. Besides, wasn't Konerko one of the names leaked of guys who wanted to refuse the drug test last year? Or am I just making things up since I am half asleep? :smile:

RKMeibalane
03-09-2004, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Daver
The Sox have no one named Valentine on the 40 man roster.

You love saying that, don't you?

voodoochile
03-09-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
I can't imagine Konerko being on roids. In fact, I guess I can't really see many of the Sox on roids. None of them seem to fit the profile. Possibly Jose. Besides, wasn't Konerko one of the names leaked of guys who wanted to refuse the drug test last year? Or am I just making things up since I am half asleep? :smile:

I don't think Paulie was using them to bulk up, but they are a common treatment for hip problems. He might have even had a legitimate script for them from a private doctor who knew how to keep his mouth shut. I don't recall any of the players being named as wanting to refuse that test. I do remember the whole team was going to do it together, so that would include him.

Besides, we can spin it anyway we want to, there might have been some less than altruistic thoughts going on back then. I mean better to be one guy among 25 who failed because they refused to take the test than be 1 of the 2 or 3 guys who failed because they actually were taking the stuff.

I wonder who the leaders were and whether any of them "fit the profile"...

RKMeibalane
03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
I don't think Paulie was using them to bulk up, but they are a common treatment for hip problems. He might have even had a legitimate script for them from a private doctor who knew how to keep his mouth shut. I don't recall any of the players being named as wanting to refuse that test. I do remember the whole team was going to do it together, so that would include him.

Besides, we can spin it anyway we want to, there might have been some less than altruistic thoughts going on back then. I mean better to be one guy among 25 who failed because they refused to take the test than be 1 of the 2 or 3 guys who failed because they actually were taking the stuff.

I just remember that Marriotti said Frank was the man behind the operation in an attempt to make the Big Hurt look bad, but Frank didn't even know about the protest until after it happened.

RichFitztightly
03-09-2004, 12:11 PM

I seem to recall the names being mentioned in the Southtown were Sandy, Wunsch, and Valentin. Wunsch is the player rep for the Sox, so I know his name was brought up. I believe his quote was, "We thought as a team we would skip the test to guarantee that steroid testing would be implemented next year. However, we were contacted by the players union and told we should comply with the testing procedures. That is what we plan to do."

This isn't a direct quote, just my best recollection of the incedent.

I believe Sandy said something to the effect that, (again not a direct quote) "I think it's a huge disadvantage for any team not using steroids to try to compete with teams or players who are using them. I would love to see steroid testing permanately instituted."

Jjav829
03-09-2004, 12:20 PM

Well it wasn't the whole roster. It was 16 guys of those in camp who decided to go along with the idea. I suppose it's possible that there were guys who decided to go along with it rather than fail by taking the test. Who knows. It's all speculation at this point.

cheeses_h_rice
03-09-2004, 12:20 PM
If I were to guess, my picks would be Jose V. and Rowand.

Iwritecode
03-09-2004, 01:02 PM
:canseco

SoxFan76
03-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't think Rowand does. He busts hit butt every offseason to get in the shape that he is in. I remembe reading articles about his great work ethic in the weight room. (Now everyone make your jokes about how he doesn't work on his defense)

batmanZoSo
03-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by tlebar318

I would say Rowand has the highest potential. He's got a lot of Lenny Dykstra in him (little guy power). Not to mention his trapezius muscles are insane. He has the proportions of McGwire only one half his overall size.