PDA

View Full Version : HELP! - Question about MLB Gameday Audio

SoxEd
03-08-2004, 05:27 PM
So, ESPN1000 still don't do webstreaming, and I don't own a radio that'll pick up an AM signal from Chicago, so I'm pretty much looking at buying MLB Gameday Audio - the only problem is I can't find out any details about it before subscribing (such as how many Sox games does it cover?).

I know it doesn't have anything other than silence between Innings (annoying), and I would like to canvass your opinion of it before I invest my ruinous fee of $14.95.

Does anyone else in the world of WSI subscribe to it already?
If so, what do you think of it?
Is it worth buying?

What other choices do I have - are there any web-streamed stations that broadcast Sox games?

Can I listen to the previous day's game coverage on it? (most games at the Cell start at 0300 UK time, so listening live isn't ideal for getting in to work!)

Cheers,
Ed.

rmusacch
03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd
So, ESPN1000 still don't do webstreaming, and I don't own a radio that'll pick up an AM signal from Chicago, so I'm pretty much looking at buying MLB Gameday Audio - the only problem is I can't find out any details about it before subscribing (such as how many Sox games does it cover?).

I know it doesn't have anything other than silence between Innings (annoying), and I would like to canvass your opinion of it before I invest my ruinous fee of $14.95.

Do anyone else in the world of WSI subscribe to it already?
If so, what do you think of it?
Is it worth buying?

What other choice do I have?

Can I listen to the previous day's game coverage on it? (most games at the Cell start at 0300 UK time, so listening live isn't ideal for getting in to work!)

Cheers,
Ed.

They play every game that the local station broadcasts, which is all the games. The games are available on archive. It is well worth it.

SoxEd
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Fantastic, thankyou very much - I guess I'll take the plunge then :smile:

daveeym
03-08-2004, 05:39 PM
Maybe you've been asked before. But I figured you were just a transplanted chicagoan. But the more posts of yours I read it seems that's not the case. Just curious, how'd you come to be a Sox fan.

brocco bry
03-08-2004, 05:39 PM
It will meet your needs. You get a little pregame stuff and the whole game. Some stations just run the feed without commercials and you can hear the dialouge in the booth.

SoxEd
03-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by daveeym
Maybe you've been asked before. But I figured you were just a transplanted chicagoan. But the more posts of yours I read it seems that's not the case. Just curious, how'd you come to be a Sox fan.

No, I'm not a transplanted Chicagoan - I am English through and through - I was born in Burton-upon-Trent (a town famous only for its many breweries including Bass and Marston's, and for making the beer by-product Marmite) in Staffordshire - a county famous for nothing other than its rapidly dwindling ceramics industry (apart from decorative figures/plates we make most of the UK's toilets here!). Staffordshire is also home to the UK's most famous Theme Park - Alton Towers. The whole complex is probably only the size of Disneyland's staff car park.

I got into Baseball last summer, originally because I was curious about the game's similarities to and differences from Cricket, and got hooked watching the two games a week we get on Channel 5 here (Sun and Wed nights during the regular season) whilst off work through illness.

How did I come to support the Pale Hose?

A weird story: I went to University in Birmingham, England's second city, located in the English Midlands.
Birmingham has two soccer teams, Aston Villa FC and Birmingham City FC.
When I was at Uni, Birmingham were very much the 'minority' team in the city, being in the First Divison (the one just below the Premiership), whilst Villa were in the Premiership, and having supposedly got really rough blue-collar fans.
Villa drew big crowds, got loads of press coverage, and had a rich owner. Despite this they never spent enough money on players to challenge for the title, or various Cup competitions here.
Like most Brits, I tend to root for the underdog, so, for my sins, I ended up supporting Birmingham City, who never win anything (To give you an idea of how good Birmingham City are, and their prospects of winning any silverware, I think a Sox WS title is likely to happen long before a BCFC FA Cup or Premiership title).
At least they finally got promoted to the Premiership prior to last season, and finished above Villa, beating them 3 - 0 at our stadium, and 2- 0 at theirs (hurrah!).

So, when I was deciding which MLB team to support, I looked at large cities in the middle of the USA, and Chicago seemed to be the obvious choice for me.

Why? Because, looking at the two teams in Chicago, I found out that neither had won the big one for donkeys' years, and that one team was really famous, got loads of press, and seemed to make pots of money for its owners, who never made the effort to win, while the other one was deemed to be a 'minority' team with unattractive blue-collar fans.

So I joined the (very) scattered ranks of White Sox fans in the UK.

Of course, I don't personally know any other fans, but then baseball is very much a minority sport in this country, (even more so than Cricket :D: ) although the coverage on a 'free to air' station has brought the game to many more people's attention (e.g. me) and the quality newspapers have now started to pay more attention to the sport - even this year actually having written pieces covering the ALCS & NLCS as well as the WS (before this year I've only ever noticed the game results each day).

Most of my friends think I'm strange because of my interest in MLB, but then they thought I was strange when they only knew about my interest in Cricket.

Channel 5 here obviously chooses which game they're going to broadcast, so following the Sox is hard, esp as it tends to be East Coast games to fit the UK scheduling slot (even they start around 1 am BST!).
I understand that each MLB team will be shown live at least twice per season, but it obviously means that we see mostly Yankees, BoSox, Phillies or Braves games. :(:

I tend to 'watch' the Sox games on Gameday, and this board.
But then I'm about to get the Audio stream too, so my knowledge will hopefully improve tremendously!

Cheers,
Ed.

kbriley
03-09-2004, 10:08 AM
The only thing to be wary of is your connection. If you use a dial up connection the feed can often stall or disconnect. however, if you have broadband etc. it works perfectly. By the way, you do hear all of the commercials between innings as well. Shoeless Joe's, jerrods jewelry etc.

daveeym
03-09-2004, 10:19 AM
That's a great Sox story. :gulp:

soxtalker
03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by daveeym
That's a great Sox story. :gulp:

I'll second that. I think that it is more than
simply a personal story (though a good one
at that); rather, I think that it embodies
what a lot of us feel about the Sox.