PDA

View Full Version : Esteban back to Tijuana?

IlliniSox
03-08-2004, 04:14 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040308/news_1s8esteban.html

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 04:33 PM
This is Very Troubling News. The Padres are experiencing
a renaissance of sorts, though temporary. But the fact that a team from the 3rd Largest Market in the US has to worry about the Padres, a team thats held 3 Fire Sales in its brief history,
is unsettling indeed. What an incredible slap in the face it would be, if E-Lo has another good season, and the SOX lose him to the Padres, because of our "payroll" constrictions.
*sigh*

CHISOXFAN13
03-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
a renaissance of sorts, though temporary. But the fact that a team from the 3rd Largest Market in the US has to worry about the Padres, a team thats held 3 Fire Sales in its brief history,
is unsettling indeed. What an incredible slap in the face it would be, if E-Lo has another good season, and the SOX lose him to the Padres, because of our "payroll" constrictions.
*sigh*

Why temporary? You don't think that new ballpark and the revenue that will come from it will help them be as competitive as the Ginats have become annually? I certainly do.

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Why temporary? You don't think that new ballpark and the revenue that will come from it will help them be as competitive as the Ginats have become annually? I certainly do.

Revenue Sharing. and a Real Salary Cap. We've seen what happens when teams get new stadiums (reds, pirates, brewers)
doesnt solve the real problem in baseball. The Padres will be competitive, they'll fill up the park for the first 2 yrs, but when the "pay-no-fees-first-year" "make-no-payment-til-next-year!" hoopla wears off, the Padres will give their players away again
and go back to Stinking. Except they'll do it in a Much Nicer Stadium and wearing their nicer, Brewer-esque uniforms.

joecrede
03-08-2004, 04:59 PM
*sigh*

I just hope they don't lose Buehrle to the Cardinals.

IlliniSox
03-08-2004, 05:02 PM

Revenue Sharing. and a Real Salary Cap. We've seen what happens when teams get new stadiums (reds, pirates, brewers)
doesnt solve the real problem in baseball. The Padres will be competitive, they'll fill up the park for the first 2 yrs, but when the "pay-no-fees-first-year" "make-no-payment-til-next-year!" hoopla wears off, the Padres will give their players away again
and go back to Stinking. Except they'll do it in a Much Nicer Stadium and wearing their nicer, Brewer-esque uniforms.

I agree. Sherrif Bud's new stadium argument hasn't held water since the Indians broke up 5 years ago.

Yet...the Padres do have a lineup to work with for the near future w/ Nevin, Klesko, and my man Giles. It's a shame that their "ace" is due to get struck by lightning one of these days.

DSpivack
03-08-2004, 05:25 PM
San Diego to me seems different from Cincinatti, Milwaukee, or Pittsburgh. As a city, it's much different- it's not in the rust belt, it's in quickly growing Southern California. As a team, the Padres must compete with the likes of the Dodgers and the Giants, instead of the lackies in the NL Central. Though Pittsburgh does seem to have a nice stadium, the neighborhood around PetCo seems ripe for a boom centered around the stadium. There a lot of Cub fans in San Diego- it used to be a Cub game there got more Cubs fans than Padre fans (big surprise), but for some reason I think this team is different- I think this team might just stay competitive.

StillMissOzzie
03-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
I just hope they don't lose Buehrle to the Cardinals.

Buehrle's under contract for the next 2 years w/ an option on the 3rd year. The only way we lose him to the Cards is in a trade.

SMO
:D:

Iguana775
03-08-2004, 08:52 PM
if Loiaza comes out half as good, they got to resign him long term by the all star break. he was a godsend to the staff last year and we should try to keep him if he proves last year wasnt a fluke.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Well remember what some fans here at WSI have been saying...it's foolish to give any long term contracts to any pitchers.

After all, they could get hit by a bus tomorrow, trip and fall on their shoulder, get hit by a foul ball in the dugout, tear a rotator cuff punching the elevator button...you know, then the Sox would be stuck with the contract. No pitcher is worth that kind of risk! (Even though that doesn't seem to bother any other MLB team...)

LOL

As Hal says the Sox attitude is 'you can never have enough pitching...so why bother?'

Lip

joecrede
03-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Well remember what some fans here at WSI have been saying...it's foolish to give any long term contracts to any pitchers.

After all, they could get hit by a bus tomorrow, trip and fall on their shoulder, get hit by a foul ball in the dugout, tear a rotator cuff punching the elevator button...you know, then the Sox would be stuck with the contract. No pitcher is worth that kind of risk! (Even though that doesn't seem to bother any other MLB team...)

LOL

As Hal says the Sox attitude is 'you can never have enough pitching...so why bother?'

Lip

Lip, is there anything the Sox do that you agree with?

owensmouth
03-08-2004, 11:45 PM
If Loiasa wins another 21 games this year we'll have a lot more than just San Diego to worry about. He'll be the most sought after free agent in baseball.

San Dieo? How about Anaheim? Remember them? They're just a few miles north of San Diego and their new owner is a billionaire of Mexican ancestry.

Loiasa will be 33 next year. He'll be looking for big bucks. George has big bucks...

SSN721
03-09-2004, 07:43 AM
If he repeats his performance from 2003 I dont really see anyway the Sox will pay to keep him. I dont know whether to hope for that and bid him farewell or hope for a 14-16 win year so maybe he wont be as pricey but will still be a solid starter at a somewhat reasonable price. Certainly another 20+ win season will add 4-6 million to his current salary (if not more). Whatever happens, hopefully he can still anchor the staff and some others can step up like he did last year so it wont be as hard to let him go as it would be if him and Burhle end up being our only solid starters. :(:

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Joe:

I agree with this. The Sox have great looking uniforms.

Unless the Sox actually win a championship in my lifetime, nothing else they do matters one iota to me.

Lip

Brian26
03-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Lip

And Uncle Jerry can sleep well at night knowing that Alex Fernandez, Jack McDowell, Jason Bere, Wilson Alvarez, Mike Sirotka, and James Baldwin aren't cashing checks from him every two weeks.

Foulke might be the exception, but time will really tell if it was a mistake to let him go.

Lip- It's smart business. I think the Colon offer this offseason was worthwhile, and if Loaiza puts up big numbers again, I'm sure the Sox will entertain signing him.

If it was my money, I'd be just as careful as JR is.

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Brian:

We'll have to diagree then. The object of sports is to win, not automatically make a profit. If that is the goal of this ownership (i.e. make a profit over winning), then they are in the wrong business.

Oh... by the way as has been shown by the number of tickets sold by the Yankees after getting A-Rod, and the number of tickets sold by the Angels this off season, you CAN do both. But the onus is on ownership to make the first move, not the other way around.

and an addendum to Joe Crede:

There is definately one thing the Sox could do that I'd agree with...for this dysfunctional, arrogant, vindictive ownership group to sell. hell, I'd fly back to Chicago to help them pack, that's how much I'd support it.

Lip

WinningUgly!
03-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Unless the Sox actually win a championship in my lifetime, nothing else they do matters one iota to me.

Lip

Funny...
Uncle Jerry and I are now square on the table. (I never thought I'd say THAT!)
-Lip 7-01-03

Lip Man 1
03-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Winning that's correct... last year.

You'll also find a post or two around the same time frame where I say that what happens in the future to my opinion, will be determined by what the Sox do in the off season.

But at the time Uncle Jerry did the right thing by allowing his G.M. to go out and get players. (of course he really didn't pick up any salary but that's splitting hairs.)

You'll also find a post where I say only an "idiot could complain about how the Sox are going right now and I'm not an idiot." That was composed in early August when the Sox had won something like 12 of 13.

In the future please tell the whole story. Thank you.

Lip