PDA

View Full Version : Boers & Bernstein Today Rip Cubs over"non-essential" personnell flap

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 03:20 PM
Got to hand it to these guys.......they are certainly covering the topics that are in the forefront today. They ripped the Cubs for basically refusing to obey the "Commissioners" ruling that Anyone not directly associated with the team must be out of the locker room. Every team has already ousted "assistants" and the like.....except the Cubs. Andy McPhail, team president has stepped into the spotlite and as of yesterday, was STILL SAYING that "we'll work this out by end of spring training". B&B ripped them by saying there was nothing to "work out" and that they should just Obey the Ruling like every other team is doing. They replayed a soundbyte in which Bud "Puppet" Selig was saying that he was "good friends" with Sammy (whats wrong with that picture) but that he was going to stick to his guns on the issue, there is no leeway around it. Funny because then McPhail makes his comments afterwards saying "we'll get this worked out". The prevailing thought is the Cubs will simply "Create" a new position for this julian martinez clown, and they'll Circumvent the System, just like they always do. Nice Franchise huh? Reason # 9, 871 why I hate this team.

Just like in the Situation in which they were being Moved to the Western Division (which they didnt want because would get less $$$ they could charge for advertising-less primetime games-never mind they took advantage of geographical inequity with the Reds/Braves) and disguised it as, and I quote "We'll lose our Fanbase if we have to play more west coast games" they will Ignore the "rule". What a load of BullJunk. When the Sox play the A's and Mariners, do we become Less sox fans? no. somehow, cub fans, dumb as they are, bought it hook, line and sinker. Cubs eventually ignored the ruling and ran the commissioner out of office. SO how does this affect the White Sox? well, once they cubs pull this Jive move in a couple weeks, Every team will then pull the same thing, and we'll be right back where we started again, with a bunch of people hanging around the clubhouse that shouldnt be there.

Jerko
03-08-2004, 03:22 PM
They want to make that guy a "batting practice pithcer" or something. They will.

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 03:26 PM
While B&B went on their tirade over the issue, they took a call from a Cubfan who asked them why they were so gungho on the issue. He said "sammys assistant helps the team in other ways"
and "why is it a big deal, he helps with fungoes" "Sammy needs him to help him, would be unfair". Caller mentioned that "Giambi and Bonds" get to have assistants. Boers and Bern ripped the guy by letting him know that NO, indeed everyone is banished and theyve complied with the ruling already.
Caller feined ignorance on that fact, then said something to the extent that what if it hurts sammy in the long run. When sammy is happy, he hits. B&B mocked the guy and said hes a grown man.....he doesnt need someone to fetch gatorade for him. Caller got frustrated and said fine, he understood, but this could hurt sammy and the cubs basically.
I laughed my butt off in the car, thinking to myself once again, cub fans are the dumbest fans ive ever met

Frater Perdurabo
03-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Caller got frustrated and said fine, he understood, but this could hurt sammy and the cubs basically.

Hangar, what you are forgetting is that when Sammy succeeds and the Cubs win, it is good for baseball!

faneidde
03-08-2004, 04:46 PM
He said "sammys assistant helps the team in other ways"

He must cork bats for other players too.

sas1974
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
He said "sammys assistant helps the team in other ways"

You'll get a cramp trying to reach around and stick yourself in the arse w/ that needle. That's where Julian comes in. :D:

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 06:03 PM
If anyone is listening, Silvi on AM1000 seems to think the Sosa/Martinez Essential baseball person issue is BEING BLOWN UP TOO MUCH. Im currently trying to call him to give him a piece of my mind.......

pinwheels3530
03-08-2004, 06:14 PM
I m suprised Sammy didn't try to blame Martinez for giving him the corked bat!!!

If this was Frank Thomas not following the rules the media & choke fans would be ripping him right now!

davidleeroth
03-08-2004, 07:14 PM
the thing i've noticed in the last couple weeks is that no matter how confident cub fans seem to be on the outside about winning the world series, they're actually hanging on to to a thread for dear life. they're touchy, the whole bartman thing really, really messed them up. just say the name 'bartman' to a cub fan and see the twitch that goes up his spine. they know that 1 small thing, like ticking off sammy by removing his yes man from the clubhouse could be the catalyst for the pending implosion. this is just getting way too good to be true.

Maximo
03-09-2004, 10:27 AM
I am going to try to keep my dislike for the Cubs and my contempt for Sammy Sosa in check as I write this.

This whole thing with Sosa and trying to keep him content is a prime example of what has been going wrong in professional sports for a long time, now. It's the textbook case of "the tail wagging the dog". Commissioner issues an edict, under the guise that it would be better for the game, and one 'superstar' goes whining to his boss because this will not make him happy.
So, because the boss doesn't want to upset the player, the boss gets involved and promises that "we'll find some way to get around this" in order to appease the player. Meanwhile, the gutless Commissioner who issued the command in the first place, quietly waits to see what kind of a compromise can be worked out. Never once giving a lot of thought to the "can of worms that will be opened" when an exception is made for this 'headcase' and his caddie. Who in the hell is running the show, here?

Would the Cubs make a big deal out of this if Michael Barrett went crying to McPhail that he needs some clown to go pick up his chicken or open up his bottles of Gatoraid for him? Probably not.......but because the "world is lost in the illusion of what is Sammy", they'll bend over backwards to make sure they don't piss him off. No wonder the guy is full of himself. We keep giving him reasons to think that the game revolves around him.

Obviously, Sammy is not the first and only 'superstar' to occupy a spot on a professional sports team where the ownership has made a decision that what's best for one guy is best for all of us.
The NBA and NFL are full of these kinds of guys. Sammy and the Cubs just take it to such a degree that it's almost comical. Cubs management looks absolutely ridiculous supporting Sammy over this matter.

And to think we debated for weeks in this forum whether Frank Thomas "being Frank", was good or bad for the chemistry in the Sox clubhouse. What kind of clubhouse atmosphere can you maintain when one of the guys in it has the power to tell the Commissioner of baseball to "jam it" and apparently is going to get away with it.

DrCrawdad
03-10-2004, 01:55 AM
If anyone is listening, Silvi on AM1000 seems to think the Sosa/Martinez Essential baseball person issue is BEING BLOWN UP TOO MUCH. Im currently trying to call him to give him a piece of my mind.......

Interesting. Yeah Silvi, the Cubbies have put team president Andy Sweatervest on this Sosa/Martinez essential person matter and it's the media making it a big deal. Give me a break!

DrCrawdad
03-10-2004, 02:05 AM
http://images.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/thumbnails/columnist/2002-04/2565201.jpg

...But, please, let's get something straight: Martinez is wearing a Cubs uniform for no other reason than Sammy Sosa wants him to be wearing one. It might be that Martinez's duties have evolved to the point where he helps other players, as the Cubs have argued, but he's there for Sosa...

The clubhouse is supposed to be a sanctuary for players. A uniform is supposed to be something a player or coach earns. Being an associate of a superstar shouldn't gain you entry into a clubhouse or get you fitted for a jersey.

For Sosa, Martinez's presence falls under the category of "Things a Superstar is Supposed to Have." Jason Giambi has had a personal trainer in the Yankees' clubhouse on a daily basis. Barry Bonds has had his people by his locker for years. So Sosa follows suit. Or uniform.

A player wants to live large. It's baseball's duty to make sure he doesn't get too large.

:nandrolone
"I don't have no ego."

ShoelessFred
03-10-2004, 04:03 AM

SILVI is such a moron.

Maximo
03-10-2004, 09:37 AM
When you stop to think of all the guys who have played minor league baseball and never made it....all dreaming someday to have the honor of wearing a major league jersey in a big league clubhouse and maybe out on the field......and this clown gets one handed to him because the Cubs don't want to upset Sammy.

Doesn't this idiot have any pride in himself?

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Maximo
When you stop to think of all the guys who have played minor league baseball and never made it....all dreaming someday to have the honor of wearing a major league jersey in a big league clubhouse and maybe out on the field......and this clown gets one handed to him because the Cubs don't want to upset Sammy.

Doesn't this idiot have any pride in himself?

There are pictures of this Clown....in FULL UNIFORM, dancing around the field, spraying "champagne" like he was an actual player, mugging for the cameras.

DrCrawdad
03-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Cubbie team president Andy Sweatervest in his defense of the situation said that Martinez has pitched BP. The question I have is how many times has Martinez done this? Once? Twice?

Hangar18
03-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Cubbie team president Andy Sweatervest in his defense of the situation said that Martinez has pitched BP. The question I have is how many times has Martinez done this? Once? Twice?

the Fact that the TEAM PRESIDENT is involved, and spewing cubpoganda (so that Mike Kiley can quickly get into his 3rd person persona, and write a pro-Julian Martinez fluff piece)
tells you the Cubs have No Intention on adhering to the Commissioners Rule. MLB has rules.....and the CUbs have their own apparently. Selig is going to quickly realize the monster MLB/Media has helped create with that Franchise

DrCrawdad
03-10-2004, 12:11 PM
the Fact that the TEAM PRESIDENT is involved, and spewing cubpoganda (so that Mike Kiley can quickly get into his 3rd person persona, and write a pro-Julian Martinez fluff piece)
tells you the Cubs have No Intention on adhering to the Commissioners Rule. MLB has rules.....and the CUbs have their own apparently. Selig is going to quickly realize the monster MLB/Media has helped create with that Franchise

Remember too last year when Bud Selig went to Sammy's birthday bash, some said that Bud Selig, the commissioner of baseball, should not be going to a player's birthday party because of at least the appearance that that was inappropriate. This of course happened just after Selig had his white wash crew assigned to white wash Sammy "The Cheat" in the corked bat matter. Now another matter involving Sammy "I have no ego" Sosa where Selig's judgement, or lack thereof, may be called into question.

I wonder if Bud Selig attended ethics classes with Justice Scalia???

depy48
03-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

or even better to who did he pitch batting practice to...
probably just the sham-me

rahulsekhar
03-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by depy48
or even better to who did he pitch batting practice to...
probably just the sham-me

Who better to help him "show off for the fans" than the guy who corked his bat?

Irishsox1
03-10-2004, 02:00 PM
I've got a list of jobs Sammy's buddy can do:

1. Steroid Needle Cleaner
2. Corked Bat Stuffer Guy
3. 8th inning/Bartman Vodoo Dance Clown
4. Dusty's toothpick changer
5. Sammy's Broken Rum Bottle Cleaner Upper
6. Dusty's wristband changer
7. Dusty's new "Hommie", now that Manual left town.
8. Dresses up as token drunk Cubs fan on cell phone calling "frat bros" back in Iowa.
9. Chairman of the "Santo for Hall" campaign
10. Get the crowd to do the "Alou Hop" from game 6 during the 7th inning stretch.