PDA

View Full Version : Gammons is a Moron...

Tekijawa
03-08-2004, 01:24 PM
From the Headlines of the ESPN.COM website...

Gammons: The Cardinal rule
Not only is Albert Pujols not only relentless in pursuit of greatness, but he also embraces being a role model.

Looks like he needs a thesaurus...

JRIG
03-08-2004, 01:31 PM
I also find it ironic Gammons is holding up Pujols as an example of what baseball needs when he's a guy who more than likely has lied about his age.

Baby Fisk
03-08-2004, 01:40 PM
I always laugh when I see thread titles like this. Shouldn't it be:

"Gammons is a Moron: #361 in a Continuing Series"

TheRockinMT
03-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
I always laugh when I see thread titles like this. Shouldn't it be:

"Gammons is a Moron: #361 in a Continuing Series"

I have to agree with you there BabyFisk. It seems it is a constant. Every time Gammons tries to be smart he shows us he ain't!

npdempse
03-08-2004, 01:54 PM
It's not like Gammons is typing this crap in and it gets published on the web with nobody's input. If anybody's a moron this time it's ESPN's copy editor.

If you want to criticize Gammons, pick something of substance, like his inane use of obtuse allusions to pop songs. A few weeks ago he was comparing Steinbrenner to Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy" without ever explicating the comparison. Mind boggling.

jackbrohamer
03-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
If you want to criticize Gammons, pick something of substance, like his inane use of obtuse allusions to pop songs. A few weeks ago he was comparing Steinbrenner to Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy" without ever explicating the comparison. Mind boggling.

How about the fact that 99% of what he "reports" on are unsubstantiated rumors that people tell him. ("One General Manager told me that today is Wednesday." Great reporting Pete.) The best I can say for him is that he's ESPN's version of a gossip columnist

StillMissOzzie
03-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I also find it ironic Gammons is holding up Pujols as an example of what baseball needs when he's a guy who more than likely has lied about his age.

Let those of you who never lied about their age to buy beer cast the first stone...

SMO
:gulp:

pudge
03-08-2004, 06:32 PM
This is most likely an editor's fault... sometimes editors actually screw up writers' copy in their attempts to edit it... Don't be picking on Gammons for petty stuff like this...

sas1974
03-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by pudge
This is most likely an editor's fault... sometimes editors actually screw up writers' copy in their attempts to edit it... Don't be picking on Gammons for petty stuff like this...

...not when there are sooooooooooooo many valid reasons to pick on him.

ChiSox14305635
03-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Gammons: The Cardinal rule
Not only is Albert Pujols not only relentless in pursuit of greatness, but he also embraces being a role model.

$100 million sure doesn't hurt either.

ShoelessFred
03-09-2004, 04:13 AM
*throws stone*

SSN721
03-09-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by pudge

I agree, although we all hate Gammons, this is a rather stupid thing to rip him for. I would certainly blame an editor before him. Not trying to defend him by any means I beleive he is pretty much a pompous windbag, but there are lots of other things we can rip him for. This is quite petty.

Railsplitter
03-09-2004, 08:57 AM
I tend to agree that Peter Gammons is not the brightest bulb in the chadelier, but As Jay Leno can tell you, proofreading does not take high priority at newspapers, and webs sites probably are no better.