PDA

View Full Version : Chicago NewsMedia Watch 3/8/04

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 10:17 AM
**********Countdown to 100 Begins**************
The Sox Tragic Number is 8, as today they manage to lose 2 more
"stories" to the cubs. They have only gained on the other team
just once since Spring Training began. Since then, theyve steadily lost ground every day. Cubs are 8 extra stories away from taking a 100 Story Lead on the SOX since springtraining began. What is amazing about this, is also the fact the Cubs will hit the 200 story plateau by the time the Opening Day comes.

Elliot Harris wrote a nice piece in his sometimes bogus "quick hits" column. He rips Dusty for his "its always something" comment regarding steroids. He points out that Dusty realizes a lot of players are afraid of the implications, including a certain player on his team. He Also takes on BudSeligs supposed "zero" tolerance rule, and how the rule has slightly changed to the "hero" tolerance rule. Cubs are trying to say Sammys "assistant" is more than that to the cubs, he washes towels, pitches BP etc. Sammy had the nerve last week to say the Fact that this clown was on the field celebrating with them, and they voted a "playoff share" should mean hes a personnell too now. Of course, that column last week was written in the 3rd person to showcase sammys view and noone elses. Who wrote that Sammy Assistant Defense piece? Mike Kiley of course

Chicago Cub-Times:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Chicago Cubune:
3 cub stories
2 sox stories

Laughable Media Standings as of 3/8/04

CUBS 164
SOX 72

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 10:27 AM
by the way, it only took me 1 paragraph to determine what
Mike Kileys piece would be classified under.

StraightNewsJournalism (usually in the 3rd person)
Fluff/Cubpoganda Journalism
InvestigativeJournalism

"maddux walked on the field, towards the bullpen, when the
crowd erupted in cheers........They were even more exuberant.....
.......welcoming him back to the cubs".
Lets file this one under FLUFF/Cubpoganda Journalism.
Not to mention he wrote a very SIMILAR article to this one just
1 1/2 weeks ago on Maddux. guess this dudes just gonna
rehash all of his articles til opening day. Coming tomorrow:
The Messiahs view of the season

Lip Man 1
03-08-2004, 01:27 PM
Hangar says: "The Cubs will hit the 200 story plateau by the time the Opening Day comes."

And deservedly so. Their payroll is over 90 million...they are projected as one of the top three teams in the National League with a realistic chance to go to the World Series. They also made very big moves in the off season that automatically generated publicity.

The White Sox.......well they picked up Juan Uribe and Ross Gload!

Don't shoot the messenger Hangar. The media is trying to make money. "Fairness," has absolutely nothing to do with business. If the Sox were to start acting like a major market team with star players and a payroll to match, they'd get better coverage.

If they consider themselves a 'small market' franchise, why should the Chicago media consider then anything else?

Lip

Brian26
03-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
And deservedly so. Their payroll is over 90 million...they are projected as one of the top three teams in the National League with a realistic chance to go to the World Series. They also made very big moves in the off season that automatically generated publicity.

Two words:

TRIBUNE COMPANY.

rahulsekhar
03-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Hangar says: "The Cubs will hit the 200 story plateau by the time the Opening Day comes."

Don't shoot the messenger Hangar. The media is trying to make money. "Fairness," has absolutely nothing to do with business. If the Sox were to start acting like a major market team with star players and a payroll to match, they'd get better coverage.

If they consider themselves a 'small market' franchise, why should the Chicago media consider then anything else?

Lip

If the same disparity existed back when the Sox made the big moves (Colon, Wells, etc), then I could see your point Lip. I'm not arguing that the Sox deserve a ton of pub this season, but saying the media treats the Sox fairly if they put together what looks like a true contender is just not accurate.

joecrede
03-08-2004, 02:13 PM

And I'm perfectly okay with that explanation Lip. I just want to hear it from the sports editors. We'll never hear it from them because once they admit it the journalistic integrity of a news operation takes a beating.

Chisox_cali
03-08-2004, 04:02 PM

Lip

What do you call it when some one says the same thing over and over and over and over and over again? Oh Yeah, I think it's called:

:spam

Northside fan
03-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
What do you call it when some one says the same thing over and over and over and over and over again? Oh Yeah, I think it's called:

:spam

Is that directed towards Hangar or Lip Man? All I see from Hangar are the same, tired old media threads.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Northside fan
Is that directed towards Hangar or Lip Man? All I see from Hangar are the same, tired old media threads.

the NewsMedia threads are meant to be updates.
You'll see them everyday, because the papers publish every day

Frater Perdurabo
03-09-2004, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
the NewsMedia threads are meant to be updates.
You'll see them everyday, because the papers publish every day

Keeping bringing it, Hangar. Don't let others intimidate you into squelching the truth.

Hangar18
03-09-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
Keeping bringing it, Hangar. Don't let others intimidate you into squelching the truth.

Thats whats funny about the Truth, many are afraid of it
(chicago media, cub fans)

PaulDrake
03-09-2004, 09:48 AM
To me Hangar is the "defender of the faith". I'm not a big fan of Sox management, but no matter who was running the Sox the media coverage would be somewhat slanted in our disfavor. The modern media is thin and vacuous beyond belief. The northsiders are a national "cause celebre". It's probably going to get much worse. Keep sticking up for us Hangar.