PDA

View Full Version : A Couple Weeks From Now

jeremyb1
03-08-2004, 12:19 AM
I want to write this now so my argument holds even greater weight down the line. In a week or two, the hitters are going to catch up to the pitchers and then due largely to Tucson's altitude as well as the nature of spring training, our pitchers will start to get lit up and there will be threads abound about how we don't have any pitching past Loaiza and Buehrle. So, I just want to point this out now and get a head start on arguing that the spring does not matter!

StockdaleForVeep
03-08-2004, 01:12 AM
Doesnt that happen for pretty much every club in spring training? Or in regular season baseball itself, hitters arent just neanderthals who swing a big club and scratch their "corks"

munchman33
03-08-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I want to write this now so my argument holds even greater weight down the line. In a week or two, the hitters are going to catch up to the pitchers and then due largely to Tucson's altitude as well as the nature of spring training, our pitchers will start to get lit up and there will be threads abound about how we don't have any pitching past Loaiza and Buehrle. So, I just want to point this out now and get a head start on arguing that the spring does not matter!

It happens to every team that way. Once their bat speeds pick up, the Arizona air will give the hitters a serious advantage.

jeremyb1
03-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by munchman33
It happens to every team that way. Once their bat speeds pick up, the Arizona air will give the hitters a serious advantage.

Yeah. There's nothing we can do about it and there's nothing wrong with it. The problem I have is all the posts that will inevitably pop up about how the sky is falling.

TommyJohn
03-08-2004, 01:29 AM
The problem I have is all the posts that will inevitably pop up about how the sky is falling.

You mean it isn't?

Rex Hudler
03-08-2004, 01:53 AM
Yeah. There's nothing we can do about it and there's nothing wrong with it. The problem I have is all the posts that will inevitably pop up about how the sky is falling.

Man think of how many runs Oakland will score then if they are scoring 26 runs in a game now! ;)

doublem23
03-08-2004, 01:56 AM
The problem I have is all the posts that will inevitably pop up about how the sky is falling.

Where have you been, jeremy? You'd think we were the Tigers 'round here.

sas1974
03-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by munchman33

So I guess it's a good thing we're not the Diamondbacks. They don't get to leave.

Lip Man 1
03-08-2004, 12:30 PM
Jeremy must have forgotten that a few years ago the A's had a spring ERA in the low 4's...and they train in Arizona.

Lip

jeremyb1
03-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Jeremy must have forgotten that a few years ago the A's had a spring ERA in the low 4's...and they train in Arizona.

Lip

Not Tucson though. I'm quite sure that the altitude in Tucson is higher than Phoenix.

Edit: Digging around on the net it looks like Tucson's altitude is around 2500-3000 feet where Phoenix is more like 1200 feet above sea level.

pudge
03-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Sox pitchers got torched from Day One in spring of 2002, and many of them carried over their lousy performance into the season... last year, they never really got torched - remember Koch and his 11 scoreless innings?

So who knows what it all means... a lot of them are throwing the ball well, so it's a good sign.

Except Schoey... the hitters don't need any extra time to be able to pound him.