PDA

View Full Version : I think I found a good Ross Gload comparison


SoxxoS
03-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Doug Mientkiewicz.

Similar to Gload- Doug had a couple major league stints where he stuggled, before playing full-time when he was 26. He is a lefty 1Baseman with a good glove. He had a breakout season hitting .306 with a .386 OBP.

Thoughts?

doublem23
03-07-2004, 05:17 PM
But is Gload a big whiny bitch?

SoxxoS
03-07-2004, 05:19 PM
Good point. Does anyone have that page to compare both their minor league stats?

Jjav, Daver et al...-Can you move this thread to the Sox Clubhouse. I posted in the Parking lot on accident.

SEALgep
03-07-2004, 05:22 PM
Gload appears to have more power, but we'll see if that translates to the majors. He looks real good though, I'm glad to have him.

The_Floridian
03-07-2004, 05:25 PM
I find that Gload is much easier to spell.

MisterB
03-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Good point. Does anyone have that page to compare both their minor league stats?

Jjav, Daver et al...-Can you move this thread to the Sox Clubhouse. I posted in the Parking lot on accident.

This should help:

Ross Gload (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=4252)

Doug Mientkiewicz (http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=702)

SoxxoS
03-07-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks, Mister.

Looking at the two, they are pretty similar. Ross hit for better power but Mientkiewicz has the great plate discipline. I don't think Ross is going to get the fulltime chance, though.

SoxFan76
03-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Gload is worth keeping around though. If Konerko doesn't turn it around this year, and I have faith that he will, I think everyone will be glad we have Gload. Even with the surplus of DH/1B types on this team, Gload seems much more versatile than the Konerkos, Franks, and Lees. And if I remember correctly, Gload can play LF too, right?

hold2dibber
03-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Gload will make us miss Daubach.

SEALgep
03-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Gload will make us miss Daubach. The teal button is right next to the font button in case you were looking for it. :D:

munchman33
03-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Gload will make us miss Daubach.

Having Royce Clayton in his stead wouldn't make me miss Daubach.

The Big Squirt
03-08-2004, 11:39 AM
I heard on the score this morning that Oz was going to try him in CF. Can he play that position? Has he at any level? Whats going on here? It looks like Oz likes him and is trying to find somewhere that he can stick.

SEALgep
03-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by The Big Squirt
I heard on the score this morning that Oz was going to try him in CF. Can he play that position? Has he at any level? Whats going on here? It looks like Oz likes him and is trying to find somewhere that he can stick. I heard they tried him out there and he did pretty well. The reason for it is because there a two utility spots left for the team since Alomar Jr. and Uribe have secured two spots and we are going to have 12 pitchers. If Gload can be a complete fourth outfielder able to play every one of the spots, then we can have an additional spot for a guy like Burke to be able to play third when giving Crede days off as well as having an additional catcher on the roster.

koch44
03-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by The Big Squirt
I heard on the score this morning that Oz was going to try him in CF. Can he play that position? Has he at any level? Whats going on here? It looks like Oz likes him and is trying to find somewhere that he can stick.


:ozzie

*TINKER*TINKER*TINKER*

Randar68
03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by koch44
:ozzie

*TINKER*TINKER*TINKER*

Lee - Gload - Maggs...

Might be the worst OF range in the history of baseball.

jeremyb1
03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Lee - Gload - Maggs...

Might be the worst OF range in the history of baseball.

Well Rowand can't play 162 games so someone else on the roster is going to have to spell him in center.

Daver
03-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Well Rowand can't play 162 games so someone else on the roster is going to have to spell him in center.


I would rather not see Rowand play any games in center.

SoxxoS
03-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I would rather not see Rowand play any games in center.

Shocking.

Randar68
03-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I would rather not see Rowand play any games in center.

I don't mind if he plays center, but only as an emergency replacement or used sparingly, so pretty much the same idea.

SEALgep
03-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Rowand is going to be a fine center fielder this year.

Randar68
03-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Rowand is going to be a fine center fielder this year.

Wait, repeat it again, maybe then it will be gospel.

SEALgep
03-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Wait, repeat it again, maybe then it will be gospel. Well begging for him to fail isn't going to do much either.

jeremyb1
03-08-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Rowand is going to be a fine center fielder this year.

We probably don't need to rehash this discussion for the upteenth time but briefly, I will say I have tons of confidence in Rowand's fielding in CF. Defensive stats leave something to be desired but virtually every method of defensive statistical analysis says Rowand is significantly above average in center.

hold2dibber
03-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Rowand is going to be a fine center fielder this year.

Do you think anyone on the Sox is not going to be "fine" this year? IIRC, you think Harris will be fine leading off and playing 2B, that Konerko will be fine, Rowand will be fine. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but odds are, some of these guys are going to fail.

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Do you think anyone on the Sox is not going to be "fine" this year? IIRC, you think Harris will be fine leading off and playing 2B, that Konerko will be fine, Rowand will be fine. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but odds are, some of these guys are going to fail. I think Harris will be fine, but probably not spectacular. If he can draw a fair amount of walks and have an average of .260-.275, I will be satisfied and say Harris had a fine offensive season, numbers wise anyhow. But to answer your question more specifically, out of all the hammering people do to our players (Scott, Harris, Rowand, Uribe), I have the most confidence in Rowand. So if for the umpteenth time someone says Rowand is a piece of garbage with no business starting in center, I'm going to respond for umpteenth time saying he is going to be a productive center fielder.

Frater Perdurabo
03-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
I think Harris will be fine, but probably not spectacular. If he can draw a fair amount of walks and have an average of .260-.275, I will be satisfied and say Harris had a fine offensive season, numbers wise anyhow. But to answer your question more specifically, out of all the hammering people do to our players (Scott, Harris, Rowand, Uribe), I have the most confidence in Rowand. So if for the umpteenth time someone says Rowand is a piece of garbage with no business starting in center, I'm going to respond for umpteenth time saying he is going to be a productive center fielder.

I hope that Rowand has a torrid spring and wins the CF job outright, and I hope he does so well that he's the starting CF in the All-Star game. But that probably belongs in deeppink since it's pure fantasy.

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
I hope that Rowand has a torrid spring and wins the CF job outright, and I hope he does so well that he's the starting CF in the All-Star game. But that probably belongs in deeppink since it's pure fantasy. You don't have to make the All Star team to be a productive player.

Randar68
03-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Well begging for him to fail isn't going to do much either.

I hope Rowand, Harris and Uribe turn into All Stars. However, I'm as realistic as anyone. I'm pretty even-keeled about my expectations and I have seen enough of Rowand throughout his career to know what he is and isn't capable of. I've seen more boneheaded plays in CF than I ever saw him make in LF.

On top of all of that, the Sox have PLENTY of no-walk strike-out players. Aaron Rowand is a poor-man's Ray Durham, without the OBP. Midget power? Come on...

Use a little common sense and realism instead of your only arguement that EVERYONE is going to be "fine" or "good" or whatever the flavor of the day repeat phrase is.

If you have nothing to add to the discussion, refrain from hitting that thing with all the keys sitting in front of you.

Randar68
03-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
You don't have to make the All Star team to be a productive player.

Captain OBVIOUS to the rescue again!

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Randar68


Use a little common sense and realism instead of your only arguement that EVERYONE is going to be "fine" or "good" or whatever the flavor of the day repeat phrase is.

If you have nothing to add to the discussion, refrain from hitting that thing with all the keys sitting in front of you. What did you add? You flat out say Rowand doesn't deserve to be the center fielder, and I said, in response, that he is going to be fine there. Meaning productive. Don't be a hypocrite.

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Captain OBVIOUS to the rescue again! Lol, you're reaching hardcore. That was in response to another statement, and it was certainly in context to what was said. Keep reaching though, the stars are in sight.

Frater Perdurabo
03-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
You don't have to make the All Star team to be a productive player.

And you don't have to be a productive player to make the All-Star team! ZING. :D:

The point is that I agree with most of the better talent evaluators here that Rowand is not the answer in CF, and that I hope for the Sox sake that we all are wrong.

Randar68
03-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Lol, you're reaching hardcore. That was in response to another statement, and it was certainly in context to what was said. Keep reaching though, the stars are in sight.

Seriously, do you think the long-time baseball fan you're addressing in this thread in that comment doesn't know that? You think that's some kind of profound thought?

I'm reaching? Frankly, the saturation of no-content posts is what's reaching. Over and over and over... Are you 14 years old? Doesn't seem you have much persective on the mental capacity of other people... Repeating "player X will be fine" is not adding anything to any discussion or thread. In fact, I think it significantly degrades what type of response or respect you'll receive.

Try coming up with something worth DISCUSSING and maybe inject a little something new every now and then... Right now you have over 1000 posts, and I don't think you've made more than 2 or 3 different posts, just worded differently every time.

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
And you don't have to be a productive player to make the All-Star team! ZING. :D:

The point is that I agree with most of the better talent evaluators here that Rowand is not the answer in CF, and that I hope for the Sox sake that we all are wrong. Fair enough. :smile:

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Seriously, do you think the long-time baseball fan you're addressing in this thread in that comment doesn't know that? You think that's some kind of profound thought?

I'm reaching? Frankly, the saturation of no-content posts is what's reaching. Over and over and over... Are you 14 years old? Doesn't seem you have much persective on the mental capacity of other people... Repeating "player X will be fine" is not adding anything to any discussion or thread. In fact, I think it significantly degrades what type of response or respect you'll receive.

Try coming up with something worth DISCUSSING and maybe inject a little something new every now and then... Right now you have over 1000 posts, and I don't think you've made more than 2 or 3 different posts, just worded differently every time. If you're going to be attacking instead of discussing, there's really no need to carry on our conversation with each other. It still doesn't change my stance, but you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Just to reiterate once again, I was responding to what you said. You have probably over a hundred posts of Rowand not worthy of playing, and I simply respond. Nothing to get upset about.

Randar68
03-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
If you're going to be attacking instead of discussing, there's really no need to carry on our conversation with each other. It still doesn't change my stance, but you are entitled to your opinion as am I. Just to reiterate once again, I was responding to what you said. You have probably over a hundred posts of Rowand not worthy of playing, and I simply respond. Nothing to get upset about.

Beleive me, I'm not upset at all. However, what makes this board valuable as an exchange of ideas, depends heavily on people injecting new thoughts, perspectives, ideas, etc. When someone comes in and makes 1000 posts in 2 months and only has about 2 or 3 points/ideas they keep reiterating, without anything new, it creates a stagnant feeling and make things difficult to even read, let alone discuss.

IMHO, not that it matters in the least, I think it hurts the board.

Frankly, I've had enough of the Rowand discussion, and all along have said I hope to be wrong. My primary hope is that the Sox win, but, like I said, I'm realistic about it.

I've said what Frader said about hoping to be wrong a dozen times or more on this subject, but that doesn't seem to be good enough for you to leave it alone when I comment about it with someone else...

My main point is a hope that you can perhaps think a little more before posting and give people a little credit before just responding with the same reiterations. It's tiresome to say the least.

SEALgep
03-09-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
Beleive me, I'm not upset at all. However, what makes this board valuable as an exchange of ideas, depends heavily on people injecting new thoughts, perspectives, ideas, etc. When someone comes in and makes 1000 posts in 2 months and only has about 2 or 3 points/ideas they keep reiterating, without anything new, it creates a stagnant feeling and make things difficult to even read, let alone discuss.

IMHO, not that it matters in the least, I think it hurts the board.

Frankly, I've had enough of the Rowand discussion, and all along have said I hope to be wrong. My primary hope is that the Sox win, but, like I said, I'm realistic about it.

I've said what Frader said about hoping to be wrong a dozen times or more on this subject, but that doesn't seem to be good enough for you to leave it alone when I comment about it with someone else...

My main point is a hope that you can perhaps think a little more before posting and give people a little credit before just responding with the same reiterations. It's tiresome to say the least. That's fine, I can see what you're saying. I just saw Rowand wasn't worthy of playing, not just from your post, on this thread. My point is, both parties are just reiterating, not just me. However, it's a dead issue until we can see a fair amount of play throughout the season. Truce until then, lol. :smile:

jordan23ventura
03-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Frater Perdurabo
And you don't have to be a productive player to make the All-Star team! ZING. :D:

The point is that I agree with most of the better talent evaluators here that Rowand is not the answer in CF, and that I hope for the Sox sake that we all are wrong.

So? Even worse is the fact that Schoenweis is the 4th starter with no idea whatsoever if anyone can fill the 5th spot. On top of that, 3 of our 4 guys with "closing experience" are either ML-untested, injury prone and/or coming off terrible seasons.

At this point Rowand, Harris, Uribe & co. are the least of our worries.

Randar68
03-09-2004, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by jordan23ventura
So? Even worse is the fact that Schoenweis is the 4th starter with no idea whatsoever if anyone can fill the 5th spot. On top of that, 3 of our 4 guys with "closing experience" are either ML-untested, injury prone and/or coming off terrible seasons.

At this point Rowand, Harris, Uribe & co. are the least of our worries.

Yeah, since we're weak in one area, we should stop worrying about any other weaknesses...

ozzman
03-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Boy was I mislead when I thought this thread was about a comparison between Gload and Doug Manomanoshevitz