PDA

View Full Version : Filling in the Umpire's Tunnel?

mantis1212
03-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Does anyone have the scoop on the idea of filling in the umpire's Tunnel behind the plate with more box seats? If so, was it supposed to happen this year?

The reason I ask is I just looked at the new renovation pics on the sox website as of 3/6, and one of the pictures has a shot of the tunnel, not filled in at all. I hope they fill those in pronto, it would look great on television, and more close seats the better...

Realist
03-07-2004, 05:07 PM
I haven't heard anything concrete about adding box seats behind home plate. I'm just happy this thread isn't about Kazuhito Tadano. :smile:

Rush20
03-07-2004, 06:42 PM
I read that was supposed to be part of Phase V for 2005. This year the changes will be (1) the rennovation of the upper deck (2) the rennovation (already?!) of the center field fan deck for tiered seating/standing (3) the upper deck concourse enclosure and (4) new balcony in left field corner box suite.

Initial plans for Phase V submitted to the investors group originally included (1) home run deck in right field (2) new main entrance and kids clinic in left field corner (3) filling in new seats behind home plate/umpire tunnel (4) outside balconies added to all lower suites and (5) removal of all outside entrance ramps by moving all offices off-site.

That's what I read anyway. I'm sure things will change prior to the final plans being revealed sometime this fall. Hopefully with all the new seats needed for the home run deck in right field and the seats behind home, JR will bite the bullet and swap out in favor of dark green seats throughout the ballpark. The drawings also showed dark green outfield walls/padding that match the color of the center field fan deck so those might be added this year.

Chisox_cali
03-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Realist
I haven't heard anything concrete about adding box seats behind home plate. I'm just happy this thread isn't about Kazuhito Tadano. :smile:

ZING! :gulp:

soxnut
03-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Rush20

The drawings also showed dark green outfield walls/padding that match the color of the center field fan deck so those might be added this year. [/B]

I really hope they change the padding. I know that they are looking at incorporating the retired numbers into a design on one of the outfield walls. So I guess we'll see what they come up with.

As for the tunnel, they really do need to fill that in. Hopefully all of the ideas that were mentioned fo rphase V will go through. That would make it one of the best parks in baseball--no doubt. :smile:

Rush20
03-08-2004, 11:59 AM
I agree about the umpire tunnel 100%. First it looks ugly on TV, and second and probably more importantly, by filling in w/seats, that's about $1000 in revenue per game, if not more, due to their prime location.

sas1974
03-08-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Rush20
I agree about the umpire tunnel 100%. First it looks ugly on TV, and second and probably more importantly, by filling in w/seats, that's about $1000 in revenue per game, if not more, due to their prime location.

That would almost pay for Colon's daily food allowance! They should have filled it in this off season and maybe he would have stayed! :D:

BlackSox
03-08-2004, 02:20 PM
From what I heard, the tunnel behind home plate is the size it is so an ambulence could access the field, if necessary. In fact, it currently is the only way an ambulence can access the field.

It would be nice if they changed it in Phase V,, I agree with you all.

Randar68
03-08-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by BlackSox
From what I heard, the tunnel behind home plate is the size it is so an ambulence could access the field, if necessary. In fact, it currently is the only way an ambulence can access the field.

It would be nice if they changed it in Phase V,, I agree with you all.

I thought they are able to bring equipment that large from CF??? How the heck do they get an ambulance into that area in the first place?

npdempse
03-08-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I thought they are able to bring equipment that large from CF??? How the heck do they get an ambulance into that area in the first place?

I'm sure they could. The tunnel under USCF is big enough to drive a freaking semi through; it could come out in either center or by home.

But in the future, Gallas will have the ambulance parachute in.

jackbrohamer
03-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Putting seats in there would make the place a little less empty on television. I assume they'd be popular seats.

Frater Perdurabo
03-08-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

Now THAT would be one heck of a promotion!

Frater Perdurabo
03-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
Putting seats in there would make the place a little less empty on television. I assume they'd be popular seats.

If they don't want to fill in the umpires' tunnel, or are unable to do so, they could always chroma key in a shot of some fans to fill in the gap on TV.

ewokpelts
03-08-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by mantis1212
Does anyone have the scoop on the idea of filling in the umpire's Tunnel behind the plate with more box seats? If so, was it supposed to happen this year?

The reason I ask is I just looked at the new renovation pics on the sox website as of 3/6, and one of the pictures has a shot of the tunnel, not filled in at all. I hope they fill those in pronto, it would look great on television, and more close seats the better...

Think 05....i heard a restaurant for st holders and super box seats
Gene

soxnut
03-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Think 05....i heard a restaurant for st holders and super box seats
Gene

They need to make a restaurant for non-season ticket holders, and have it open all year, somewhere at the park...........

pinwheels3530
03-08-2004, 05:30 PM
I heard there suppose to put restaurants & bars along the exterior of the ballpark along 35th street were all the offices are currently located. Does anyone else know anything about these plans?

sas1974
03-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by npdempse

Painted like Elvis!