PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie in the Southtown

delben91
03-07-2004, 11:42 AM
A good column by Arvia of the Southtown on the differences between the Sox attitude this year and last. Also good to hear Baines is involved, he's Sox through and through (and seems to be a good straight man against Coop and Ozzie's punchlines).

Article (http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/columns/arvia/x07-ard1.htm)

A. Cavatica
03-07-2004, 11:59 AM
Nice article. Ozzie can do no wrong. Hope it lasts.

ode to veeck
03-07-2004, 12:49 PM
sounds good at this early juncture, maybe if they start the season off by kicking butt on some teams they choked on last year, we can start the talk about "ozzie ball"

ewokpelts
03-07-2004, 01:07 PM
i just found it funny that security stopped them before coming back into TEP.
Gene

voodoochile
03-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Guillen didn't need the extra day. He got a pair of wins, shoehorning a squeeze play and a hit-and-run into the five innings he held the reins at Tucson Electric Park

A squeeze AND a H&R ALL in the same game? Holy smallball, Batman! I'm not a Guillen supporter until he proves he can lead the team during the regular season, but since ST began, it sound promising...

LASOXFAN
03-07-2004, 01:50 PM
that was a great read.

they never went out to dinnner last year? a coaching staff? uhh...okay, I'm willing to blame JM for that, but where was KW?

whatever, it's nice to hear some character is back in the organization. Cause if the Sox ain't colorful, then what are they good for.

voodoochile
03-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
that was a great read.

they never went out to dinnner last year? a coaching staff? uhh...okay, I'm willing to blame JM for that, but where was KW?

whatever, it's nice to hear some character is back in the organization. Cause if the Sox ain't colorful, then what are they good for.

I read things like that and I feel less and less guilty about the hotseat graphic - not that I was feeling really bad before, but we did start it at the beginning of the season. Clearly the more I read about the differences between JM and OG, it becomes more and more obvious that JM had no clue on how to lead the team emotionally. It was strictly a business to him which explains the Cotts/Buehrle fiasco and the final game in Seattle in July where he rested 4 starters and the Sox got bombed in addition to a lot of other problems.

Ozzie does recognize the emotional side of the game and that will help a lot IF he can use it properly. Then he needs to prove he can manage a pitching staff and make game time decisions that work. Of course, JM had horrible luck with his game time decisions. Ozzie can't be much worse...

Frater Perdurabo
03-08-2004, 09:02 AM
"If we win two games, then it was my debut," Guillen said. "If not, I'll blame it on the coaches and (Saturday is) my chance."

Rolling past a gas station at the outset of his road trip, Guillen pointed out general manager Ken Williams fueling up his SUV, prompting Cooper to ask if Baines had received a company gas card.

""They slipped that one by me," Baines said.

"Do we get that in Chicago?" Guillen asked. "I'd kill that thing, filling up everyone's car."

Ozzie had me cracking up reading Ariva's column.

If nothing else, Ozzie will have the Sox loose this year.

I can't wait for this season.... :smile:

PaulDrake
03-08-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic about Ozzie. I admit I wasn't thrilled when he got the job.

sas1974
03-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Great article! The more I read about the attitude out in Tucson, the more excited I get. I also can't help but think about how much worse this off season would have been if JM was still around.