PDA

View Full Version : Is Koch Back?


sas1974
03-06-2004, 03:04 PM
Koch said that his spring training pattern is to increase in velocity up until the regular-season begins.

''I remember in Oakland [in 2002] after my first appearance, [general manager] Billy Beane came up to me and was like, 'Why the hell did I trade for you? You're only throwing 92,''' Koch said. ''I said, 'All right, watch me the next time out.' I threw 94, then 96, then 98, then 100. I think the more game-speed pitching you get, that's the best way to build up arm strength.''

Sounds promising!

Deadguy
03-06-2004, 03:06 PM
I hope that's what happens. If not, he can remain in Tucson on April 5th, and continue to wait for his velocity to return, for all I care.

ChiSoxFann
03-06-2004, 05:56 PM
he pitched yesterday didnt he?they have to have radar guns at s.t. what was he throwin

SEALgep
03-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by ChiSoxFann
he pitched yesterday didnt he?they have to have radar guns at s.t. what was he throwin Between 90 and 94, but it's still early. Every ST he builds his way up. Either way though, as long as he hits his spots, he should be effective.

kittle545feet
03-06-2004, 07:22 PM
i heard all of this fluff about him regaining his velocity is crap. i hope he does throw 100 again because if he can't he is a 2 pitch pitcher with nothing over-powering. at least when you can throw 100 your two pitches can look un-hittable. personally, i think he's done, but if your going to lose velocity, at least be able to hit your spots. it seems to me you could go to the plate saying i won't consider swinging at anything koch throws off-speed because he can't spot anything other than a fast ball for a strike. most often he can't even spot a fastball. he's done. :(:

Kittle
03-06-2004, 07:23 PM
I find it interesting that he suddenly lost 8-10 mph off his fastball last year and he's supposed to gain it all back now. How does one lose that velocity in the first place without an injury?

Just doesn't make sense to me...

soxtalker
03-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
I find it interesting that he suddenly lost 8-10 mph off his fastball last year and he's supposed to gain it all back now. How does one lose that velocity in the first place without an injury?

Just doesn't make sense to me...

I'm not an MD, but it might be more of a question of what the term "injury" means. He was worked pretty heavily in his last year in Oakland. So, while the overuse might not have resulted in a major breakdown (e.g., a significant tear), maybe there was some degradation.

sas1974
03-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I'm not an MD, but it might be more of a question of what the term "injury" means. He was worked pretty heavily in his last year in Oakland. So, while the overuse might not have resulted in a major breakdown (e.g., a significant tear), maybe there was some degradation.

Or maybe his mechanics got screwed up...

duke of dorwood
03-06-2004, 08:49 PM
I hope he makes it back-he was a good guy in the clubhouse last year and I'd like him to succeed. 100 mph isn't everything. If you throw mid 90's and can back guys off the plate-it would be effective

ShoelessFred
03-06-2004, 10:16 PM
or maybe he stopped taking the "juice"

akingamongstmen
03-07-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
or maybe he stopped taking the "juice"

To all people that accuse Billy Koch of taking steroids...
Have you ever LOOKED at him??? He's one of the scrawnier guys on the White Sox. I think saying that he was juiced is ridiculous. Steroids build muscle mass, and that is not exactly desirable for a pitcher that needs to be limber. IMHO he was just overworked in Oakland, and that he'll be fine this year.