PDA

View Full Version : DarnCub Announcers

whitesox30
03-06-2004, 10:14 AM
i dont know if any of you saw or listened to the cubs giants game but the announcers were talking about the whitesox team and upcoming season...and they said that us sox have no talent whatsoever on the team and that we should be kicked out of baseball for being such a boring team....any 1 else hear of this?

WSox8404
03-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Well if this is true then I hate the Cubs even more, which is hard for me to do. At least we have real fans who actually know what the hell is going on in the games. And at least our announcers also know what the hell is going on. Too bad Chip Carey doesn't know what he is talking about. I think I hate him as much as I hate Scammy.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-06-2004, 10:23 AM
The guys on ESPN TV broadcasting the game or the guys on WGN radio?

whitesox30
03-06-2004, 10:23 AM
i agree totally

Viva Magglio
03-06-2004, 10:53 AM
That is the epitome of hypocrisy. If I were those announcers' boss, I'd fire their arses for saying that. Now suppose any Sox announcer took similar shots at the Cubs. Can you imagine the firestrom that would result??? The rest of the Cubbie-loving Chicago media would hammer us up and down the street and back again!

Grobber33
03-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
That is the epitome of hypocrisy. If I were those announcers' boss, I'd fire their arses for saying that. Now suppose any Sox announcer took similar shots at the Cubs. Can you imagine the firestrom that would result??? The rest of the Cubbie-loving Chicago media would hammer us up and down the street and back again!

Come on Viva,,,if a Sox Announcer like Hawk trashed the Cubs,the Sox front Office and especially the Chairman would LOVE IT and so would Sox Fans. All's fair in love(hate)and war. BTW, I'd also like to know which Announcer said that stuff--I have a tough time believing the Pat or Ron would say the Sox have 'No Talent'.

Rocklive99
03-06-2004, 11:49 AM
It was on the ESPN broadcast

serena
03-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
The guys on ESPN TV broadcasting the game or the guys on WGN radio?

It was ESPN announcers. Brantley (doofas) and ?

joecrede
03-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
It was on the ESPN broadcast

Was that Sutcliffe? Consider the source then. Listening to his broadcasts I'm continually astounded that a guy who played the game can know so little about it.

DrCrawdad
03-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Grobber33
Come on Viva,,,if a Sox Announcer like Hawk trashed the Cubs,the Sox front Office and especially the Chairman would LOVE IT and so would Sox Fans. All's fair in love(hate)and war. BTW, I'd also like to know which Announcer said that stuff--I have a tough time believing the Pat or Ron would say the Sox have 'No Talent'.

Actually I believe Hawk/DJ, Farmer/Rooney have been very free with praise of the Cubbies. I'm not aware of any time that they've unfairly criticized the Cubbies, are you?

On the other hand, from what I've heard of Cubbie broadcasters they've routinely blasted all things Sox. Here are a few examples...

2000 in a national broadcast Chimp was assigned to the broadcast. Chimp all thru the broadcast criticized the Sox. If you'd just say that Chimp was being honest then it was an honesty that Chimp rarely shows during Cubbie broadcasts.

Santo, this rug wearer can hardly say anything positive about the Sox. If Santo manages to squeeze out something positive there is usually also a shot at the Sox or Sox fans included.

BTW I watched an inning of the Cubbie game the other day before my 2.5 year old took over the TV. I did hear the put-down by that Dick L. Sutcliffe.

As I just mentioned in another thread, I'll love it if the Sox kick (butt) this season and prove these Richardheads wrong.

Konerko05
03-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Was that Sutcliffe? Consider the source then. Listening to his broadcasts I'm continually astounded that a guy who played the game can know so little about it.

Yeah, it was definitely Sutcliffe. Brantley(I believe) and Sutcliffe were talking about the AL Central. For the first 2 minutes of their discussion the White Sox were not mentioned once. They were going on about Kansas City and Minnesota. Brantley then said something about the White Sox being a factor and Sutcliffe went on about how you need talent in order to win and the White Sox have none.

I really can't stand when people who know nothing about baseball are in these types of positions. When the average baseball fan hears stuff like this from a sports analyst/former player, they usually take it for the truth.

ChiSox14305635
03-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
Yeah, it was definitely Sutcliffe. Brantley(I believe) and Sutcliffe were talking about the AL Central. For the first 2 minutes of their discussion the White Sox were not mentioned once. They were going on about Kansas City and Minnesota. Brantley then said something about the White Sox being a factor and Sutcliffe went on about how you need talent in order to win and the White Sox have none.

I really can't stand when people who know nothing about baseball are in these types of positions. When the average baseball fan hears stuff like this from a sports analyst/former player, they usually take it for the truth.

Brantley wasn't there. He did the Mets/Dodgers game with Gary Thorne (Former WSox broadcaster) for ESPN on Wednesday. Sutcliffe did the game with Dan Shulman. Anyway, Brantley, along with Rob Dibble was one of the few commentators who actually praised the White Sox last year. It was tools like Gammons & Kurjkian that always ripped them.

soxnut
03-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I can't stand irresponsible media types. For those who don't follow the White Sox, it can really give people a bad impression of our team.

And anyway I can't stand Dan Shulman. I hate it when he does a game on espn-y. The way he pronounces words is so annoying-----he puts "d's" ind aldmostd everyd worddddddddd.AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :angry: :angry: :angry:

Rocklive99
03-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Konerko is right, it was Sutcliffe, he said "They're bringing in Ozzie as manager, which should bring energy, but they just don't have any talent. I don't care how much energy you have, you won't win without talent"

HomeFish
03-06-2004, 06:53 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, they're absolutely correct.

sas1974
03-06-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by HomeFish

You've got to be kidding me!

southsidegirl
03-06-2004, 10:02 PM
"Nobody sees us coming- we're underdogs! We're gonna bite 'em in their ass."-Frank Thomas

Remember this quote guys......

soxnut
03-06-2004, 11:50 PM

you're crazy

SoxFan76
03-07-2004, 10:55 AM

Thomas, Ordonez, Lee, possibly Konerko, Buerhle, Loaiza, Marte, Crede, the Sox have plenty of talent. In fact, they have more talent than any other team in our division. It's just a matter of them performing up to their potential.

Hangar18
03-07-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by southsidegirl
"Nobody sees us coming- we're underdogs! We're gonna bite 'em in their ass."-Frank Thomas

Remember this quote guys......

I agree, this is a quote that we will be remembering
later in the season .......

ChiSoxBobette
03-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33

It was said but by Rick Sutcliff(I think thats how you spell his name) that one year wonder who played for the scubs back when. I think he also played for the hated Indians also so that would explain his stupid remark.

Iwritecode
03-08-2004, 11:56 AM

Well, Sutcliffe was at least half-right. Teams can't win without talent.

The part about the Sox not having any is just ignorant.

They may have a few holes here and there and surely nobody is going to confuse them with the Yankees, but they aren't exactly the 2003 Detroit Tigers either...