PDA

View Full Version : The Battle Lines are Drawn

Realist
03-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Although the vast majority of the members of WSI are died in the wool Cub (and all they represent) haters, there are only a few of us that actually live/work within a half mile radius of the Urinal. This truly is the heart of enemy territory to many of us, and it's not an extremely comfortable existance. I'm confident that those living each and every day in this environment know exactly what I'm talking about.

Something is different this season. The stench of animosity hangs stronger in the air than I've ever noticed before. This whole "Steve Bartman" drama may be a big "haha" laugh to many of us, but it really cuts to the soul of the average Flubs fan and don't think for a second that they don't know how we find the whole incident comforting and so absolutely sublime in its capsulization of all that is "Cubdom". They fully realise that their pain was and is our happiness and relief.

Now they hate us damn near as much as we hate them, although the reasons why we hate each other are like night and day. While our stomach's may still churn at the sight of mindless yuppies swilling beer and cheering each pop up because they heard the crack of the bat while their back was to the field, they hate us because we love seeing those same slack-jaws frown after each Flubbie loss, no matter how much it means to their happiness.

I've experienced their new level of hatred toward us first hand on a daily basis. Last nite after the "ugly lights" came up in the bar I manage 4 blocks from the Urinal, I tested the depth of this new level of hatred. I began yelling, "FREE STEVE BARTMAN BOBBLE HEADS OUTSIDE!!" to get the patrons out of the bar while wearing my White Sox t-shirt. If looks could kill I'd be typing this post at the end of a line waiting to see St. Peter.

Let's go Sox!! This could get ugly.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-06-2004, 09:36 AM
There was some loser Cubs fan on Wheel of Fortune last night. He was from Joliet and volunteered that he was a fan of the "Cubs, Bears, Bulls, and sometimes the Blackhawks, too." So Pat Sajak (also from Joliet) replies, "What about the Sox?" and this dope says no.

To his credit Sajak didn't just let the matter drop. He replies, "Gee, I don't understand that. When I lived there everyone rooted for both teams and it didn't make any difference." And the dope replies, "Sox fans brought that on themselves."

Okay... now Sajak let's it drop. I'm guessing making the guy look like an ass was good enough. :smile:

For the record, the Cubs fan dope from Joliet finished dead last, proving once again what idiots they truly are. They can't even win a game of hangman.

:bandance:

34 Inch Stick
03-06-2004, 09:58 AM
As one of those living close to the heat I can't say that I have seen any hatred directed against me or my hats and shirts. I can say that cub love is at an all time high. Cub apparrel has become a status symbol in the area.

I represent while jogging down Ravenswood from Peterson to Addison but nothing is going to bring down the high of an OD on Kubbie Kool Aid.

Brian26
03-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
To his credit Sajak didn't just let the matter drop. He replies, "Gee, I don't understand that. When I lived there everyone rooted for both teams and it didn't make any difference." And the dope replies, "Sox fans brought that on themselves."

Kudos to Sajak.

RKMeibalane
03-06-2004, 10:06 AM
I agree that "Cub love" is at an all-time high. With their success last season, the Cubs are the team that everyone thinks will win the National League. What these morons don't realize is that the Cubs haven't had back-to-back winning seasons in decades. I am convinced that something will happen this season that will prevent them from finishing with a winning record.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-06-2004, 10:15 AM
Sajak is a Cubs fan. I read an article about him on MLB.com last month. He grew up going to a lot of White Sox games and his favorite moment was when the city turned on the sirens when the White Sox won the pennant in 1959. How could you be a Cubs fan after that?

WSox8404
03-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Who turned on those sirens? Who did it and who authorized it?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-06-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Who turned on those sirens? Who did it and who authorized it?
the first Mayor Daley, he was a huge white sox fan

guillen4life13
03-06-2004, 10:52 AM
I've always gotten heat for being a Sox fan but I always dish out heat to Cubs fans also, but it always helps that I'm usually one of the smartest kids in my class.

Someone gets an answer wrong (and almost everyone here is a Scrubs fan), I tell them that they can't be blamed--Cubs fandom tends to lower people's IQ's.

If I walk by someone in the hall wearing Cubs apparel, I quietly whisper "Cubs suck" as I pass by.

Whenever someone says they're going to a Cubs game, I say, "Oh you're going to see Corky entertain you?"

And the thing that's so awesome about it is that the only real things they can say about the Sox are, "Your stadium sucks," or "Your neighborhood is filled with gang-bangers." Or they say something about those attacks on the ump and Gamboa. I always remind them that the second guy was wearing Cubs clothing and had gotten drunk at a Cubs game earlier in the day.

I always point out that we actually have urinals in our stadium--not troughs, and the crime rate around Comiskey is much lower than the crime rate around Wrigley.

So pretty much I give and take, but what I give can usually be backed up with fact, not just opinion.

The battle lines are drawn though--I see many more people wearing Cubs apparel and talking about the Cubs this year. Poor souls.

Grobber33
03-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337

It was actually Fire Commish Robert Quinn who turned the sirens on WITH Mayor Daley's approval in 1959 and several people were scared half to death thinking the Soviets were attacking us!

BTW, there seems to be a convienent double standard here. Just about everyone on this site was 'praying' that the Cubs would lose first to the Astros in the NL Central race last year--that did'nt happen, then the Braves in the NLDS--that did'nt happen either,then to the Marlins in the NLCS as Josh Beckett and Bartman became folk heros. NO PROBLEM! That's what it's all about. Sox Fans can trash the Cubs and Cub Fans. BUT....when a Cub Fan returns fire it's not OK??? I guess some of you can dish it out,but cant take it!! As for guys in Bars near Wrigley giving dirty looks to Sox Fans, gee,,,think a Cub Fan would'nt get the same treatment at Jimbos??? Give me a break!!!!

Also, Jimmy Rittenberg bought the Bartman ball-he said to keep it away from Marlins Fans,but trust me he also wanted to keep it away from Sox Fans as well! He would'nt admit that since many Sox Fans are paying customers of Jimmy's establishments and he's no dummy.

guillen4life13
03-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Grobber33
It was actually Fire Commish Robert Quinn who turned the sirens on WITH Mayor Daley's approval in 1959 and several people were scared half to death thinking the Soviets were attacking us!

BTW, there seems to be a convienent double standard here. Just about everyone on this site was 'praying' that the Cubs would lose first to the Astros in the NL Central race last year--that did'nt happen, then the Braves in the NLDS--that did'nt happen either,then to the Marlins in the NLCS as Josh Beckett and Bartman became folk heros. NO PROBLEM! That's what it's all about. Sox Fans can trash the Cubs and Cub Fans. BUT....when a Cub Fan returns fire it's not OK??? I guess some of you can dish it out,but cant take it!! As for guys in Bars near Wrigley giving dirty looks to Sox Fans, gee,,,think a Cub Fan would'nt get the same treatment at Jimbos??? Give me a break!!!!

Also, Jimmy Rittenberg bought the Bartman ball-he said to keep it away from Marlins Fans,but trust me he also wanted to keep it away from Sox Fans as well! He would'nt admit that since many Sox Fans are paying customers of Jimmy's establishments and he's no dummy.

I think it's okay for them to dish and them to take. Same with us. The thing is that most of us actually know what we're talking about when it comes to these issues, where as all Cubs fans can muster is, "Your stadium sucks." Most of them have never been there, so they really have no point of reference (I think Comiskey is an awesome stadium--clean, has real urinal stalls, good food, great views of the game, even in the UD).

That UD isn't half as bad as everyone says it is.

Grobber33
03-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
I think it's okay for them to dish and them to take. Same with us. The thing is that most of us actually know what we're talking about when it comes to these issues, where as all Cubs fans can muster is, "Your stadium sucks." Most of them have never been there, so they really have no point of reference (I think Comiskey is an awesome stadium--clean, has real urinal stalls, good food, great views of the game, even in the UD).

That UD isn't half as bad as everyone says it is.

That's awsome that you like it. I like it too,but not enough people do. The Upper Deck would'nt be as bad as it is had the Sox not been greedy with 'double deck Suites' when they built the place.Let's face it,the reaL Fans no longer count---the money loaded Suite Holders,corporate types etc in ALL Sports venus are ALL the Owners care about.That includes the Sox who were the first team in Chicago to install suites(in Old Comiskey in 1982).

BTW I have to keep laughing at the continuing Sterotype some of you-no most of you-have about Cub Fans. There are just as many great baseball Fans at Wrigley(per capita)as there are at Comiskey. There may be more non-fans since the Cubs draw more. I for one wish those dopes would go elsewhere.
I do know that you can find plenty of Cellphones and ditzy non baseball fan teen aged girls(and the like)at the South Side ballpark but nobody here will admit it since it would reduce the amunition you all have to use against (real legit)Cub Fans.
I dont give a crap who outdraws the other----none of us make the money!
I care about wins,and I have plenty of Company on both sides of town.

SoxFan76
03-06-2004, 11:34 AM
We can dish it out, and support it with facts. Cub fans dish it out with no facts whatsoever. There is really nothing to say to them in that case. Sometimes their criticism is so far-fetched, it leaves a Sox fan speechless. That is one of many reasons why I hate Cub fans.

ewokpelts
03-06-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
There was some loser Cubs fan on Wheel of Fortune last night. He was from Joliet and volunteered that he was a fan of the "Cubs, Bears, Bulls, and sometimes the Blackhawks, too." So Pat Sajak (also from Joliet) replies, "What about the Sox?" and this dope says no.

Okay... now Sajak let's it drop. I'm guessing making the guy look like an ass was good enough. :smile:

For the record, the Cubs fan dope from Joliet finished dead last, proving once again what idiots they truly are. They can't even win a game of hangman.

:bandance:

I was told that Sajak was from the Southwest Side.
Gene

ewokpelts
03-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Although the vast majority of the members of WSI are died in the wool Cub (and all they represent) haters, there are only a few of us that actually live/work within a half mile radius of the Urinal. This truly is the heart of enemy territory to many of us, and it's not an extremely comfortable existance. I'm confident that those living each and every day in this environment know exactly what I'm talking about.

Something is different this season. The stench of animosity hangs stronger in the air than I've ever noticed before. This whole "Steve Bartman" drama may be a big "haha" laugh to many of us, but it really cuts to the soul of the average Flubs fan and don't think for a second that they don't know how we find the whole incident comforting and so absolutely sublime in its capsulization of all that is "Cubdom". They fully realise that their pain was and is our happiness and relief.

Now they hate us damn near as much as we hate them, although the reasons why we hate each other are like night and day. While our stomach's may still churn at the sight of mindless yuppies swilling beer and cheering each pop up because they heard the crack of the bat while their back was to the field, they hate us because we love seeing those same slack-jaws frown after each Flubbie loss, no matter how much it means to their happiness.

I've experienced their new level of hatred toward us first hand on a daily basis. Last nite after the "ugly lights" came up in the bar I manage 4 blocks from the Urinal, I tested the depth of this new level of hatred. I began yelling, "FREE STEVE BARTMAN BOBBLE HEADS OUTSIDE!!" to get the patrons out of the bar while wearing my White Sox t-shirt. If looks could kill I'd be typing this post at the end of a line waiting to see St. Peter.

Let's go Sox!! This could get ugly.

When I took my girlfriend to the Metro for the first time last week, she almost beat me up when she realized it was that close to the urinal. She refused to walk alongside it, and got pissed when i tried buying sox/cubs tix at thier atm/ticket machines. I dont think we're going to the metro for a while.
Gene

ewokpelts
03-06-2004, 12:15 PM
Sajak is a Cubs fan. I read an article about him on MLB.com last month. He grew up going to a lot of White Sox games and his favorite moment was when the city turned on the sirens when the White Sox won the pennant in 1959. How could you be a Cubs fan after that?

Pat lives in LA. You catch more Cub games at 11am la time (when filming of your show/movie is either wrapped or about to begin).
Gene

ewokpelts
03-06-2004, 12:16 PM

He loved the Sox more than he loved the city.
Gene

The Critic
03-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
When I took my girlfriend to the Metro for the first time last week, she almost beat me up when she realized it was that close to the urinal. She refused to walk alongside it, and got pissed when i tried buying sox/cubs tix at thier atm/ticket machines. I dont think we're going to the metro for a while.
Gene

That's too bad - the Metro is my favorite place to see a concert. Metro's owners can't help the location, although I have a feeling theyr'e okay with where it is. Like it or not, that area is a pretty fun place to spend a Friday or Saturday night. Lots of good restaurants and bars around there.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-06-2004, 01:39 PM
The reason why Sajak is a cubs fan is because he thought other than in 1959 the White Sox weren't a good team. It was just fun to go to the stadium because it was like a fair and the cubs were on tv when he came home from school.

wolcott10
03-06-2004, 01:57 PM
I thought I saw Sajak at a Sox game last season.

ewokpelts
03-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by wolcott10
I thought I saw Sajak at a Sox game last season.

I saws D.B.Sweeny at a game last year.
Gene

Realist
03-06-2004, 05:43 PM
Gene

You BETTER treat that woman good. Sounds like you gotta keeper. :smile:

santo=dorf
03-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Pat Sajak is from Joliet? I don't know about this "people root for both teams" argument. When I'm in Joliet, it's either one team or the other. A lot of my friends are Cub fans who hate the Sox as much as I hate the Cubs. I wish I would've seen this episode so I'd be able to recognize the jag who thinks Sox fans brought it upon themselves.

Realist
03-06-2004, 06:20 PM

It's not that it's not OK when a Cubs fan returns fire. It's just that it's usually very pathetic when they do. While the Sox certainly aren't sporting any championship rings to crow about, the Cubs (with a few exceptions over the years) generally suck year in and year out. They're perennially one of the biggest doormats in the National League but their fans never seem to stop believing that they're "only one or two players away from winning it all". This is what we find so mind-numbingly stupid.

Hell, if the Sox finish 81-81 a Sox fan will be the first to say, "We suck". Cubs fans will claim their 62-100 team doesn't suck and get very defensive about every player on the team. This bizarre disease is unique only to Cubs fans in all of the sporting world. It's sick and I'm embarrassed that the Cubs have the word "Chicago" in front of their name.

A buddy of mine took his wife to a Cubs game a couple of years ago and he was explaining the Cub fan mentality to her on the way to the game. He told her that over half the people there won't even be watching the game and many won't even know who the Cubs are playing. Sure enough in the 4th inning of the game one of the 3 little yuppie girls swilling their beers in the row in front of them turned around and asked, "Who are the Cubbies playing today, anyway?" His wife's jaw dropped and she almost fell out of her seat.

I catch at least one Sox/Cubs game a year at Wrigley Field and inevitably I'll get some Cubs fan trying to talk to me during the game instead of watching the game and there will be at least one conversation going on around me concerning the latest purchases from the Gap while no attention is directed towards the field. I have had season tickets to the Sox for the last 4 years and went to plenty of games per year prior to that. While I'm sure the Sox have a tiny percentage of meatheads that emulate the great multitude of brain dead Cubs fans, I've yet to see it ever approach the nauseating degree of ignorance that is part and parcell of Cubdom.

I have friends that are very intelligent Cubs fans and truly understand the game of baseball and know when their teams suck and I've also met very intelligent Cubs fans that I truly respect and I love to talk baseball with them. It's just that for all the Cubs fans out there, there just ain't many of 'em.

PaulDrake
03-06-2004, 08:20 PM
I was told that Sajak was from the Southwest Side. Pat Sajak grew up in the South Lawndale (Little Village) neighborhood and attended Farragut High School.

red faber
03-06-2004, 09:23 PM
Gene

you've got a good woman,hold on to her!!!!

Jerko
03-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by red faber
you've got a good woman,hold on to her!!!!

Or at least let US know if you break up? Wouldn't you want her to stay with a Sox fan?

Dan H
03-07-2004, 09:07 AM
One thing I can say about Sox fans: We wouldn't put up with our own team scalping tickets. It's one thing to buy a ticket in the street when the situation calls for it, but for a team to hold back and tickets blatently take advantage of their fans is another. It just shows how Cub fans live in a la-la land that we Sox fans won't even acknowledge exists.

The unfortunate thing about things as they shape up in 2004 is that the Cubs have the better team. We can only hope that some unproven or inconsistent players come through this year. But many Sox fans at least are aware that there are question marks. Listen to any Cub fan give predictions about their team at the beginning of any year and they talk about win totals between 90 and 100 and even past 100. I am not a Cubs historian but I can only think of four occasions the Cubs broke the 90 win barrier in the last 60 years, and one time they needed a 163rd game to do it.

Cub fans can say what they want. I just wish they would join the human race before they say it.

maurice
03-08-2004, 12:48 PM
I have to keep laughing at the continuing Sterotype some of you-no most of you-have about Cub Fans. There are just as many great baseball Fans at Wrigley(per capita) as there are at Comiskey. There may be more non-fans since the Cubs draw more. I for one wish those dopes would go elsewhere.

Just because it's a "stereotype" doesn't mean that it's not true. :D:

I do, however, agree with your "non-fan" argument . . . particularly since it requires you to concede that a much higher percentage of folks rooting for the cubs are idiots.

I do know that you can find plenty of Cellphones and ditzy non baseball fan teen aged girls(and the like)at the South Side ballpark but nobody here will admit it since it would reduce the amunition you all have to use against (real legit)Cub Fans.

I'll admit it. The cel phone thing drives me nuttier than I already am . . . but no traditional male or non-traditional female Sox fan will complain about an abundance of 18- to 20-year-old ladies at Sox games.

:gulp:

Tekijawa
03-08-2004, 01:19 PM

I don't know, he was at Comiskey last year towards the end of the season... Right when the Cubs were in the thick of the race. I know that he's a b-list Celebrity but I think he would still have the means to go to their game if he was truly a fan of the loveable losers!

Hangar18
03-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa
I don't know, he was at Comiskey last year towards the end of the season... Right when the Cubs were in the thick of the race. I know that he's a b-list Celebrity but I think he would still have the means to go to their game if he was truly a fan of the loveable losers!

Yes, I remember him being at the game also....
thats funny, because ive heard him say he was a cub fan,
yet, i think this is the 4th or 5th time he was seen at comiskey.
He may just like BOTH teams, is what it looks like. Oh well,
I wont rip him for that. right now anyway lol

mike squires
03-08-2004, 03:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grobber33
[B]That's awsome that you like it. I like it too,but not enough people do. The Upper Deck would'nt be as bad as it is had the Sox not been greedy with 'double deck Suites' when they built the place.Let's face it,the reaL Fans no longer count---the money loaded Suite Holders,corporate types etc in ALL Sports venus are ALL the Owners care about.That includes the Sox who were the first team in Chicago to install suites(in Old Comiskey in 1982).

What is more upsetting is most of those nights all that are up their are crickets. It's as dark as a dungeon in those suites. :angry: