PDA

View Full Version : Bob Costas takes a shot at Cubs Fans!

Uncle_Patrick
03-05-2004, 11:12 PM
I was just watching that Bill Maher show on HBO and he was talking to Costas about the steriod issue and his (Maher's) belief that baseball fans really don't care about players juicing as long as they can see the home runs being hit. Costas expanded on that idea by pointing out that Cubs fans didn't criticize Sammy when he was caught corking his bat but released all their rage on a fan reaching for a foul ball. I don't necessarily agree with Maher or Costas stance on fans' apathy towards cheating in baseball (although I believe that fans have reacted with less outrage than I would hope for) but its nice to see someone (besides Sox or Cardinals fans) pointing out the non-sensical behavior Cub fans.

billnahorodny
03-05-2004, 11:31 PM
I just saw it as well...while Costas has a tendency to be a bit long-winded at times...that comment definitely got a big cheer from me. I'm wondering now whether any of the local flub-loving media will react to Costas' totally unfair and and unprovoked attack against baseball's great savior

hellenicsoxfan
03-06-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm wondering now whether any of the local flub-loving media will react to Costas' totally unfair and and unprovoked attack against baseball's great savior [/B][/QUOTE]

Now Costas is in trouble. Harry Caray's restaurant will probably buy out his contract and let flub fans decide how to torture him. All the local media will cover it live with team coverage. Poor Uncle Bobby.

SoxFan76
03-06-2004, 12:33 AM
The topic of "anything can happen" was brought up in class for some reason. My teacher then claimed the Cubs will win the World Series since Harey Caray died. That was awhile ago, but whatever. I had to explain that Caray was with the White Sox first. Not a big deal, but in this same class I heard a joke.

A woman is found dead on the sidewalk naked. A Cub fan, a Cards fan, and a Sox fan walk up to this woman. As a sign of respect, the Cub fan puts his cap over her left breast. The Cards fan, also out of respect, puts his cap over her right breast. The Sox fan, out of respect, puts his cap on her "other" spot. So when the authorites come to check out the scene, they pick up the Cubs hat to check it out, and it's fine. Same for the Cards hat. This cop picks up the Sox hat, but he seems puzzled. The Sox fan is outraged that this cop would suspect he would do something wrong to this woman lying dead on the sidewalk. He asks the cop if there is a problem. He says "No, there's no problem. But usually you find an <butthole> under a Sox cap.

Kind of ironic having a Cub fan call a Sox fan an a-hole, but whatever. I'm sure if the joke was directed towards the Cubs, it would be hysterical.

SaltyPretzel
03-06-2004, 05:42 AM
Costas probably had a lovers' quarrel with Geroge Will.

TornLabrum
03-06-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
The topic of "anything can happen" was brought up in class for some reason. My teacher then claimed the Cubs will win the World Series since Harey Caray died. That was awhile ago, but whatever. I had to explain that Caray was with the White Sox first. Not a big deal, but in this same class I heard a joke.

A woman is found dead on the sidewalk naked. A Cub fan, a Cards fan, and a Sox fan walk up to this woman. As a sign of respect, the Cub fan puts his cap over her left breast. The Cards fan, also out of respect, puts his cap over her right breast. The Sox fan, out of respect, puts his cap on her "other" spot. So when the authorites come to check out the scene, they pick up the Cubs hat to check it out, and it's fine. Same for the Cards hat. This cop picks up the Sox hat, but he seems puzzled. The Sox fan is outraged that this cop would suspect he would do something wrong to this woman lying dead on the sidewalk. He asks the cop if there is a problem. He says "No, there's no problem. But usually you find an <butthole> under a Sox cap.

Kind of ironic having a Cub fan call a Sox fan an a-hole, but whatever. I'm sure if the joke was directed towards the Cubs, it would be hysterical.

The first time I heard the joke there were two Sox fans and one Cubs fan.

Railsplitter
03-06-2004, 07:28 AM
I always figured Costas had more brains than the typical sportscaster. Now here's proof.

SSN721
03-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Just nice to hear someone completely taken in by the bias. It was horrible the incident was glossed over after about a week, but it seems liek everytime Frank talks the media coverage can go on for months just waiting for something to blow up. I also think it is sad how there really does seem to be a general apathy towards the steroid use in the game. I dont know if its more, "we want to see home runs" or more, "there isnt really anything we can do so who cares?" I just think if it is continued to be used and in the future used more openly its just a horrible influence on young fans and players.

Dick Allen
03-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Uncle_Patrick
I was just watching that Bill Maher show on HBO and he was talking to Costas about the steriod issue and his (Maher's) belief that baseball fans really don't care about players juicing as long as they can see the home runs being hit. Costas expanded on that idea by pointing out that Cubs fans didn't criticize Sammy when he was caught corking his bat but released all their rage on a fan reaching for a foul ball. I don't necessarily agree with Maher or Costas stance on fans' apathy towards cheating in baseball (although I believe that fans have reacted with less outrage than I would hope for) but its nice to see someone (besides Sox or Cardinals fans) pointing out the non-sensical behavior Cub fans. Actually, isn't Costas a St. Louis native and Cardinals fan? Still, it's nice to see someone in the national media call out the pathetic Cub fans for what they really are.

RKMeibalane
03-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Actually, isn't Costas a St. Louis native and Cardinals fan? Still, it's nice to see someone in the national media call out the pathetic Cub fans for what they really are.

He is a Cardinals fan. But it is nice to see that the media is starting to realize that players such as Sosa and Bonds are comprimising the integrity of the game by cheating.

TaylorStSox
03-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Costas is probably the biggest Cardinals fan alive. Of course he's going to rip the Cubs.

voodoochile
03-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The first time I heard the joke there were two Sox fans and one Cubs fan.

Exactly, jokes like that go anyway you want them to. I am surprised SoxFan76 didn't turn the joke around when posting it. Not hard to do, just switch the words Sox and Flubs and presto the joke is all better...

Shame on you SF76. Light some candles or something to do pennance...

SoxFan76
03-07-2004, 06:51 PM
I could of turned that "joke" around, except I posted what this guy told me. I thought that was a bit extreme for a joke referring to sports. Just showing the crazy things Cub fans can say.

Lip Man 1
03-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Bob Costas was born and raised in New York City, went to Syracuse University and starting working as a 22 year old at KMOX Radio St. Louis doing play by play for the Spirits of St. Louis in the old ABA in the mid 70's.

He tells the story of how he electronically altered the demo tape he sent in to help him get the job.

Lip