PDA

View Full Version : The Sports Road Trip...

hsnterprize
03-05-2004, 09:48 AM
I don't know if I told you about this before, but this is a pretty neat story. A couple of guys from Buffalo, New York have gone on a trip over the past few years that took them to every major-league level venue in North America. They have seen a home game for every NFL, NBA, NHL, and Major League Baseball team, and they've documented their trip on this website. (www.thesportsroadtrip.com)

They rank all the venues based on atmosphere, fan friendliness, customer services, amenities, food, location, accessibility, and other areas. They've ranked U.S. Cellular Field 3 out of 5 stars, and that's been the same before last year's renovations. I wrote them after they put their new rankings last year and told them about what was coming up this year. They say they'll wait until the 2005 season to rate the place again so that ALL the renovations will be finished. Some of the venues they've given their best "5 Stars" rating to include Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, PNC Park in Pittsburgh, M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, and unfortunately, Wrigley Field. Other Chicago venues were rated like this...the United Center and Soldier Field (post-renovations) were given 4 stars, and as said earlier, the "Cell" got 3 stars. Some of the worst places include Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, San Francisco Stadium at Candlestick Point, and believe it or not...Fenway Park in Boston. All of them got 1 out of 5 stars. They're also ranking minor league and college venues as well, so write them if there's a place you want them to see. They've been to Ryan Field for a Northwestern football game, other college football stadiums, and minor league baseball and hockey stadiums.

If we Sox fans write them and tell them how excited we are about the Cell, I think it'll get their juices flowing to rate our place higher than it is.

ewokpelts
03-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
I don't know if I told you about this before, but this is a pretty neat story. A couple of guys from Buffalo, New York have gone on a trip over the past few years that took them to every major-league level venue in North America. They have seen a home game for every NFL, NBA, NHL, and Major League Baseball team, and they've documented their trip on this website. (www.thesportsroadtrip.com)

They rank all the venues based on atmosphere, fan friendliness, customer services, amenities, food, location, accessibility, and other areas. They've ranked U.S. Cellular Field 3 out of 5 stars, and that's been the same before last year's renovations. I wrote them after they put their new rankings last year and told them about what was coming up this year. They say they'll wait until the 2005 season to rate the place again so that ALL the renovations will be finished. Some of the venues they've given their best "5 Stars" rating to include Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, PNC Park in Pittsburgh, M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, and unfortunately, Wrigley Field. Other Chicago venues were rated like this...the United Center and Soldier Field (post-renovations) were given 4 stars, and as said earlier, the "Cell" got 3 stars. Some of the worst places include Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, San Francisco Stadium at Candlestick Point, and believe it or not...Fenway Park in Boston. All of them got 1 out of 5 stars. They're also ranking minor league and college venues as well, so write them if there's a place you want them to see. They've been to Ryan Field for a Northwestern football game, other college football stadiums, and minor league baseball and hockey stadiums.

If we Sox fans write them and tell them how excited we are about the Cell, I think it'll get their juices flowing to rate our place higher than it is.

This was a thread earlier. An interesting quest. I'm planning on hitting all of MLB next summer, with my trip ending at the All Star Game.
Gene

Brian26
03-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Great story. Unfortunately, 99.9% of us with jobs and wives would never be able to do that :smile:

SSN721
03-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Great story. Unfortunately, 99.9% of us with jobs and wives would never be able to do that :smile:

Yeah full time jobs can really be a damper on the baseball season. :smile:

ewokpelts
03-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Yeah full time jobs can really be a damper on the baseball season. :smile:

If you plan to be on the road for almost the whole time, it can be done. I think MLB had a pair of guys hit all 30 parks. I think they did it in 6 weeks or less. My plan would be similar, but I'd schedule my sox and cubs games separately so i can head back home for a day or so. Since my home base is Chicago, I wont get lazy and set my midwest games all in one block. Space them out so i can get to either coast with enuff time to hit detroit by the ASG week.
Gene

WSox8404
03-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Well I have been to 6 parks in my life. I am only 19 so I think this is decent. By the time I die I will go to all the parks in baseball. This would be one of the best things ever. Just to say that I actually did this would be a pretty cool thing. But all professional venues? That is nuts. These guys must have some money sitting around. Either that or they are poor now.

ewokpelts
03-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Well I have been to 6 parks in my life. I am only 19 so I think this is decent. By the time I die I will go to all the parks in baseball. This would be one of the best things ever. Just to say that I actually did this would be a pretty cool thing. But all professional venues? That is nuts. These guys must have some money sitting around. Either that or they are poor now.

or they have sponsors
Gene

nasox
03-05-2004, 06:42 PM
I'm actually pretty well acquainted with them. I e-mailed them with tips about the park, and Chicago as well a few times. They visited for the second time time last summer and were pleasantly surprised. I don't think they would come back this year, as they were just here, but maybe next year after all of the renovations are done.
One problem with their site, I get the feeling they like a modern park. They sometimes rate parks with crazy fan amenities, but crappy game viewing high. This is an opinion of theirs, and it differs from mine, so its no problem. It's a cool site.

Sorry for being redundant, didn't read all of hsnterprize's post. My bad

hsnterprize
03-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey y'all,

Andrew...one of the guys on this sports trek, wrote me, and told me this...

Harlin...

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to update us
on all the excitement happening on the South Side.

From what we understand, you are now in phase 4 of
what will be a 5 phase renovation, with things
wrapping up in time for next season. When we were by
last season, we didnt see an actual game, just dropped
by the team store and snapped a few photos.

As things stand now, we plan to come visit for a game
or 2 in 2005 and experience the whole Comiskey thing
all over again. Also on that trip is a planned return
visit to Busch Stadium in St. Louis, which will be
opening its doors for it final season.

We will keep you apprised of our schedule... In the
meantime, we will be seeing your beloved Sox in action
this Sunday down in Tucson... when we're there we'll
raise a glass of brew and toast YOU, OK?

ANDREW

Pretty cool...huh? Like I said, keep writing these guys and tell them how much we love our ballpark and our team. Maybe that might raise their rating of the "Cell" once they come back next year.

hsnterprize
03-06-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
or they have sponsors
Gene Not really. According to their stories both on line and on TV, they do a LOT of bargain shopping for air fares, tickets, and hotel accomodations. They'll occasionally get some perks as word gets around of their trip. They've gotten everything from chances to tip-off basketball games, interview announcers and sports personalities, and get pretty good treatment from teams. Part of their ranks depends on how the personnel of a team, from the front office, PR department, and even the seviruty guards treat them. They're not looking to be treated like royalty in every city, but if they get some nice treatment from the locals, they'll consider than in their rankings. If they get treated like crap, the stadium/arena they're in suffers for it.

TornLabrum
03-06-2004, 06:45 PM
Not really. According to their stories both on line and on TV, they do a LOT of bargain shopping for air fares, tickets, and hotel accomodations. They'll occasionally get some perks as word gets around of their trip. They've gotten everything from chances to tip-off basketball games, interview announcers and sports personalities, and get pretty good treatment from teams. Part of their ranks depends on how the personnel of a team, from the front office, PR department, and even the seviruty guards treat them. They're not looking to be treated like royalty in every city, but if they get some nice treatment from the locals, they'll consider than in their rankings. If they get treated like crap, the stadium/arena they're in suffers for it.

If that's the case, the Sox are doomed. Imagine our management being friendly to "outsiders"....

doctor30th
03-06-2004, 08:46 PM
When we were by last season, we didnt see an actual game, just dropped by the team store and snapped a few photos.

No offense I'm impressed by the guys journey, but how can you actually rate the experiece of the stadium when you don't see a game. Isn't that a major part of it.

I also think they got a little lazy with there ratings. Having only 4.5 stars as a mid-point. no 3.5 or any other half levels.

whitesoxwilkes
03-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
Well I have been to 6 parks in my life. I am only 19 so I think this is decent.

You're off to a good start...when I was 19, I'd only been to the Skydome, Yankee Stadium, Memorial Stadium (Baltimore) and the Urinal. Over the past 9 years, I've managed to hit 18 more parks. Then again, a good chunk of my discretionary income goes toward baseball.

batmanZoSo
03-06-2004, 09:11 PM

At any rate, I think theirs was a fair assessment. I'd give it 3/5 too based on previous years. The look and feel of "old" New Comiskey was the only draw back. I guarantee you the next time you see an SI or any other ballpark ranking, we'll be a lot higher up just because of the upper deck. Then if we get that HR deck it'll add some character and the Cell will be as good as any park there is. It's always been great for fan accomidations, now it even looks nice. Whatdya know....

hsnterprize
03-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Andrew wrote me again, and here's what he said...

Harlin thanks for promoting our project and website on
the Sox message board.. we enjoyed reading the
feedback.

Couple points ... we upgraded our Fenway Park rating
to 3 stars last year. We dont tinker much with those
numbers, but on our return visit, we were very
impressed with the improvements and facelift to the
building. If you remember back in 2000 they were weeks
away from groundbreaking on a new fenway, and theold
place was really let go.

Yeah we are somewhat partial to the newer venues, but
lately we have gotten sick of the amenities that are
just designed to gouge fans and raise money to pay for
the sick salaries.

Thanks again

Andrew

Just wanted to keep you updated. He expresses a lot of the same "modern ballpark outrage" we often express here and other fans do on other sites. Somebody has to pay for all those Jumbotrons, luxury boxes, and high player salaries. Kudos to him.

nasox
03-14-2004, 09:01 PM
and about how they can rate it while just taking pictures, they were in town for the 2000 playoff series. They got face tickets right outside of the park with only a little remaining time before the game. They rated it then, and updated the pictures last year.