PDA

View Full Version : Konerko Quote in Tribune Article

3rdgensoxfan
03-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Overall, the article was good. However, there was one quotation by Paul Konerko at the end of the article that seemed very ironic to me.

"It could be a good thing," Konerko said. "By the last five, six days [of spring training], you're ready."

With the dismal first half he had last year, he obviously wasn't ready by the last five or six days of spring training.

sas1974
03-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 3rdgensoxfan
Overall, the article was good. However, there was one quotation by Paul Konerko at the end of the article that seemed very ironic to me.

With the dismal first half he had last year, he obviously wasn't ready by the last five or six days of spring training.

I think he just means after over a month of spring training they are ready to start playing games that mean something. They want to get to it.

SEALgep
03-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Ya, I would take it as a positive. That when you're ready, as you you should be by that time, you're hungry for the competition with meaning.

DonkeyKongerko
03-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Konerko had a pretty outstanding Spring Training last year and we all know what happened in the first half. I don't know what experience of his allowed him to say that.

SEALgep
03-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by DonkeyKongerko
Konerko had a pretty outstanding Spring Training last year and we all know what happened in the first half. I don't know what experience of his allowed him to say that. It's a general consensus from almost everyone in baseball. Ozzie even said something along those lines, and he preaches hard work. Frank as well. No one is saying ST isn't important, but there is a point towards the end where you feel ready and you want to start playing for real. I would be more worried if everyone was saying they weren't ready at the end and need more ST time. At least they say they are ready to go before it is all set and done.