PDA

View Full Version : Diaz Drawing Interest From Afar

SEALgep
03-04-2004, 09:34 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040304&content_id=645442&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

"Various Japanese scouts working the United States have expressed interest to the White Sox about immediately acquiring the services of the 23-year-old right-hander in the Far East. For now, Diaz isn't going anywhere, except possibly to the team's 25-man active roster. "

" "I want to know what's going to happen over here first," said Diaz of the opportunity to pitch professionally in Japan. "I'm a young pitcher, and I have a lot of opportunities here." "

SSN721
03-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Very interesting, has anyone from the Sox organization been picked up by a Japanese team and played professionally over there? I wonder if we ever sent a player over there if it could start a line of communication with the teams over there and generate more international interest and perhaps encourage more asian players to the Sox as opposed to just the Yankees, Dodgers and Mariners.

fuzzy_patters
03-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
Very interesting, has anyone from the Sox organization been picked up by a Japanese team and played professionally over there? I wonder if we ever sent a player over there if it could start a line of communication with the teams over there and generate more international interest and perhaps encourage more asian players to the Sox as opposed to just the Yankees, Dodgers and Mariners.

IIRC, our announcer, Darrin Jackson, and Julio Franco both left the Sox after 1994 to play in Japan.

DrCrawdad
03-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040304&content_id=645442&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

"Various Japanese scouts working the United States have expressed interest to the White Sox about immediately acquiring the services of the 23-year-old right-hander in the Far East. For now, Diaz isn't going anywhere, except possibly to the team's 25-man active roster. "

" "I want to know what's going to happen over here first," said Diaz of the opportunity to pitch professionally in Japan. "I'm a young pitcher, and I have a lot of opportunities here." "

Diaz is an intriguing prospect to me. Hopefully Diaz will continue to progress after his strong winter.

SSN721
03-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
IIRC, our announcer, Darrin Jackson, and Julio Franco both left the Sox after 1994 to play in Japan.

Thanks for the info, I didnt know that. :smile:

SEALgep
03-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Diaz is an intriguing prospect to me. Hopefully Diaz will continue to progress after his strong winter. Me too. He has good stuff, and has pitched very well of late. He has been used as a starter and as a reliever. I wonder, because he hasn't pitched a lot of innings, if he would be better off developing into a hard throwing reliever. I'm not sure, maybe the starter role is best? Has anyone seen him pitch live that would give you an impression either way.

jeremyb1
03-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Me too. He has good stuff, and has pitched very well of late. He has been used as a starter and as a reliever. I wonder, because he hasn't pitched a lot of innings, if he would be better off developing into a hard throwing reliever. I'm not sure, maybe the starter role is best? Has anyone seen him pitch live that would give you an impression either way.

That seems odd to me. I was unaware of the Japanese league pursuing young prospects in the majors. I'm not sure why they feel we'd consider dealing them a 23 year old pitching prospect.

SEALgep
03-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
That seems odd to me. I was unaware of the Japanese league pursuing young prospects in the majors. I'm not sure why they feel we'd consider dealing them a 23 year old pitching prospect. We're not, he's got a lot of talent. However, since he probably isn't going to be on the roster this year, Japan figures to give it a shot. Sometimes it can work out, by either trading for value or future considerations. Maybe they even think they can borrow him for future considerations, and return him in a couple years. That's just pure specualtion on my part, but I'm sure things of that magnitude take place. However, the Sox appear very wise in not risking losing him or having him sustain an injury while not under their watch. We should be developing him ourselves, as either a starter or reliever. He appears near ready, and can help the Sox maybe even later this year, provided he doesn't win a roster spot in ST. We'll see. :smile:

kbriley
03-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Bobby Thigpen was over there for a while too.

StockdaleForVeep
03-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
That seems odd to me. I was unaware of the Japanese league pursuing young prospects in the majors. I'm not sure why they feel we'd consider dealing them a 23 year old pitching prospect.

Perhaps they want him so they can orchestrate a trade to get matsui away from the yankees. Yankees can always use more talent right? RIGHT?!