PDA

View Full Version : Altering division set-ups

Railsplitter
03-04-2004, 09:32 PM
The current divisional set up is as about as geographically sound as it is likely to get. Personally, I think MLB should ditch Tampa Bay and Montreal (two teams who haven't won anything, and thus the places aren't losing anything) and put the Brewers back in the American league.

Daver
03-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Railsplitter
The current divisional set up is as about as geographically sound as it is likely to get. Personally, I think MLB should ditch Tampa Bay and Montreal (two teams who haven't won anything, and thus the places aren't losing anything) and put the Brewers back in the American league.

Try getting that idea past the MLBPA and the United States Congress.

SEALgep
03-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Maybe Montreal, but I think Tampa can be a competitive team in the future. I don't mind them sticking around.

sas1974
03-04-2004, 09:47 PM
The Rays have a few up and comers. It's hard to count them out w/ Sweet Lou running the show. And hell, we couldn't beat them last year.

Rex Hudler
03-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Maybe Montreal, but I think Tampa can be a competitive team in the future. I don't mind them sticking around.

Part of the negotiations with the Montreal players and the union involved an agreement extending the amount of time the owners could contract a team. I am not sure what the final verdict was, but that is the main thing that was holding up the decision during the season when the Expos players were voting on it.

There is a belief amongst the players and the union that MLB wants to contract a team, only to award an "expansion" franchise a short time afterwards. The expansion fee would get the owners more money than selling Montreal outright will. The discussions centered around a commitment from MLB not to contract the club (which cannot be done under the current CBA) or to get them to agree that if the club is contracted, they would not add an expansion club within a certain time frame.

doublem23
03-04-2004, 10:56 PM
It's better to just move Montreal to a better market than get into a fight with the union. I'd like to see them moved to Washington and possibly swapped to the American League with the Brewers. Of course, I have no idea who you move to the AL West to balance it out... Kansas City?

I guess that would give you...

AL East: Baltimore, Boston, New York, Toronto, Tampa Bay, Washington

Central: White Sox, Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, Milwaukee

West: Anaheim, Kansas City, Oakland, Seattle, Texas

:?:

Rex Hudler
03-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
It's better to just move Montreal to a better market than get into a fight with the union.

I think baseball intends to do so, but they have had the same intentions for two years now. The players just don't trust MLB (or at least the union doesn't).

SouthSideHitman
03-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Here's my idea to balance the leagues and divisions that should work out best for everyone.

1. Move the Expos the Washington and the AL East.
2. Move the Pirates to the NL East.
3. Move the Blue Jays to the AL Central.
4. Move KC the the AL West.

That gives you two 15 team leagues and six 5 team divisions. It also gives you an AL franchise back in Washington (third time's the charm!) or Northern Virginia. I like the idea of the Arlington park on the banks of Potomac looking out towards the Washington monument. I think that that would be the most workable long-term solution with the best traditional feel. I think Milwaukee is really more of an NL city whose heart was with the Braves.

Brian26
03-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Here's my idea to balance the leagues and divisions that should work out best for everyone.

That gives you two 15 team leagues and six 5 team divisions. It also gives you an AL franchise back in Washington (third time's the charm!) or Northern Virginia.

It also gives you a giant headache because there can't be an odd-number of teams in a league without having one team idle every night (assuming interleague play isn't going on constantly). There must be an even number of teams in each league, thus the reason for 14 and 16 right now as opposed to two 15-team leagues.

Rex Hudler
03-05-2004, 01:09 AM

That gives you two 15 team leagues and six 5 team divisions. It also gives you an AL franchise back in Washington (third time's the charm!) or Northern Virginia. I like the idea of the Arlington park on the banks of Potomac looking out towards the Washington monument. I think that that would be the most workable long-term solution with the best traditional feel. I think Milwaukee is really more of an NL city whose heart was with the Braves.

And have the Orioles and the new team in Washington, both play in the AL East? I don't think so.....

Let's just put both the Cubs and the Sox in the same division.... the Mets and the Yankees.....

ewokpelts
03-05-2004, 09:18 AM
The CBA allows mlb to contract in the 2006 offseason...and the players can do nothing about it. Aside from renegotiating the CBA.
Gene

ewokpelts
03-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
And have the Orioles and the new team in Washington, both play in the AL East? I don't think so.....

Let's just put both the Cubs and the Sox in the same division.... the Mets and the Yankees.....

but with unbalanced schedules, the allure of the inter-city games would lessen. It would hurt teh Sox moreso than the Cubs.
Gene

sas1974
03-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Two Words: Vegas Expos

And I say we put them in the AL West

gdanne1
03-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler

I might be wrong but isn't there a rule that two teams from the same city can't be in the same league? I think this is one of the reasons why the Cardinals were moved from Chicago to St. Louis.

doublem23
03-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by gdanne1
I might be wrong but isn't there a rule that two teams from the same city can't be in the same league? I think this is one of the reasons why the Cardinals were moved from Chicago to St. Louis.

Baseball's Cardinals have never been in Chicago. The roots of the St. Louis Cardinals can be traced back to 1882 and the old American Association (Off-topic trivia, Charles Comiskey was their manager 8 of their first 10 years; we share a common kinship deeper than just Cubbie-hatin' :D: ). Anyway, when the American Association folded, they began play in the 12-team National League in 1892, which now had all 8 franchises that would make up the League for some 60-odd years. However, the nickname "Cardinals" did not come into existance until 1900. Before then, they were called the Brown Stockings (1882), Browns (1883-1898), and Perfectos (1899).

And the National League had the Dodgers and Giants, both in New York for like 80 years.

SoxEd
03-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by sas1974

The last thing the Sox need is another team in the AL West - how many more losses would that equal each season? :D:

Over By There
03-05-2004, 12:16 PM

I think this is a good solution, and I would be willing to bet the scheduling issue could be worked out. 17 weeks of this season, the Sox have at least one day off, 9 weeks of the year they play Sunday - Saturday.

I think the bigger issue would be that the Orioles owners wouldn't let the Expos move to Washington and be in the AL East. They have a big enough problem with them moving into the neighborhood as it is, but then put them in the same division, playing a bunch of games against the Yankees & Red Sox? I can't see the Orioles standing for that. Cool idea though!

Hokiesox
03-05-2004, 01:16 PM

The property value of anything along the potomac within view of the monument, alone, would cost more than any other MLB park out there. That's just to purchase the land. Besides, that space is currently taken up by a big building in a pentagonal shape, and a cemetery next to it. There isn't any other room.

Nick@Nite
03-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by sas1974

I wonder what the odds are?

That question alone has to have Kenesaw Mountain Landis spinning in his grave.

jordan23ventura
03-05-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Brian26

It also gives you a giant headache because there can't be an odd-number of teams in a league without having one team idle every night (assuming interleague play isn't going on constantly). There must be an even number of teams in each league, thus the reason for 14 and 16 right now as opposed to two 15-team leagues.

Not if interleague play goes throughout the year instead of just summer only. Still the same number of games but instead, how about this: Sox vs. Cubs in September w/ the playoffs on the line instead of just after the Allstar break.

I would really like to see Toronto in the AL Central. Some extra competition may help kick the Sox in the pants and help keep them awake. Since Cleveland there hasn't been any competition, and don't even talk about Minne because the talent level doesn't compare.