PDA

View Full Version : Giants 9 Cubs 3

Mickster
03-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I know it's only spring training but....

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/nelson.jpg

Ha! Ha! :)

DrCrawdad
03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Nothing like a small bit of good news on a gloomy Thursday.

WSox8404
03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Well I'll be damned. The Cubs won't be undefeated in both the regular season and spring training. Oh well.

Palehose13
03-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Who on their untouchable pitching staff gave up all those runs? Do they have Alf back???

Mickster
03-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Who on their untouchable pitching staff gave up all those runs? Do they have Alf back???

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/alfclub/images/newalf07.jpg

Nah..... Not enough fingers... :D:

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 05:10 PM
:woo-woo

"Woo-Woo!"

SoxFan76
03-04-2004, 06:45 PM
It's very early, but thats good to hear.

chisoxmike
03-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Who on their untouchable pitching staff gave up all those runs?

The answer: Matt Clement

chisoxmike
03-04-2004, 06:59 PM
From mlb.com

The Giants jumped on Clement early. Ray Durham and J.T. Snow both singled, and Clement got Barry Bonds to hit a weak comebacker, which advanced both runners. Durham then scored from third on Edgardo Alfonso's groundout.

The Giants added two runs in the second, including an infield RBI double by pinch-hitter David Doster that fell behind Cubs second baseman Todd Walker who slipped and fell on the wet infield grass.

Carlos Zambrano issued a base-loaded walk in the San Francisco fourth to make it 4-1.

The Cubs loaded the bases with none out in the ninth, and Tom Goodwin hit a two-run single to make it 9-3.

harwar
03-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Rick Suttclif said during the game that the White Sox "just don't have the talent" to compete in the AL.I happen to agree with him and think that unless some of our young guys have very good years we will be under .500.

SoxEd
03-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
http://www.angelfire.com/oh/alfclub/images/newalf07.jpg

Nah..... Not enough fingers... :D:
LOL

depy48
03-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by chisoxmike
From mlb.com

The Giants jumped on Clement early. Ray Durham and J.T. Snow both singled, and Clement got Barry Bonds to hit a weak comebacker, which advanced both runners. Durham then scored from third on Edgardo Alfonso's groundout.

The Giants added two runs in the second, including an infield RBI double by pinch-hitter David Doster that fell behind Cubs second baseman Todd Walker who slipped and fell on the wet infield grass.

Carlos Zambrano issued a base-loaded walk in the San Francisco fourth to make it 4-1.

The Cubs loaded the bases with none out in the ninth, and Tom Goodwin hit a two-run single to make it 9-3.

i'm expecting a crap year from zambrano

Rocklive99
03-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Funny how the ESPNEWS ticker shows the scores of all the other games that went final except this one (and also showed the LA/Mets score yesterday)

mulvaskills
03-05-2004, 11:37 AM
:troll

Rocklive99
03-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
Funny how the ESPNEWS ticker shows the scores of all the other games that went final except this one (and also showed the LA/Mets score yesterday)

I was wrong, they're now showing it, but in a 9-3 Giants win, the 3 highlights of the game that were shown were: 1) Bonds grounds out to Clement, 2) A Sosa catch in the outfield, and 3) Patterson's solo HR

SoxxoS
03-05-2004, 12:40 PM
On a side note:

Corey Patterson would look GREAT in a Sox uni. Him and Prior are the only guys I would want on the Sox.

A left handed stick with speed and power that plays a great CF? Sounds like Rowand.

bc2k
03-05-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
On a side note:

Corey Patterson would look GREAT in a Sox uni. Him and Prior are the only guys I would want on the Sox.

A left handed stick with speed and power that plays a great CF? Sounds like Rowand.

Patterson, from my perspective, is a guy who is misusing his best talents. Sounds more like a selfish Durham to me.

sas1974
03-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Patterson, from my perspective, is a guy who is misusing his best talents. Sounds more like a selfish Durham to me.

Can you go into more detail w/ this one? It's an interesting comment and am curious as to what you are getting at?

bc2k
03-05-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Can you go into more detail w/ this one? It's an interesting comment and am curious as to what you are getting at?

Yes, my last post was vague. By Corey misusing his best talents, I suspect that he purposely failed as a leadoff hitter because he wanted to be a power hitter and hit lower in the lineup. So by selfish, I mean his batting approach was for personal goals and not for the betterment of his team. Baylor had the right idea having him leadoff, but Baker was the manager who made the change.

A guy with Corey's speed, quickness, and body is a prototypical leadoff hitter and centerfielder. The only thing stopping Corey from being one is his mindset, which controls his batting approach. Sure he doesn't walk like a good leadoff hitter does, but I attribute that fault to his desire, or mindset, to be a power hitter; he doesn't want to walk.

Corey is a pure athlete who can probably succeed as a power hitter (assuming he visits Sosa's pharmacist) but I believe he would make a better leadoff/slap/gap hitter, which is why I said "best" talents.