PDA

View Full Version : The White Sox Encyclopedia

E Coast Sox Fan
03-04-2004, 03:46 PM
Has anyone read this? Any other suggestions about books on the White Sox?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156639449X/002-0153096-5796022?v=glance

cheeses_h_rice
03-04-2004, 03:57 PM
I bought mine 4 years ago, and it's pretty darn exhaustive, at least up to the point where it was published (1995?). I highly recommend it.

SoxEd
03-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Think I stand any chance of being able to persuade my local (British) Public Library to buy a copy?

Daver
03-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxEd
Think I stand any chance of being able to persuade my local (British) Public Library to buy a copy?

I'm sure they will jump right on about the same time that the snow drifts start piling up in the place where the guy with the horns and the pointy stick normally conducts business.

:bandance:

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Perhaps if you convinced them it was some obscure military regiment, or has something to so with some anachronistic job in the Royal household, like "Bleacher of the Regent's Stockings".

MisterB
03-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I'm sure they will jump right on about the same time that the snow drifts start piling up in the place where the guy with the horns and the pointy stick normally conducts business.

:reinsy
"But it's already snowed in Chicago..."

SoxEd
03-04-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Daver

:bandance:

I thought it often snowed in Pittsburgh?

Originally posted by Baby Fisk

Perhaps if you convinced them it was some obscure military regiment, or has something to so with some anachronistic job in the Royal household, like "Bleacher of the Regent's Stockings".

For a Colonial type, you seem to be rather familiar with the thought-processes of the British Public Sector - are you a former Secret Agent for those dastardly Fenchies?

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan

I have this book and find it invaluable as a one-stop resource. The description in the amazon link gives you a sense of the different sections. Be warned: the great Terry Bevington is still managing the Sox in this book! (published 1997)

I've started compiling a reading list on my own, and it's at about two dozen titles at this point. Does anyone else have a reading list to share?

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 04:21 PM
For a Colonial type, you seem to be rather familiar with the thought-processes of the British Public Sector - are you a former Secret Agent for those dastardly Fenchies?

No French here, thank you! My daytime disguise is as one of Her Majesty's civil servants in Toronto. I also watch my dvd's of Yes, Minister and Black Adder religiously! :D:

SoxEd
03-04-2004, 04:38 PM
I also watch my dvd's of Yes, Minister and Black Adder religiously! :D:

Both of these are in the BBC's Top Ten British Sitcoms survey at the moment - the voting to decide the winner is ongoing.
I think that they're both the Best British Sitcom.

Saddo that I am, I still use the phrase 'vanished like an old Oak table' to describe something that I cannot find, despite it being over 10 years since Blackadder II was first shown - people tend to look at me with pained, sympathetic expressions.

And I still have unprintable thoughts about 'Bob'... :D:

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 04:43 PM
And I still have unprintable thoughts about 'Bob'... :D:

You might want to take that to one of the debate threads on same-sex marriage... :D:

SoxEd
03-04-2004, 05:03 PM
You might want to take that to one of the debate threads on same-sex marriage... :D:

No, I'm not a
"homosexual with no more right to be on God's clean Earth than a Weasel";
Bob, as you will know if you've got Blackadder II, is what the name of Edmund's 'manservant' was:

Lord B: "What's your name boy?"

'Boy': "Kate, my Lord."

Lord B: "Kate? Isn't that a bit of a girl's name?"

'Boy': " No my Lord, it's not my name, it's a nickname - it's short for... er... Bob."

Which series do you have?

Kittle
03-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by E Coast Sox Fan

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156639449X/002-0153096-5796022?v=glance

I have it and it's a pretty good account of the team's history. I wish they would publish a new version, though (IIRC, this one was published prior to the '97 season).

Lip Man 1
03-04-2004, 07:08 PM
"Do you have anything that doesn't got span in it?"

Lip

StillMissOzzie
03-05-2004, 12:20 AM
I got this book for Christmas in 2000. Maybe SoxEd can propose it as a reference source.

SMO
:gulp:

HITMEN OF 77
03-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Great book, if you don't have it I would get it. Picked up an autographed (author) copy years back. One thing I don't like about it is, they don't list all players that played for the Sox. There are some guys that played in a handfull of games in 1 or 2 years for the Sox but they aren't included in the book. Gerry Nyman being one, if memory serves me correct, Janeski being another. They need to issue a new one soon, but this older one will be fine for now.

Baby Fisk
03-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Which series do you have?
I've got the 5-disc set.

"Better a quack than a duckie. Good day, sir!"

Brian26
03-05-2004, 09:03 AM
The White Sox Encyclopedia is a fantastic resource. I believe it only goes up to 1997 though, as someone else pointed out. Still, it has tons of great information, photographs, and stats. It's difficult to read from from to back as a book, because of its setup, but still a must-have, in my opinion.