PDA

View Full Version : AL East Laughing at AL Central

sas1974
03-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Article about Jays and Rays being stuck in the in East:

Haves-Have Not from ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1748433)

"They can put us in the AL Central," Wells chuckles. "I think we might have a better chance over there."

How embarrassing is it when other players in the league think your division is a joke?

StepsInSC
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Sadly, its kind of true. Any of the 4 teams other than the Rays could have just as much chance of winning the Central as any team currently does.

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
He who laughs at others covers his own grief.

The Jays WISH they could compete with NY and Boston, but it must suck knowing that you don't have much of a shot at winning your division, maybe not even competing for the WC. The Sox have a better chance at the post-season than the Jays. That's what Wells is indirectly implying. He knows that unless NY and Boston both implode, the Jays will be playing this season for...um...pride?

thepaulbowski
03-04-2004, 03:40 PM
With the record the Jays had last year they would have been in the thick of things playing in the Central. Imagine if they had gotten to play Detroit & Cleveland as many times as the Sox did. They would have had a much better record.

sas1974
03-04-2004, 03:55 PM
I guess that's the way it goes though. I bet no one was begging to play in our division those 10 years (at least is seemed that long) that the Indians were dominating the Central.

Tekijawa
03-04-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm supprised their the only ones

ChiSox14305635
03-04-2004, 04:11 PM
AL Central vs. Blue Jays in 2003:

White Sox: 6-3
Twins: 3-3
Royals: 1-5
Indians: 2-4
Tigers: 1-7

The Sox won the season series against the Jays, the Twins were swept in the Metrodome, but returned the favor in the Skydome. The other 3 teams were dominated by the Jays. But I'm hoping the WS champ comes out of this division, as I'm sick and tired of hearing this "weak division" garbage.

SoxFan76
03-04-2004, 06:49 PM
I understand the Central is a weak division. But didn't the Twins win 90 games and the Sox win 86 games? That's pretty decent. And the Royals weren't too far behind. I don't understand why our division gets that much crap. Sure, it isn't one of the better divisions in baseball, but it's not THAT bad.

joecrede
03-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Give the Sox 24 more home games with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Orioles, 24 less against the Tigers, Twins, and Royals and you can add 250,000 to their yearly attendance easily.

ChiSox14305635
03-04-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
I understand the Central is a weak division. But didn't the Twins win 90 games and the Sox win 86 games? That's pretty decent. And the Royals weren't too far behind. I don't understand why our division gets that much crap. Sure, it isn't one of the better divisions in baseball, but it's not THAT bad.

Probably because AL Central team utilizes their farm systems, not go shopping for overpriced talent.

Lip Man 1
03-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Chisox says: "Probably because AL Central team utilizes their farm systems, not go shopping for overpriced talent."

and when was the last time an A.L. Central team was in the World Series?

Wells is absolutely correct.

Lip

joecrede
03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Chisox says: "Probably because AL Central team utilizes their farm systems, not go shopping for overpriced talent."

Lip

Is your point that an AL Central team will never win a World Series?

batmanZoSo
03-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
AL Central vs. Blue Jays in 2003:

White Sox: 6-3
Twins: 3-3
Royals: 1-5
Indians: 2-4
Tigers: 1-7

The Sox won the season series against the Jays, the Twins were swept in the Metrodome, but returned the favor in the Skydome. The other 3 teams were dominated by the Jays. But I'm hoping the WS champ comes out of this division, as I'm sick and tired of hearing this "weak division" garbage.

It's cyclical. When the divisions realigned, the West was a complete joke. In 94, the Rangers finished first under .500. Now the west is pretty solid save for the aforementioned ballclub.

The NL Central used to be called comedy central, now they have three solid teams, e.g, Houston, St.Louis and Cincy.....wink wink

Lip Man 1
03-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Joe:

As long as the team payrolls are what they are right now.... yes. They won't even sniff a World Series let alone win it.

and I'll be happy to wager you on that, you give the odds and we can set it up for the next three to five years.

That's how confident I am that our White Sox, Royals or Twins won't be able to beat the Yanks, Red Sox AND (or) Angels or A's. Remember you have to win tyeo series just to get to the World Series.

Please don't start with the "anybody can get lucky" stuff. In a five game series...sure but not in a seven game series.

After Cleveland in 97 the cobbered has been empty right?

Lip

Nick@Nite
03-05-2004, 02:03 AM
That was one stupid article.

kermittheefrog
03-05-2004, 02:27 AM
Joe:

As long as the team payrolls are what they are right now.... yes. They won't even sniff a World Series let alone win it.

and I'll be happy to wager you on that, you give the odds and we can set it up for the next three to five years.

That's how confident I am that our White Sox, Royals or Twins won't be able to beat the Yanks, Red Sox AND (or) Angels or A's. Remember you have to win tyeo series just to get to the World Series.

Please don't start with the "anybody can get lucky" stuff. In a five game series...sure but not in a seven game series.

After Cleveland in 97 the cobbered has been empty right?

Lip

Have you even been watching baseball the last two years? The Angels were consensus last place picks in the west and they won a series. The Marlins weren't supposed to have a chance compared to the Phillies or the Braves. They won a world series. How long can you ignore real life and live in your own little fantasy world? You take shots at sabermetricians but you're the one spouting out nonsense that has no basis in reality.

ChiSox14305635
03-05-2004, 04:14 AM

Lip

Your optimism level astounds me.

Jerko
03-05-2004, 09:21 AM
The AL Central took a shot from Theo Epstein in SI this week too. There was an article about the Orioles in there and he said "they have a heck of an offense; they could probably win the Central" or something like that. If I were an Oriole I'd be trying a little extra hard against the Red Sox for that statement since it basically implied that Baltimore has no chance of beating Boston, AKA, the American League Cubs. Another team who hasn't won squat in a century and looks down on everybody else.

Lip Man 1
03-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Chisox:

Well remember I've been floored by that tremendous average record of 83-79 from the Sox since the White Flag Trade.

And certainly I'm optimistic when I see the Sox payroll compared to oh...the Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, Mariners. Payroll equates to talent level. Teams with higher payrolls have better players, better players, especially in a seven game series usually equates with success.

For every Florida Marlins having won a championship, there are ten teams like the Yanks, Braves, Mariners, Red Sox, Giants, Cardinals etc. getting to the post season. Funny all those teams have had high payrolls (imagine that!)

Unlike some I don't think the Chicago White Sox should have to reply on "luck" to win something. If that's the case they should be renamed the Milwaukee White Sox, or Pittsburgh White Sox.

Lip