PDA

View Full Version : Chris Singleton released from Pirates

Mickster
03-04-2004, 02:51 PM
Here is the LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-pirates-singleton&prov=ap&type=lgns) .

Not a bad 4th outfielder IMO.

davidleeroth
03-04-2004, 03:03 PM
that guy had deceptive speed in center field. i saw him make 1 mistake in cf the whole 2000 season, not bad imo. his ba was low all season until they fired the hitting coach and the new one decided his bat was too light. i want him back, if the sox wanted to win now, they'd put him in center over rowand

sas1974
03-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Just say, "NO!"

We have outfielders just waiting for a chance to play. Do you want to see Reed/Borchard get a shot or the return of Chris Singleton?

anewman35
03-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Anyway, he failed his physical. Do you really want to give money to somebody who isn't even healthy?

mike squires
03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Do you know why he failed his physical? He always looked in great shape. Another former Whitesox with huge potential coming up way short.

TaylorStSox
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Wasn't he a 27 year old rookie? I wouldn't call that "huge potential." He's had a nice career for a AAAA player.

anewman35
03-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Do you know why he failed his physical?

The article above just says:

Citing confidentiality issues, Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield declined to give the reason Singleton failed his physical.

thepaulbowski
03-04-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Mickster
Here is the LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-pirates-singleton&prov=ap&type=lgns) .

Not bad....terrible. Please, no.

MisterB
03-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
Just say, "NO!"

We have outfielders just waiting for a chance to play. Do you want to see Reed/Borchard get a shot or the return of Chris Singleton?

If Reed or Borchard were to be relegated to bench duty, I'd rather have Singleton on the bench and have them starting in AAA.

Palehose13
03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
If Reed or Borchard were to be relegated to bench duty, I'd rather have Singleton on the bench and have them starting in AAA.
Yes. I would rather have Reed and Borchard playing everyday and getting their cuts in AAA so that they can make a contribution when it is their time in Chicago.

SEALgep
03-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Bernard and Gload make for better extra outfielders, we're fine there.

Daver
03-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Mickster

The Sox already have a 4th outfielder,he plays CF.

Mickster
03-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Daver

LOL :D:

ode to veeck
03-04-2004, 05:46 PM
you mean crash?! LOL

Paulwny
03-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Daver

I'm also LOL however, you may have just started up the bi-monthly meeting on the FOC fan club.

hftrex
03-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Perhaps we could offer him a minor league deal and in a year or so he could be ready once again for the big time...............

Randar68
03-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Bernard and Gload make for better extra outfielders, we're fine there.

I hope you're either drunk or high if you think either of those guys could even be competent in CF...

IIRC, I read something about Singleton seeking treatment for some sight or balance issues... Damn, I can't remember, but it wasn't anything like a foot or shoulder...

If he get's it straightened away, I'd rather have him in CF than Rowand, and based on each's career splits, the platoon of the 2 might actually combine to equal one competent player...

sas1974
03-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by MisterB

I agree with that, I was thinking if one of them leapfrogged Rowand. It's looking like Gload is shaping up for #4 so far though. Either way, with Singleton failing the physical, I don't think there's much more to talk about.

soxfan26
03-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Failing a physical is defiantely a big red flag.

We should be scouring the earth for plan B's and C's in CF though....

Champ Summers
03-04-2004, 07:04 PM
he failed the physical because of an unidentified inner ear problem, he hadn't been allowed to participate in training exercises...

sas1974
03-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Champ Summers
he failed the physical because of an unidentified inner ear problem, he hadn't been allowed to participate in training exercises...

While that may not seem as bad as something like blowing out a knee on the surface, it's probably much more unpredictable.

Does anyone remember Scottie Pippen's notorious migraines?

ode to veeck
03-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Chris failed the physical when the speed of his bat failed to register any MPH on the radar gun