PDA

View Full Version : new one for media

rcescato
03-04-2004, 02:48 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/brown/cst-nws-brown041.html
Check out this article on our naming of our seating section.
Talk about complaining about everything the Sox do. I am so sick of White Sox bashing. It would be so great if the Sox win the division and the cubs come in 2nd or 3rd and out of the playoffs.
Then there was Santo today predicting all 5 starters for the cubs could win 18 or more games. I guess they are going 140-22
I can't wait.
Rich

soxnut
03-04-2004, 03:24 PM
I emailed the guy with a complaint.

mike squires
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by rcescato
http://www.suntimes.com/output/brown/cst-nws-brown041.html
Check out this article on our naming of our seating section.
Talk about complaining about everything the Sox do. I am so sick of White Sox bashing. It would be so great if the Sox win the division and the cubs come in 2nd or 3rd and out of the playoffs.
Then there was Santo today predicting all 5 starters for the cubs could win 18 or more games. I guess they are going 140-22
I can't wait.
Rich

Hanger, I didn't know you changed your alias! :D:

jackbrohamer
03-04-2004, 03:47 PM
I like this quote: "As far as I can tell, the only baseball stadium in America that's trying to pass off a seat in the last row as a box seat is U.S. Cellular Field."

I'm sure he did an exhaustive survey of the other 29 major league stadiums, as well as all of the minor league and college parks.

Nothing like a columnist mailing one in when he has nothing interesting to write about.

kittle42
03-04-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by jackbrohamer
I like this quote: "As far as I can tell, the only baseball stadium in America that's trying to pass off a seat in the last row as a box seat is U.S. Cellular Field."

I'm sure he did an exhaustive survey of the other 29 major league stadiums, as well as all of the minor league and college parks.

Nothing like a columnist mailing one in when he has nothing interesting to write about.

Mark Brown is a Sox fan (well, in the sense that he's a Cards fan and doesn't root for the Cubs so kinda likes the Sox by default) and has a legit gripe about this, I think. He also criticizes other teams for making "box seat" designations in areas nowhere near the field.

Uncle_Patrick
03-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey, the Sun-Times publishes only the most important stories!

sas1974
03-04-2004, 04:01 PM
I kind of agree that it's a bit absurd to call the last row of the upper deck "box" seats, but is this fact really worthy of an entire article in a major market newspaper.

This is the crap they come up with when they don't have Ozzie and Frank fights to write about.

What's next?

[Insert ridiculous headline HERE]

serena
03-04-2004, 04:32 PM
He has a point. I'd be po-d if I shelled out extra bucks for a box seat and ended up in the last row. The very people who are going to fall into this trap are the ones who don't go out to the park much ... and probably won't after that experience ...

I don't like seeing the article given all the other bad or non-existant coverage, but I can't argue with what he says.

kittle42
03-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
I kind of agree that it's a bit absurd to call the last row of the upper deck "box" seats, but is this fact really worthy of an entire article in a major market newspaper.

It's a daily column and Brown often talks about the trivial.

cheeses_h_rice
03-04-2004, 04:40 PM
<Grandpa Simpson>Bitch, bitch, bitch!</Grandpa Simpson>

rmusacch
03-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by soxnut
I emailed the guy with a complaint.

He probably will not respond. I emailed Mariotti yesterday complaining about his hyprocrisy in calling Bonds out. No response yet.

anewman35
03-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by serena
He has a point. I'd be po-d if I shelled out extra bucks for a box seat and ended up in the last row. The very people who are going to fall into this trap are the ones who don't go out to the park much ... and probably won't after that experience ...

Anybody who buys tickets without ever looking at where the seats are is stupid, and I have no sympathy for anything that happens to them. Besides, for most games, if they really care more about being lower down, they can move down the line and be front row, no problem.

thepaulbowski
03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
He probably will not respond. I emailed Mariotti yesterday complaining about his hyprocrisy in calling Bonds out. No response yet.

He probably receives so many complaints that he can't keep up.

Hangar18
03-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Mark Brown bashes the SOX, but its a Very Good Story. No SoxFluff (as if there were such a thing) He Rightly accuses the SOX of doing something most teams wouldnt do........Foolishly call MOST of their UD seats "Box Seats". He points out that they also have adopted the Cubs Knife-in-the-back strategy of charging more for tickets on weekends as opposed to weeknites.
Thanks alot Freakin Cubs. (reason 12,990 why i hate that team) Bravo Mr Brown for calling it like it is. Mike Kiley could use a lesson from him. Note how Mr Brown writes FROM HIS PERSPECTIVE!! he doesnt Go YELLOW and write from the 3rd person, like a certain Kiley guy does. Mr Brown Stands
Writes his article with his Point of View, No Hiding like a Coward behind a computer screen. Bravo Mr Brown

mike squires
03-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Anybody who buys tickets without ever looking at where the seats are is stupid, and I have no sympathy for anything that happens to them. Besides, for most games, if they really care more about being lower down, they can move down the line and be front row, no problem.

You are probably right about moving down the line, let's hope it won't be that easy though...

SoxFan76
03-04-2004, 06:36 PM
So maybe this guy has a point. That's great, except nobody talks about how crappy Wrigley Field is. That place isn't anything to look at either. But everyone thinks they are supposed to love Wrigely, no matter what. In fact, U.S. Cellular Field is much better than Wrigley. (Like I had to tell you all that)

ewokpelts
03-04-2004, 07:39 PM
Hey,

The Sox are being a bit sneaky. When you select best availabel in teh 500 level on ticketmaster, you'll be given seats in teh highest price point. And since UDB are higher priced, you'll be getting those seats....even though you can get first row for 8 bucks cheeper down the line...
Gene

anewman35
03-04-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
Hey,

The Sox are being a bit sneaky. When you select best availabel in teh 500 level on ticketmaster, you'll be given seats in teh highest price point. And since UDB are higher priced, you'll be getting those seats....even though you can get first row for 8 bucks cheeper down the line...
Gene

Well, the price difference is new, but it's pretty much always been like that - I always thought it was funny when people would sit in, say, row 25 behind the plate, because you could usually easilly go about 15 rows closer by moving over a section or two.

soxnut
03-05-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by rmusacch

He did respond. He said that it's his right to poke fun of the Sox if he feels like it. Anyway this whole subject is very trivial anyway.

I also agree with anewman35. If you don't pay attention to what you are really buying, then it's your own fault. Take responsibility for yourself.

soxnut
03-05-2004, 02:27 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hangar18
[B]Mark Brown bashes the SOX, but its a Very Good Story. No SoxFluff (as if there were such a thing) He Rightly accuses the SOX of doing something most teams wouldnt do........Foolishly call MOST of their UD seats "Box Seats".

Yeah other teams call them "view level" like what is that suppose to mean. Is it the only place you can "view" the game???

Who gives a crap what they are called. Pay attention to what you are buying.............]

Blueprint1
03-05-2004, 02:56 AM
this is stupid. I dont think anyone looks at what kind of seat they get anymore most poeple look at the section and row of the seats. I could be wrong but i havent heard anyone get excited about "box seats" since like 1986.

voodoochile
03-05-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Well, the price difference is new, but it's pretty much always been like that - I always thought it was funny when people would sit in, say, row 25 behind the plate, because you could usually easilly go about 15 rows closer by moving over a section or two.

It is easy to do that when you walk up to the park, or even if you order over the phone (use the Sox box office, not ticketmaster).

In fact it used to be even worse. You could end up all the way down by third base in the 15th row paying box seat prices for your seat when there were seats in the 16th row right behind the batters circle for less.