PDA

View Full Version : Another Classic Fisk Moment: Pudge sets Deion Sanders straight

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 09:36 AM
There's a new book on the 100th anniversary of the World Series just published. It's called An American Classic: the World Series at 100 by Ken Leiker. It's a compilation of great moments, memorable series, star players, WS dynasties, etc. Not a bad book -- the layout is very colourful and packed with photos.

There's a section on unforgettable moments that includes Carlton Fisk's home run in Game 6, 1975. Amazingly, most of this two page spread talks about Fisk the man, his background and personality. It includes this classic moment:

One day in New York, 22-year-old "Neon" Deion Sanders of the Yankees, a two-sport player earning millions, hit a pop-up and walked toward first base. The 42-year-old Fisk, who was behind the plate, stalked angrily toward Sanders and shouted, "Run it out, you piece of ****!" Approaching the plate for his next at bat, Sanders felt the piercing glare of Fisk and muttered something about slavery having been abolished. The boiling Fisk retorted that Hank Aaron and Willie Mays ran out their pop-ups when they played, and that Sanders, less than a month in the big leagues, damn well would do it, too. Fisk got into Sanders' face and shouted, "Let me tell you something, you little **********, there's a right way and a wrong way to play this game. You're playing it the wrong way -- and the rest of us don't like it!"

There's literally no room left on the page after this story, so the rest of it goes something like:

...Oh, and BTW Fisk hit one of baseball's most famous home runs. Game Six, 1975 World Series. Everyone's seen the clip. He does this Salem witch dance and wills a ball fair. Classic. Ayup, classic stuff.

Fisk my hero!

:pudge
"Damn straight."

PINWHEELS
03-04-2004, 09:39 AM
We Need MORE Players in MLB Like Fisk. Old School!

Dan H
03-04-2004, 09:58 AM
One of Fisk's great moments. Baseball didn't need nor did it ever miss Neon Deion.

Maximo
03-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I always hoped that Fisk would have ended up in some coaching capacity with the Sox........ultimately even managing the team, some day. I suppose the "rift" between "Pudge" and the ownership laid to rest any possiblilities of that ever happening.

Fisk Fan
03-04-2004, 10:21 AM
No matter how many times I hear that story, it still makes me smile. Some of today's players could stand to learn a thing or two from the players before them. Good post Baby Fisk!

Deadguy
03-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Deion epitomizes everything that is wrong with the modern athlete. He's a show-boat, he's arrogant, and makes it no secret that his primary objective is personally glory with the intention of marketing himself so that he could maximize the potentional money he could receive. He has little to no respect for the integirty of the games of Baseball or Football. The quiet, modest superstar is truly the exception, not the norm in present day sports.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
Deion epitomizes everything that is wrong with the modern athlete. He's a show-boat, he's arrogant, and makes it no secret that his primary objective is personally glory with the intention of marketing himself so that he could maximize the potentional money he could receive. He has little to no respect for the integirty of the games of Baseball or Football. The quiet, modest superstar is truly the exception, not the norm in present day sports.

:shammy
Once you said football, I realized you couldn't have been talking about me!

surfdudes
03-04-2004, 07:01 PM
That story has been my sig- you gotta love that guy!

harwar
03-04-2004, 07:09 PM
I wish that the White Sox would offer Fisk a job.A guy like that is just good to have around.The cubs have just about every old superstar that ever played for them as a coach,and i think it will pay off.