PDA

View Full Version : McCarthyism?

Elvisfan1977
03-04-2004, 02:24 AM
After following Steroidgate '04 and the many defensive quotes distributed through the media, as well as Gary Shefield's idiotic appearance on Sports Center with Dan Patrick, does anyone feel the same way as I do? I find it interesting that Dusty Baker calls this investigation, or in my opinion, lack there of, "McCarthyism". Considering the fact it was his clubhouse Barry Bonds was in when the steroids were allegedly used. Do you think he's protecting himself, or does he really believe a player wouldn't tarnish the game in such a way? Afterall, over 5 % of the players did test positive for 'roids this last year. Wouldn't it make Baker look as if he had no control in his clubhouse if players were in fact using performance enhancing drugs? Which brings me to another point. If Baker did look the other way with Bonds, why wouldn't he do the same with another player, such as Sammy Sosa? Both Bonds and Sosa have almost doubled if not tripled in size since they've entered the game ten years ago. It's all muscle too. They both used to look like sticks and now I'm sure they could go to the Bears minicamp as unrestricted free agents and make the team. Is it me, or are Dusty's hands just as dirty as the players? I'd love to know your biased opinions. :chimp

Hangar18
03-04-2004, 10:09 AM
Dusty is Hiding. And hes hiding what he knows. This stuff with Bonds happened on his watch, and now the Flim-Flam man is trying to worm his way out of this and escape accountability by
schmoozing the Chicago Media and telling Jokes. Somehow, the Media is buying it and hes in the clear again. The fact that 2 giants players were using the stuff, had these shady guys hanging around the clubhouse tells Me DUSTYS A CHEATER TOO.
he knew it was wrong. Any other town, The Media would be Crucifying him, but lucky for him hes a cub. When you start seeing articles by Mike Kiley, in which he suddenly begins writing from the "3rd person" point of view about Dustys controversy(so as not to fall in disfavor with the bigot himself) When you see Bruce Levine calling him "intelligent" for bringing up "McCarthyism" on his show and Dodge asking the Tough Questions, when you see Carol Bimbo II Sleazak pulling a
"Kiley" and telling the fans that they dont care about Steroids,
theres more pressing issues at hand.....like a cub world series,
You know somethings not right with the Chicago Media.
Her own words "When I think of Steroids, I think of Bonds Giambi and Sheffield". no mention of Sosa at all, peculiar huh?
There is no McCarthyism. Dustys move is the equivalent
of playing the Race Card.

Elvisfan1977
03-04-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Dusty is Hiding. And hes hiding what he knows. This stuff with Bonds happened on his watch, and now the Flim-Flam man is trying to worm his way out of this and escape accountability by
schmoozing the Chicago Media and telling Jokes. Somehow, the Media is buying it and hes in the clear again. The fact that 2 giants players were using the stuff, had these shady guys hanging around the clubhouse tells Me DUSTYS A CHEATER TOO.
he knew it was wrong. Any other town, The Media would be Crucifying him, but lucky for him hes a cub. When you start seeing articles by Mike Kiley, in which he suddenly begins writing from the "3rd person" point of view about Dustys controversy(so as not to fall in disfavor with the bigot himself) When you see Bruce Levine calling him "intelligent" for bringing up "McCarthyism" on his show and Dodge asking the Tough Questions, when you see Carol Bimbo II Sleazak pulling a
"Kiley" and telling the fans that they dont care about Steroids,
theres more pressing issues at hand.....like a cub world series,
You know somethings not right with the Chicago Media.
Her own words "When I think of Steroids, I think of Bonds Giambi and Sheffield". no mention of Sosa at all, peculiar huh?
There is no McCarthyism. Dustys move is the equivalent
of playing the Race Card.

Did you read the article by Rick Morrisey about putting an astrik on baseball for the last ten years? He makes some good points, and if Dusty or Sleazak think winning a World Series is more important than player's cheating by using steroids, I would direct the both of them to John Kass' column on March 3rd in the Tribune. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0403030292mar03,1,7143438.column?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

GOC
03-04-2004, 12:56 PM
It would be nice if someone in the media had the guts to rake Dusty over the coals . Why would he get that defensive if hes got nothing to hide ? Steroids are an almost universally agreed upon problem with the game but somehow there's something wrong with us for wanting to get to the bottom of it . It's not McCarthyism or a witch hunt if it's a genuine and prolific problem . 5-7% ( conservatively ) of your population is a genuine and prolific problem and demands a high degree of scrutiny .

Jerko
03-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Not knowingly? Great, now even if we catch them in the act, all they have to say is they didn't know what they were shooting/ingesting/rubbing on was a steroid? This will never end so I guess we better start accepting it. MLB players are a fraud. If they don't all want to be looked upon as such, they better start "snitching", as a not so great mind calls it. Good article though.

Medford Bobby
03-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Say so long as Dusty brings that World Series flag to the baseball shrine of the world...he can say the white man is the devil and reporters would follow up with"so how's Prior's Achilles??" :angry:

davidleeroth
03-04-2004, 03:11 PM
mccarthyism is the worst term possible to use with the steroid issue, even though the media seems to be latching on to it. communism, like it or not, was not illegal in the united states which made mccarthyism wrong. steroid are illegal. big difference.

Jerko
03-04-2004, 03:20 PM
I think what pisses me off the most in all of this is all the lying, double talk, and blame shifting going on. Do Baker, Selig, Bonds, Giambi, Sosa, think that we, the fans, are REALLY THAT DUMB? Like I said, I'd have more respect for these guys if they would just come out and ADMIT it than using race cards, McCarthyism references, gag orders, and asking us to believe they didn't know what they were ingesting. The "volunteering" to take the test is a lie as well; these guys know darn well they will NOT be "allowed" to do that. Give me a break; and give us SOME credit as fans for not being stupid.

Elvisfan1977
03-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I think what pisses me off the most in all of this is all the lying, double talk, and blame shifting going on. Do Baker, Selig, Bonds, Giambi, Sosa, think that we, the fans, are REALLY THAT DUMB? Like I said, I'd have more respect for these guys if they would just come out and ADMIT it than using race cards, McCarthyism references, gag orders, and asking us to believe they didn't know what they were ingesting. The "volunteering" to take the test is a lie as well; these guys know darn well they will NOT be "allowed" to do that. Give me a break; and give us SOME credit as fans for not being stupid.

Well said.

Hangar18
03-04-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by davidleeroth
mccarthyism is the worst term possible to use with the steroid issue, even though the media seems to be latching on to it. communism, like it or not, was not illegal in the united states which made mccarthyism wrong. steroid are illegal. big difference.

Excellent Post

Hangar18
03-04-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
I think what pisses me off the most in all of this is all the lying, double talk, and blame shifting going on. Do Baker, Selig, Bonds, Giambi, Sosa, think that we, the fans, are REALLY THAT DUMB?

That is what is BURNING me up the most about all of this. Just because the Media is quick to latch onto its favorite team here, and pass the story over, its not "going away" like they want it to (Cub-Times article by Mike "Yellow" Kiley "Dusty wants to talk just about baseball, not steroids")
Of course Dusty only wants to "talk baseball" Kiley you JackAss!!
Hes FlimFlamming You like a Chump and your so much of a cub-lover and Dusty Butt Kisser, your willing to Sell your Professional Integrity Out, so you can sample the Playoff Buffet Spread in October. Does the Media have no Shame? Pathetic
Just because 1/2 of Chicagos Fans are Stupid, doesnt mean
its OK to Pander to them

Hangar18
03-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by GOC
It would be nice if someone in the media had the guts to rake Dusty over the coals . Why would he get that defensive if hes got nothing to hide ?

Channel 7's "the professor" did. And was Laughed at and Mocked by his Own Peers for doing so. What does that tell you about the Chicago Media? 2 words. Sell-Outs