PDA

View Full Version : More on Barry...

beckett21
03-04-2004, 12:52 AM
Andy Van Slyke speaks out. I am sure there will be many more stories to come...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4440128/

ode to veeck
03-04-2004, 01:17 AM
there may be a gag on mlb by bud, but there's no removin the asterisk category, 98% of baseball fans everywhere are moving barry and sammy and pizza face macguire to now the juice has hit the fan

remember roger maris' asterisk for so many years , welll it be nothing compared to the steroid vs non-steroid MLB records double set of books

not like everyone hasn't been doing it the last 50 years, if you include collegiate and pro interior linemen since the 60s, but baseball records that stood for decades and get shattered by a fleet of the steroid boys derserve their own page of the record books for that more entertaining chemically induced species of the new millineum, the advanced man of 2001

davenicholson
03-04-2004, 08:09 AM
I'm very interested in how the steroid investigation is going to turn out. I have my opinions, but just based on the physical changes in people like Giambi, Sosa and Bonds. OK, the magical increase in home runs, just when the game needed it made me a bit suspicious...

Since I'm old and don't lift weights any more, can some of you younger studs out there answer a couple of questions? Van Slyke stated in the article that we know, for example, that Randy Johnson is not taking steroids. Do we? Not to single Johnson nor anyone else out, but is a King Kong increase in muscle mass always the result of all of the performance-enhancing drugs that we know about today? Also, what happens if someone was to take steroids and *not* work out? Would they end up looking like a tubby, 47 year-old ex-athlete? Before you ask, yes, I am willing to be tested every day! :D:

gosox41
03-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
there may be a gag on mlb by bud, but there's no removin the asterisk category, 98% of baseball fans everywhere are moving barry and sammy and pizza face macguire to now the juice has hit the fan

remember roger maris' asterisk for so many years , welll it be nothing compared to the steroid vs non-steroid MLB records double set of books

not like everyone hasn't been doing it the last 50 years, if you include collegiate and pro interior linemen since the 60s, but baseball records that stood for decades and get shattered by a fleet of the steroid boys derserve their own page of the record books for that more entertaining chemically induced species of the new millineum, the advanced man of 2001

Tood bad there's no solid proof that Sammy takes steroids (other then his bicep). It would be nice if he had some connection to the guy Bonds did or something.

I want to see Sammy's oversized head explode with all the pressuure he'll be under if he gets nailed for steroid use.

Bob

StepsInSC
03-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by davenicholson
Van Slyke stated in the article that we know, for example, that Randy Johnson is not taking steroids. Do we?

Well Randy doesn't exactly look like an athlete. He doesn't have much muscle mass, and he doesn't seem to have very low body fat, both of which are advantages of steroids. So yea no one will be accusing him of roiding.

Not to single Johnson nor anyone else out, but is a King Kong increase in muscle mass always the result of all of the performance-enhancing drugs that we know about today?

No, not at all. I think it's much easier to gain and/or lose quality weight than the general public in America (55% of which is overweight) thinks. Especially when you have money to throw at a dietician and trainer to tell you what to do and what to eat. Its quite possible to gain 1lb per week or more of solid muscle w/ minimal fat gains if you eat cleanly. So I definitely havn't been one to jump the gun on calling some these guys roid heads. McGwire especially, IIRC he was notoriously disciplined w/ his workout, diet, and at that time legal supplements (androstenedione, which wasn't legal in the NFL but was in the MLB).

Also, what happens if someone was to take steroids and *not* work out?

I think they would gain a lot of fat if they were taking bulking roids but not lifting, probably a LOT of fat. The normal side effects would apply too, i.e. acne, testicular atrophy, male pattern baldness, irritability, prostate enlargement, impotence, inhibition of testicular function, and a whole slew of other yummy things.

I guess I'm naive, I had been giving these guys the benefit of the doubt. But now, its hard to say. I still think Giambi doesn't look that much smaller, he looks the same muscle wise but just that he lost a lot of fat during the offseason. Sheff, he never seemed that huge to me. But Bonds, well he sure always has been irritable, hasn't he? :D: