PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Smith

A. Cavatica
03-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Bobby Smith is starting at second tomorrow against the D-Backs.

I'd never heard of Bobby Smith before finding this out, but his numbers from Columbus look pretty good:

BATTERS AVG G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI SH SF HP BB IB SO SB CS DP SLG OBP 1B 2B 3B SS OF C E
Smith, Bobby .282 119 458 68 129 199 36 5 8 69 5 7 5 40 0 74 4 4 17 .434 .341 2 6 6 54 42 0 13

Could he be a solid, underrated player like Chris Singleton, who we likewise plucked from the Yankees after he'd been blocked for a few years? Singleton was behind Bernie Williams, Smith was apparently behind Jeter and/or Soriano. (I wonder if the Yankees wish they had him back...)

beckett21
03-03-2004, 10:35 PM
IIRC, he started out highly touted with the D-Rays at one time at 3B. Didn't know he was still playing. He's with us?

Don't hold your breath, but maybe he is a late bloomer. More likely a career minor leaguer if it's the guy I am thinking of.

batmanZoSo
03-03-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by beckett21
IIRC, he started out highly touted with the D-Rays at one time at 3B. Didn't know he was still playing. He's with us?

Don't hold your breath, but maybe he is a late bloomer. More likely a career minor leaguer if it's the guy I am thinking of.

We got a guy who moved to second when he got older?

fuzzy_patters
03-03-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by beckett21

It is the same guy. He was a teammate of Ozzie Guillen's when Ozzie played for Tampa Bay in 2000.

Huisj
03-03-2004, 11:10 PM
i remember him most for two things. he used to have bleached blond hair, and it looked awful like he was ill or something. And then one time when he was with TB i think he totally ran over robert fick when fick was playing first base. it was a big nasty collision and i think he got hurt some from it.

A. Cavatica
03-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Too bad it's the same guy. I looked him up at baseball-reference.com, and it listed the ten most similar batters...Chris Snopek was fifth on that list.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-03-2004, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Too bad it's the same guy. I looked him up at baseball-reference.com, and it listed the ten most similar batters...Chris Snopek was fifth on that list.

Hey, Chris Snopek was the last White Sox SS to bat cleanup. That has to mean something? Doesn't it? :)