PDA

View Full Version : Bo Jackson at ST


AOEllis
03-03-2004, 08:16 PM
On MLB.com's photo gallery is shows Bo Jackson with Kenny Williams watching Kelly Wunsch.

Former White Sox great Bo Jackson (left) and GM Ken Williams watch pitchers during Jackson's visit to workouts at the team's Spring Training facility in Tucson, Ariz. (Charles Rex Arbogast/AP)

mike squires
03-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Uh oh, Bo as new pitching coach? :D: I wish Bo was a permanent member of the coaching staff. Does he do things with KC or other teams? That's great that he spends some of his time with us. I know he's been at ST before.

depy48
03-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Bo knows everything

Palehose13
03-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Uh oh, Bo as new pitching coach? :D: I wish Bo was a permanent member of the coaching staff. Does he do things with KC or other teams? That's great that he spends some of his time with us. I know he's been at ST before.
Last that I heard, Bo lives in the Chicago area and owns a Harley shop in the Southwest burbs. IMO, he may be loyal to the Sox for giving him the chance to rehab and make a comeback.

Realist
03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Ozzie Guillen
Greg Walker
Joey Cora
La Marr Hoyt
Harold Baines
Bo Jackson

Hmmmm.... lemme know when Skip Pitlock shows up. :smile:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pitlosk01.shtml

Deadguy
03-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
Last that I heard, Bo lives in the Chicago area and owns a Harley shop in the Southwest burbs. IMO, he may be loyal to the Sox for giving him the chance to rehab and make a comeback.

I remember seeing him interviewed during halftime of a Monday Night Football Game last fall, and he was being interviewed from his home in South Dakota. Did he just recently move to the Chicago area?

mike squires
03-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Realist
Ozzie Guillen
Greg Walker
Joey Cora
La Marr Hoyt
Harold Baines
Bo Jackson

Hmmmm.... lemme know when Skip Pitlock shows up. :smile:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/pitlosk01.shtml

Scotty Fletcher would look good on that list as a first base coach. But I know he has that college gig going.

Palehose13
03-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I remember seeing him interviewed during halftime of a Monday Night Football Game last fall, and he was being interviewed from his home in South Dakota. Did he just recently move to the Chicago area?
I have no idea. I know that he lived in the Chicago area a few years ago. Maybe he has more than one house. :?:

sas1974
03-03-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Palehose13
I have no idea. I know that he lived in the Chicago area a few years ago. Maybe he has more than one house. :?:

He used to(possibly still does) live in Burr Ridge.

Palehose13
03-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by sas1974
He used to(possibly still does) live in Burr Ridge.
Yup...that is what I knew. My mom used to work at his bank.

Realist
03-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Scotty Fletcher would look good on that list as a first base coach. But I know he has that college gig going.

Yes he would.

Hey!! What about your namesake? If I remember right, he was a pretty heads up player.

A. Cavatica
03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by AOEllis
Former White Sox great Bo Jackson

Former White Sox great? No.

A. Cavatica
03-03-2004, 10:08 PM
This is really irritating me!

Former White Sox role player, yes.

Former great athlete who made a courageous, partially successful rehabilitation attempt with the White Sox, yes.

Former White Sox media icon, yes.

Former White Sox great, no. I mean if Bo was a White Sox great then Mike Deveraux was a White Sox great.

Brian26
03-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Former White Sox great, no. I mean if Bo was a White Sox great then Mike Deveraux was a White Sox great.

Did Deveraux his a 10,000 ft high home run to clinch the division in 1993 and then run around the outfield waving a sock with the fans? Bo's got something on Deveraux.

A. Cavatica
03-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Bo had 355 at-bats with the Sox, batted .230, 19 HR, 59 RBI. He did have a big moment or two.

Devereaux had 333 at-bats with the Sox, batted .306, 10 HR, 55 RBI. What's funny is he was traded to Atlanta and was the NLCS MVP that year...

mantis1212
03-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
This is really irritating me!

Former White Sox role player, yes.

Former great athlete who made a courageous, partially successful rehabilitation attempt with the White Sox, yes.

Former White Sox media icon, yes.

Former White Sox great, no. I mean if Bo was a White Sox great then Mike Deveraux was a White Sox great.

I say Bo Jackson WAS a Sox great! ...because of the great memories he gave us. Coming back to baseball with a plastic hip was great, so was that HR in the '93 clincher that GOT DARK because it rose above the lights, then cleared the fence by about 3 feet!

I was at that game by the way, great memory- I still remember Ellis Burks catching the final out. Maybe I'm a little biased

A. Cavatica
03-03-2004, 11:04 PM
He wasn't so great in the '93 playoffs.

monkeypants
03-04-2004, 12:09 AM
Bo still lives in the the western 'burbs. He occasionally comes into the store that I work at in Willowbrook.

ode to veeck
03-04-2004, 12:18 AM
I thought Bo owned a rib joint in Austin

owensmouth
03-04-2004, 01:59 AM
He still lives in the suburbs. I remmber reading an article a few weeks ago about him having had jury duty in DuPage County.

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by mantis1212
I say Bo Jackson WAS a Sox great! ...because of the great memories he gave us. Coming back to baseball with a plastic hip was great, so was that HR in the '93 clincher that GOT DARK because it rose above the lights, then cleared the fence by about 3 feet!
Agreed. Jackson's too-brief time with the Sox made for great memories. (I wonder if any of the examples will make it into Helpingstine's next book...)

mike squires
03-04-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Realist
Yes he would.

Hey!! What about your namesake? If I remember right, he was a pretty heads up player.

Spanky wasn't much with the stick but could go get them in the field. But he was pretty sound defensivly. Mike was with the Whitesox in the early 90's, I believe as a bullpen coach. He does scouting for St. Louis at the moment. Saw him at the 83 reunion over the summer and spoke to him briefly. Yeah, taht would be nice to get him back as well.

mrwag
03-04-2004, 08:22 AM
I want to see Fisk back in black and silver. Now he is a REAL Sox Great.

Baby Fisk
03-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
I want to see Fisk back in black and silver. Now he is a REAL Sox Great.
NO ARGUMENTS HERE! If Fisk showed up at ST back in the old unie, it would blow my overexcitable mind.

I found a classic Fisk story in a new book that's just been published. I'll start a new thread so we can all revel in the glory of Pudge. Look for it.