PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie Guillen is quite comical

hillbilly
03-03-2004, 08:02 PM
Story from the intrasquad game today, 3/3/04. A young guy who probably doesnt figure to make the team is up to bat (don't know the name and its not important anyway). He works the count to 3-2. 3-2 fastball straight down the stovepipe, he watches it go by. Ozzie starts yelling, "What the **** was that; how the **** does that happen; who the **** found this kid?" I feel bad for the kid, but i found this story quite funny, and its also a good sign that Ozzie isn't going to allow his players any leeway when it comes to how a major leaguer should play the game. There's no more growing period. Either you get the job done or you don't.

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-03-2004, 08:21 PM
I wonder who that kid is! Ozzie seems like a funny guy and that is a good thing. Jerry Manuel was only funny because he was so bad at trying to act funny!

mike squires
03-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Jerry would have given him a book on yoga and asked for a book report the next day.

sas1974
03-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Good to see the days of "The Kids Can Play" are over!

Viva Magglio
03-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by mike squires
Jerry would have given him a book on yoga and asked for a book report the next day.

No, Jerry would have bought him ice cream and penciled his name in the lineup every game.

:hitless
"Like moi???"

Hangar18
03-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Whereas Dusty Baker, over a period of time ive Grown to dislike for his disingenuous personality, the Opposite can be said about Ozzie. This guys personality, real and in your face is
a Breath of Fresh Air in this town. Not since Ditkas early years as Coach, has there been a genuine leader/personality in this town. Man, Ozzie is really growing on me. Its incidents like that, that are going to make the SOX Good sometime soon.
way to go Ozz

SEALgep
03-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Whereas Dusty Baker, over a period of time ive Grown to dislike for his disingenuous personality, the Opposite can be said about Ozzie. This guys personality, real and in your face is
a Breath of Fresh Air in this town. Not since Ditkas early years as Coach, has there been a genuine leader/personality in this town. Man, Ozzie is really growing on me. Its incidents like that, that are going to make the SOX Good sometime soon.
way to go Ozz And he didn't dodge the steroid issue. He met it head on and said they are bad for the game and need to be eliminated. Guillen is the bomb, and at the very least, we will know exactly where are club stands at all times- with no sugar coat.

WSox8404
03-04-2004, 04:09 PM
I am glad the Kids Can Play thing is finally over. Now that their manager is almost their age I think they will realize they are adults and play as such.

faneidde
03-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Now that he's not talking about having Frank and Mags bunt, I'm on board. I always like Ozzie as a player too.

Tekijawa
03-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by hillbilly
Story from the intrasquad game today, 3/3/04. A young guy who probably doesnt figure to make the team is up to bat (don't know the name and its not important anyway). He works the count to 3-2. 3-2 fastball straight down the stovepipe, he watches it go by. Ozzie starts yelling, "What the **** was that; how the **** does that happen; who the **** found this kid?" I feel bad for the kid, but i found this story quite funny, and its also a good sign that Ozzie isn't going to allow his players any leeway when it comes to how a major leaguer should play the game. There's no more growing period. Either you get the job done or you don't.

they left this part of the Article...

Later Willie Harris was found crying in the locker room underneith the trainers table mumbling and shaking.. "I thhhhhhought he liked me, I thought he liked me!"

minastirith67
03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

Later Willie Harris was found crying in the locker room underneith the trainers table mumbling and shaking.. "I thhhhhhought he liked me, I thought he liked me!"

LOL!!!!!!!

Sheer brilliance...

surfdudes
03-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Tekijawa

Funny. Just plain funny.

What's the over under for the number of games Ozzie gets tossed out of this year?

Lip Man 1
03-04-2004, 07:20 PM
WSox says: "I am glad the Kids Can Play thing is finally over."

With Uncle Jerry as owner, I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Lip

SEALgep
03-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
WSox says: "I am glad the Kids Can Play thing is finally over."

With Uncle Jerry as owner, I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Lip Essentially you are betting the farm. The farm system that is. Oh I am good. Lol. Or rather not lol. :D:

ode to veeck
03-04-2004, 08:44 PM
JM was only funny when you got tired of crying and had to do something else for a change

ode to veeck
03-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Not since Ditkas early years as Coach, has there been a genuine leader/personality in this town. Man, Ozzie is really growing on me. Its incidents like that, that are going to make the SOX Good sometime soon.

I'll never forget the time Ditka called timeout, McMahon goes to the sidelines for about 1 sec of Didtka's screaming, then raises his hands in frustration and goes back to spend the rest of the TO in the huddle---should be interesting to see the equivalent of this in a baseball games with Ozzie

guillen4life13
03-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck
I'll never forget the time Ditka called timeout, McMahon goes to the sidelines for about 1 sec of Didtka's screaming, then raises his hands in frustration and goes back to spend the rest of the TO in the huddle---should be interesting to see the equivalent of this in a baseball games with Ozzie

What about when Ditka called timeout to blast Harbaugh, and Harbaugh wouldn't go to the sidelines because he was so afraid. Classic, eh?

Oh yeah, and I would say there's been a pretty huge leader since Ditka.

The Zen Master comes to mind immediately.

voodoochile
03-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ode to veeck

Wasn't that the game clinching TD against the Rams in the NFC championship? 2nd and 9 and Ditka wanted a draw. McMahon didn't wait to audible, he just called the slant to McKinnon in the huddle and presto - TD.

voodoochile
03-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
What about when Ditka called timeout to blast Harbaugh, and Harbaugh wouldn't go to the sidelines because he was so afraid. Classic, eh?

Oh yeah, and I would say there's been a pretty huge leader since Ditka.

The Zen Master comes to mind immediately.

Can you picture what would have happened if Pippen had played for Ditka and refused to go back into that playoff game for the final 1.8 seconds?