PDA

View Full Version : Sox / MLB Audio Spring Games

Lip Man 1
03-03-2004, 01:37 PM
Gang just so you know.....

I clicked on MLB.com for the audio site to start listening to spring training games today.

In the past four / five years all spring games have always been free to listeners as a way of getting them to purchase the MLB audio package.....not anymore.

If you live out of the Sox Chicago area and want to catch the spring games you'll need to buy the package. It costs 15 bucks and if I read it correctly, you get all games from all teams. last year you could just buy the team of your choice for 10 bucks.

Such is life.....

Lip

Medford Bobby
03-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Yea I noticed that too....it was great idea to get you hooked on the spring games and once the season starts, either pay up or miss the games.....though it seems the audio price was 19.95 last year ,so 14.95 seems cheap. I'm waiting for an Opening Day special and get it for 9.95...or maybe a SI 8 issue free tie-in special......right now my credit card is saying not now, maybe later.. :whiner:

lowesox
03-03-2004, 02:02 PM
What a piss off! I remember when you could go onto the AM1000 website and listen free. And every body benefited: the fans got free baseball, the teams got free exposure (or you could even call it advertising), and the station got money for advertising.

This is the kind of thing that really annoys me about baseball - the greed. I wonder if the balance sheet that says the sox are losing money includes the check they'd get for MLB audio??

And this is especially frustrating since I've had several nights where MLB audio 'wasn't available'. Do you get refunded in that instance? Of course not.

They're not getting a penny from me this year. In fact, I wish I'd never paid for it in the past either.

doublem23
03-03-2004, 02:04 PM
****heads... Dammit, I don't want to buy the package because over summer I'll be home in Chicago so it'll be completely useless, but I want to listen to the spring training games while I'm here in Peoria.

Brian26
03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
Is the $15 for just Spring Training, or the entire year? When you think about it, 15 bucks isn't bad to basically have free radio broadcasts of every major league team for the season (if I'm interpreting this deal correctly). Granted, in the age of directv and espn, you get tons and tons of games on television, but it's certainly kinda cool to know that you could always catch a west coast game or late game out East while surfing the web. I assume these are the actual home broadcasts with the team's announcers? It's certainly not as cool as if it were free, but it's not a terrible option when you would otherwise never have access to those games. I remember being a kid and trying to tune in the Reds games on 700 WLW or the Rangers games (I think 750 AM) at night on my pocket radio. I even remember pulling in WSB out of Atlanta a few times to hear the Braves games. Obviously, never would have been able to pick up anything west of the rockies in those days...

lowesox
03-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Actually for about 3-4 years before the MLB started prostituting baseball, most teams had sites where you could listen for free. In fact, I never found one that didn't. I used to always listen to the home announcers regardless of who the sox were playing just to get a feel for what baseball was like in that city. But then MLB swooped down and made sure that no teams broadcast for free after they started MLB audio.

Sure, $15 isn't a lot to pay - but this is something that should be free - especially spring training. And especially since the service is something you can't always count on working.

ewokpelts
03-03-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Actually for about 3-4 years before the MLB started prostituting baseball, most teams had sites where you could listen for free. In fact, I never found one that didn't. I used to always listen to the home announcers regardless of who the sox were playing just to get a feel for what baseball was like in that city. But then MLB swooped down and made sure that no teams broadcast for free after they started MLB audio.

Sure, $15 isn't a lot to pay - but this is something that should be free - especially spring training. And especially since the service is something you can't always count on working.

yeah...but when you pay, more of that money goes back to teh sox via revune sharing...hopefully they put it to good use
Gene

rahulsekhar
03-03-2004, 03:01 PM

Not to be overly capitalist, but all MLB is doing is reflecting what's happening to online media everywhere. There is little to no free sports content. Anything with any exclusivity is coming along with a fee or as part of a package. ESPN "Insider" is another example of this. A lot of this stuff was previously free to test interest and increase "viewership". As it's become more mainstream and increased in usage, it's becoming a revenue stream. Even the Cubune online makes you register to get articles - think subscription-based stuff is far behind? It's already happening for their "Bears Extra"!

I may be wrong, but I don't thnk the NFL or NBA offer their broadcasts for free either. In fact I think the NBA charges something like $10/mo, making MLB's package look like a great deal.

If MLB were offering it for free, they'd be an outlier. I'd obviously like that (since I'm as cheap as the next guy), but I certainly dont' expect it or blame them for doing exactly the same thing as most other content providers.

koch44
03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by ewokpelts
yeah...but when you pay, more of that money goes back to teh sox via revune sharing...hopefully they put it to good use
Gene

They really put it to good use this offseason, didn't they!

poorme
03-03-2004, 03:35 PM
It should be a marketing freebie. Like a refridgerator magnet schedule.

Lip Man 1
03-03-2004, 06:55 PM
The only league that still lets fans listen to their games for free is the NHL. MLB, NFL and NBA all charge now for the right to listen.

The 15 dollars by the way is for the whole season and it was 20 bucks last year for the entire season / every team or 15 bucks for just a single club.

Lip

Chisox_cali
03-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Well I was planning on getting MLB.TV again this season anyway, so I guess I'll just purchase it now instead of later on this month, so I can listen to the Spring games

lowesox
03-03-2004, 07:41 PM
WEre you happy with MLB TV? Did they have all the games? Was it dependable, or was the service always down?

That's something I think is fair to pay for.

Rocklive99
03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
I'm not going to spend the money since I already spent it on the Extra Innings Package.

So, ESPN 1000 is not even airing the games?

Chisox_cali
03-03-2004, 07:56 PM
WEre you happy with MLB TV? Did they have all the games? Was it dependable, or was the service always down?

That's something I think is fair to pay for.

I was very happy with MLB.TV last season, they have a lot of the Sox games except when they're on WCIU or WGN, but I have WGN so that's Okay. Ocasionally you're stuck with the other teams broadcast which kinda sucks.

The feed is surprisingly good if you have DSL, it rarely cuts out, and even if it does it's only for a few seconds, and only a few times did I have real problems (couldn't sign in, game wouldn't load)

I reccomend it.

pudge
03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

The feed is surprisingly good if you have DSL, it rarely cuts out, and even if it does it's only for a few seconds, and only a few times did I have real problems (couldn't sign in, game wouldn't load)

I reccomend it.

If you can get the MLB package on Cable or Directv, I'd recommend that over MLB.tv... the MLB.tv footage is pretty compressed, which means you don't get a super-clear picture... I found it hard to keep track of the ball... but it's not a bad alternative if you can't get one of the TV packages (it also may be much cheaper, I'm not sure).

Chisox_cali
03-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by pudge
If you can get the MLB package on Cable or Directv, I'd recommend that over MLB.tv... the MLB.tv footage is pretty compressed, which means you don't get a super-clear picture... I found it hard to keep track of the ball... but it's not a bad alternative if you can't get one of the TV packages (it also may be much cheaper, I'm not sure).

Long story, but I can't get a baseball package on my "cable" system, so MLB.TV is my only option.