PDA

View Full Version : Twins drive me nuts!

Irishsox1
03-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Off the Sox website, I watched all the highlights from the Twins vs. Sox games last year. It is amazing how many times the White Sox made really bad fielding errors, from not hitting the cuttoff man, to flat out bad throws. The fundementals against the Twins all season were laughable. Watching these highlights made me so pissed off!! On the flip side, the Twins made every homerun robbing catch, slapped the ball in the gaps with men on and got the big strike out when they needed it. Yet, when it comes to the Yankees, the big bad Twins roll over every time. The Twins have the Sox number and the only way to end it is to play smart baseball, keep attacking mixed in with solid pitching. Hopefully that is what Ozzie brings to the table. If that doesn't work, then I recommend hitting Torri Hunter in the knee with a fastball.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/multimedia/index.jsp?c_id=cws

jackbrohamer
03-03-2004, 12:10 PM
I blame Manuel for a lot of that. Whenever the Sox were in a must-win situation (or, a this-would-really-help-our-chances situation) the players appeared tense and the team played poorly. In 2001, the Twinkies absolutely humiliated the Sox, I think they were something like 14-4 against them. Last year the Twinkies knocked the Sox out of the race the second week in September in a series where the Sox players looked like they were playing with both hands around their throats.

Lip Man 1
03-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Did you notice Ozzie's comments after Tuesday's intersquad game?

He was upset at two Sox players who tried to stretch doubles into triples off Rauch and got thrown out and he commented on the fact that hitters weren't able to move runners over.

Maybe it's not the manager but stupid, selfish players...

Lip

Palehose13
03-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

He was upset at two Sox players who tried to stretch doubles into triples off Rauch and got thrown out and he commented on the fact that hitters weren't able to move runners over.

Lip
Or maybe the players are used to Manuel's style of managing which allowed that...

Not saying that IS the reason, just throwing out another reasonable expalnation.

WinningUgly!
03-03-2004, 01:32 PM

Lip

At least Ozzie gets upset & actually comments about his players' mistakes. Manuel, assuming he would have noticed the mistakes, would have just shrugged his shoulders & forgot about it.

minastirith67
03-03-2004, 01:46 PM
I, too, was very very frustrated with the lack of Sox success against Minnesota. We should have swept the Twins in that 4-game series at Comiskey and should have at least won 2/3 at the Metrodome shortly thereafter. Those games haunt me til this day. I can only hope that this season can wipe away the pain.

Jerko
03-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
At least Ozzie gets upset & actually comments about his players' mistakes. Manuel, assuming he would have noticed the mistakes, would have just shrugged his shoulders & forgot about it.

He wouldn't have forgotten about it; he would have noted the one or two times that the Yankees made the same mistake and say "well, it happens to everyone, nothing to worry about"

Brian26
03-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by minastirith67
We should have swept the Twins in that 4-game series at Comiskey and should have at least won 2/3 at the Metrodome shortly thereafter. Those games haunt me til this day

I often wake up at night in a cold sweat, only to see the ghostly image of Jose Paniagua at the foot of my bed...giving me the finger.

Iwritecode
03-03-2004, 02:18 PM

Lip

The two guys thrown out at third were Reed and another minor league guy (can't remember who now).

Remember that a lot of the batters were minor league guys facing major league pitching. From the sounds of it, they had trouble just hitting the ball in the first place much less hitting it to the right side to move runners along.

jackbrohamer
03-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
He wouldn't have forgotten about it; he would have noted the one or two times that the Yankees made the same mistake and say "well, it happens to everyone, nothing to worry about"

Manual would also make his comments to reporters, instead of directly to the players he was talking about

OEO Magglio
03-03-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The two guys thrown out at third were Reed and another minor league guy (can't remember who now).

Remember that a lot of the batters were minor league guys facing major league pitching. From the sounds of it, they had trouble just hitting the ball in the first place much less hitting it to the right side to move runners along.
The other guy was Michael Rivera, and I agree with what you said, these our minor league guys, hopefully our major leaguers won't make these same mistakes.