PDA

View Full Version : Marlins cut Josh Beckett's pay.

Dadawg_77
03-03-2004, 08:09 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1749561

Florida Marlins: Josh Beckett's reward for a season capped by the World Series MVP award was a 12.5 percent pay cut.

The Marlins renewed the pitcher's contract Tuesday for $1,509,375, the lowest the team could offer under the collective bargaining agreement. Last year, Beckett made $1,725,000.

"Josh understands it's business and is simply looking forward to playing baseball and having a great season," said his agent, Mike Moye.

Despite the pay cut, he'll be among the highest-paid players with less than three years' experience. Beckett becomes eligible for arbitration after this season.

Wow there is someone out there who handles young players contracts worse then the Sox.

SSN721
03-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Its obvious they are very high on this kid and want to keep him. If only the Sox were this tactful and smart dealing with their personnel.

voodoochile
03-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Maybe they just figure they will be outbid for him anyway come FA, so why bother?

On the other hand, maybe they are still working on a long term contract and this is temporary. They may be trying to pressure him into signing a long term deal too by lowballing the renewal. Heck, Burly-Mon would have been ecstatic to see those kind of numbers during renewal period. He was getting under 400K/year.

jackbrohamer
03-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Good to see other teams buying into the Jerry Reinsdorf Incentive Model

beckett21
03-03-2004, 10:49 AM
The whole thing is a joke. He is eligible for arbitration next season. They will pay. He is taking it like a pro.

Rex Hudler
03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Maybe they just figure they will be outbid for him anyway come FA, so why bother?

On the other hand, maybe they are still working on a long term contract and this is temporary. They may be trying to pressure him into signing a long term deal too by lowballing the renewal. Heck, Burly-Mon would have been ecstatic to see those kind of numbers during renewal period. He was getting under 400K/year.

This may or may not make it easier to swallow for some, but the reason he was paid so much last year was he originally signed a Major League contract that just ended.

Based on his years of service, he was making more last year than he would have had he gone through the normal progression. For example, he and Buehrle are on the same track. Buehrle is making more this year, but he only made $350k or so last year, while Beckett made $1.75 million.

Add up what Buehrle and Beckett are making over this year and last year combined and the numbers are about the same. The idea of him having to take a pay cut after his success last year is tough to swallow, but my guess is that he knew it was coming and this was not a surprise.

SEALgep
03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by beckett21
The whole thing is a joke. He is eligible for arbitration next season. They will pay. He is taking it like a pro. Don't you mean you're taking it like a pro? :smile:

beckett21
03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by SEALgep
Don't you mean you're taking it like a pro? :smile:

Yeah...don't blow my cover... :D:

Baby Fisk
03-03-2004, 11:01 AM
Good to see Becket21 taking it so well.

If I were a Marlin fan, would I be outraged? Hell yeah, because if I'm a Marlin fan, I've seen this pattern play itself out before. But then I'd take a step back and look at those FLORIDA MARLINS WORLD CHAMPIONS 97 and FLORIDA MARLINS WORLD CHAMPIONS 03 ballcaps I own and it wouldn't be so bad. It could be worse...I could be one of those bitter, unrequited Sox fans...how can they live with themselves?... :D: