PDA

View Full Version : Fox loves other team

Hangar18
03-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Just watched them say "coming up in sports.......cubs and sox reports from spring training!" Only to see a nice Fluff Piece
on alex gonzalez. "and in sox camp, sox sign damaso marte for
3 years" Eleven Words is all they could come up with for a team in the 3rd largest market? The problem with a Washed Up guy like Billy Corgan making sox lyrics that say "and noone cares about the SOX" is the MEdia and Mike Kiley then Believe it.
Love the coverage in this town

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-02-2004, 09:59 PM
I think I'd rather hear about Marte than Alex Gonzalez if he was on the Sox. :)

kittle42
03-02-2004, 10:50 PM
You know, as much as I agree with you, Henry, you really do have to stop getting so worked up about this. Nothing's going to change until our team wins something big - and even then it might not change.

soxnut
03-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
You know, as much as I agree with you, Henry, you really do have to stop getting so worked up about this. Nothing's going to change until our team wins something big - and even then it might not change.

Amen

quade36
03-02-2004, 11:58 PM
who cares... look at it this way if the Sox win their division and make the playoffs I am sure the media will give them attention. Especially if the cubs don't. Who cares now. Lets just enjoy spring training.

pudge
03-02-2004, 11:58 PM
The problem is, hangar makes some accusations without knowledge of how certain parts of the media industry work... for example, the TV station that aired the Alex Gonzalez fluff piece undoubtedly had that decided upon early in the day, and when the Marte news broke later in the day, it was too late to come up with a feature on it. The local news does not have the resources of ESPN, they can't throw together a package on a whim, they have to plan things out.

Now, I love hangar and we all know there's a bias, but the media has always sucked, and chicago isn't the only place it sucks, so you gotta take everything with a grain of salt.

Frater Perdurabo
03-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Preach on, Hangar. Keep being the squeaky wheel, the irritating grain of sand in the media whore's Cubbie blue vaseline. Nothing will change unless more folks get more Hangar-like and tell the truth.

maurice
03-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by pudge
the TV station that aired the Alex Gonzalez fluff piece undoubtedly had that decided upon early in the day, and when the Marte news broke later in the day, it was too late to come up with a feature on it.

That doesn't explain why they prepared a feature on Gonzalez but didn't prepare one on a Sox player and then announce the Marte signing "in other news." In this case, Hangar's "accusations" are right on the mark.

JC456
03-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by maurice
That doesn't explain why they prepared a feature on Gonzalez but didn't prepare one on a Sox player and then announce the Marte signing "in other news." In this case, Hangar's "accusations" are right on the mark.

Yes, exactly!

SoxFan76
03-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Yeah, it's starting to get out of hand. Gonzalez isn't even good! Marte is one of the top relievers in baseball and all the man gets is "and in other news...."

Instead there's a cute little story on the guy who basically ruined any World Series chances for the Flubbies. (among other things)

pudge
03-03-2004, 03:57 PM

Hmmmm... let's see..... Gonzalez was involved in one of the most infamous plays of the 2003 season... makes sense to me... If you're asking why they didn't have TWO features in one night, it's because no local sports newscast in the country has time for two features - sports has gotten the shaft on local news because people rely on ESPN, cable, internet, etc. It's been proven that the amount of airtime dedicated to sports in local news casts has continually shrunk over the past 10 years.

As for Marte's singing being an "afterthought" - it's very common in local news to lead with your feature package. If I was making the call in that newsroom, I would not have thought Marte's signing was important enough to put first - the casual news-watcher has NO IDEA who a middle reliever is, Cubs or Sox.

Sorry guys, you're all being childish. You obviously have no idea who the local news is targeted for. Diehard sports junkies who care about Damaso Marte are NOT the main target.

maurice
03-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Hmmmm... let's see..... Gonzalez was involved in one of the most infamous plays of the 2003 season....

And since that game hasn't been covered AT ALL in the last six months, it requires a feature in March! You're right, it DOES make sense to report the same crap ad naseum instead of actual news.

We know EXACTLY how virtually all of the local news works: lazy and stupid. The cubs' Hawkins (aka middle reliever) signing was covered in depth. If they want to cover .230-hitting SSs on an equal basis, Valentin is always available.

It's absurdly childish to assume that local news does not impact what the casual sports fan knows. The arguments in favor of the local news always are rife with chicken-egg problems.

jackbrohamer
03-03-2004, 04:23 PM
[We know EXACTLY how virtually all of the local news works: lazy and stupid.

And when the biggest media company in town decides to give outlandishly favorable coverage to its own team, and consistently negative coverage to the Sox, the rest of the print and electronic media in town just follow along.

pudge
03-03-2004, 07:17 PM
[COLOR=teal]

It's absurdly childish to assume that local news does not impact what the casual sports fan knows. The arguments in favor of the local news always are rife with chicken-egg problems.

Do you seriously think a feature on Damaso Marte (or Jose Valentin, for that matter) wouldn't have casual sports fans changing the channel?

Look, I'm not defending local news, I'm just saying it's about as valuable as watching Entertainment Tonight. That's all it is, a half-hour fluff show.

I guarantee you if Jose Valentin made the error Alex Gonzalez did, he'd be the one covered ad nausem right now.

When the Sox get two innings away from the World Series, you can complain about lack of coverage if you want.

maurice
03-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Do you seriously think a feature on Damaso Marte (or Jose Valentin, for that matter) wouldn't have casual sports fans changing the channel?

No, I'm arguing that coverage re. Hawkins is approximately as relevant to a casual sports fan (i.e., not a cubs fan or a Sox fan) as coverage re. Marte. If a middle reliever is irrelevant to casual fans, as you contended, local media shouldn't cover Hawkins extensively and barely mention Marte, one of the top relievers in MLB.

Again, the point isn't that the cubs don't deserve some additional coverage right now; the point is that the cubs have gotten additional coverage even when they sucked and the Sox were actually quite good. That has impacted the casual sports fan in Chicago and, at least arguably, translated into additional revenue for the cubs and less revenue for the Sox. It makes sense that Sox fans would point out and try to eliminate the bias, even if the attempts ultimately are futile.

Look, I'm not defending local news, I'm just saying it's about as valuable as watching Entertainment Tonight. That's all it is, a half-hour fluff show.

Agreed. It's also damn depressing to watch the news portion (heavy on murders, rapes, fires, and deadly accidents) right before going to bed. However, extensive "entertainment" coverage of no-talent hacks like Jennifer Aniston and Julia Roberts certainly resulted in additional roles and revenue for those actresses to the detriment of women who actually can act. Particularly in the entertainment industry, additional positive publicity = cash. Free publicity through fluff "news" outlets is best of all.

I guarantee you if Jose Valentin made the error Alex Gonzalez did, he'd be the one covered ad nausem right now.

Sure, because it would require him to play for the cubs. :D:

Hangar18
03-04-2004, 05:26 PM

We know EXACTLY how virtually all of the local news works: lazy and stupid. The cubs' Hawkins (aka middle reliever) signing was covered in depth. If they want to cover .230-hitting SSs on an equal basis, Valentin is always available.

heh heh. right on