PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Says This Camp Is Different

Happy Felsch Fan
03-02-2004, 07:56 PM
The quote below is from Frank. Can anybody explain or read between the lines for me? What is Frank alluding to in terms of how camp was different under Manual?

“The difference with Ozzie is he took things back to my first eight years in Spring Training,” Thomas added. “We are doing the right things, getting it done and getting off the field. We spent too much time last year doing busy work in terms of stuff you do at the minor league level instead of in the Major Leagues.”

soltrain21
03-02-2004, 08:01 PM
Who knows, but sounds good to me. They were NEVER ready for the season underneath Jerry. Hopefully this means coming out like a ball of fire against KC and Yankees.

Did anyone go to a ST under Jerry's eye? I would really like to know what happen...

duke of dorwood
03-02-2004, 08:21 PM
People will realize what a schmuck Manual was real soon

sas1974
03-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
People will realize what a schmuck Manual was real soon

I certainly hope so! I think a lot of it is started to come out now. People seem to be hesitant to bad mouth JM, but it seems pretty clear that there is attitude so far.

Saracen
03-02-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm just happy to see some enthusiasm out of this team rather than the same old dullness of the last couple years.

lowesox
03-02-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Happy Felsch Fan
The quote below is from Frank. Can anybody explain or read between the lines for me? What is Frank alluding to in terms of how camp was different under Manual?

“The difference with Ozzie is he took things back to my first eight years in Spring Training,” Thomas added. “We are doing the right things, getting it done and getting off the field. We spent too much time last year doing busy work in terms of stuff you do at the minor league level instead of in the Major Leagues.”

SOunds to me like Frank thought Manuel made the guys do stuff for the sake of doing stuff.

REading that quote made me think something. Frank's always speaking analytically about Managers. I wonder if he's planning on being one one day.

WhiteSox = Life
03-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
SOunds to me like Frank thought Manuel made the guys do stuff for the sake of doing stuff.

REading that quote made me think something. Frank's always speaking analytically about Managers. I wonder if he's planning on being one one day.

If so, I'd hate to be an umpire with whom Frank decides to have a heated argument.

"Well, uh... Um, on second thought, I think it may have just been, a, er, ghost tag... Uh, yeah. Yeah. He's safe, actually. Sorry 'bout that, Hurt."

:hurt
"No problem."

ondafarm
03-02-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life
If so, I'd hate to be an umpire with whom Frank decides to have a heated argument.

"Well, uh... Um, on second thought, I think it may have just been, a, er, ghost tag... Uh, yeah. Yeah. He's safe, actually. Sorry 'bout that, Hurt."

"No problem."

I think that'd be a very poor umpire who'd be intimidated by even a physically very large, intimidating figure. Besides the only way I've ever seen umpires really intimidated is by showing the public how lousy they are. Why do you think they hate Questec?

BMAC3520
03-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Ozzie's camp is a lot different. He has changed the mindset of the entire organization. I'm only in minor league camp but it's a million times different down here so I can imagine it's the same at the big league level. Everything is very laid back and all about getting done what you have to get done. A lot less busy work as Frank put it. When Ozzie talked to us, the point he got across was we're here to come to the field, do our work and get the F@#$ out. So far he's great.

MRKARNO
03-02-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by BMAC3520
Ozzie's camp is a lot different. He has changed the mindset of the entire organization. I'm only in minor league camp but it's a million times different down here so I can imagine it's the same at the big league level. Everything is very laid back and all about getting done what you have to get done. A lot less busy work as Frank put it. When Ozzie talked to us, the point he got across was we're here to come to the field, do our work and get the F@#$ out. So far he's great.

That's awesome to hear! How does he differ from manuel from what you know?

Daver
03-02-2004, 10:53 PM

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

BMAC3520
03-02-2004, 10:55 PM
He is just a lot more laid back. Manuel seemed very quiet and reserved, almost as if he was just overseeing rather than setting things his way. Lots of busy work. Ozzie is constantly motoring around in his cart checking on people and drills and making sure things are getting done. But he's always cracking jokes and he has a mouth like a sailor. Much more upbeat attitude so far.

Deadguy
03-02-2004, 11:25 PM
He is just a lot more laid back. Manuel seemed very quiet and reserved, almost as if he was just overseeing rather than setting things his way. Lots of busy work. Ozzie is constantly motoring around in his cart checking on people and drills and making sure things are getting done. But he's always cracking jokes and he has a mouth like a sailor. Much more upbeat attitude so far.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight. Keep us updated on what's going on in Spring Training.

SSN721
03-03-2004, 06:04 AM

Sounds very good to me. And thanks for the ST info, please keep us updated. Good to get this kind of information. :cool:

hftrex
03-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Sounds like Frank is just going along to get along. If Ozzie really is better than JM, then he has to prove it by winning a division title or 2. Not just by getting his players to say nice things to the media.

hose
03-03-2004, 07:31 PM
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/2998193JG002_White_Sox022718_viewer.jpg

2 time MVP ( would of had another MVP if Giambi wasn't on the juice in 2000 )

oldcomiskey
03-03-2004, 08:09 PM

and then I woke up.....

soxfan26
03-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSox = Life

"No problem."

That's damn funny.

It is good to hear positive things from camp though. Now if we can just hear positive things about West Coast road trips...