PDA

View Full Version : Breakout pitcher?

spanishwhite
03-02-2004, 06:00 PM
I just bring this up because during the Kenny Williams era
there has been a pitcher who came out of nowhere (or a pitcher who exceeded expectations) to have an above average to phenomenal year.

01-Buehrle
02-Marte
03-Loaiza

I figure that one of the 500 pitchers that were invited to camp
will do the same this year.

I think with all the varying opinions on Schoenweis, Grilli, Rauch, Cotts, Garland, etc. that one of them is going to have a phenomenal year.

I feel that its going to come down to Schoenweis and Rauch with Grilli being a dark horse.

Mickster
03-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Let's hope it's Garland. We need a legit #3!

MRKARNO
03-02-2004, 06:13 PM
I want Buehrle and Loaiza to be as good as they have been in the past and I want to see Garland, Schoenweis and the 5th starter to be decent, proving a lot of quality so that the bullpen can take over because I believe that our bullpen has the potential to be one of the best in the American league. There's a good chance that Takatsu, Marte, Politte, Koch and Wright will form a great bullpen. All have shown more than just flashes of brilliance at times.

beckett21
03-02-2004, 06:43 PM
For as negative as I usually am, it does seem that although we have trouble developing our own young talent, we have a knack for making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Loaiza and Eldred come to mind right off the bat. It would be sweet to uncover another gem. Who knows? Maybe it really can happen.

Boy this spring fever must be getting to me! :)

I would love for Grilli to pan out, I think he has the potential. But my guess is that Schoenweis has the best chance to break out this season. Just a hunch. Garland should be stronger but I still worry about his makeup.

Not as sold on the pen, I am really down on Koch. Marte is the only guy to count on for anything at this point IMO, but Mr. Zero sure is intriguing...

munchman33
03-02-2004, 07:17 PM
Mark my words: Carlos Castillo will come out of nowhere and compete for the Cy Young.

Bucktown
03-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Rauch will be the man this year. You can book this.

I will be linking to this post in August with a great big "I told you so."

johnny174
03-03-2004, 12:28 AM
i'm so sick of waiting for garland. every night he pitches it's like what kind of night is he going to have.