PDA

View Full Version : Took a Drive past the Cell Today .....

Hangar18
03-02-2004, 05:00 PM
was running errands, getting coffee and the like. It was beautiful and sunny today, and heading East on 35th from
Halsted, I cant help but not how Excellent the Roof of Comiskey
is looking. The Ballparks Profile is Really Really looking great
with the Dark Charcoal colored ornamental steelwork, matching all the drab concrete now painted the same color scheme on all of the ramps. If the Sox Can Manage to Continue that theme
in the Outfield, Removing those O'hare Airport Sized, Impersonal Billboards from the Outfield, and put some miniature working buildings, in a retro look to Old Chicagos past, they would Really have a Charming BallPark again.

Brian26
03-02-2004, 05:45 PM
How much of the upper deck does the roof look like it's going to cover? I think people are expecting an Old Comiskey-like roof, and that doesn't appear to be happening.

Hangar18
03-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
How much of the upper deck does the roof look like it's going to cover? I think people are expecting an Old Comiskey-like roof, and that doesn't appear to be happening.

Your Very Right. It will only cover like 1/2 of the UpperDeck.
They never acknowledged the PITCH of the UD either

soxnut
03-02-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
was running errands, getting coffee and the like. It was beautiful and sunny today, and heading East on 35th from
with the Dark Charcoal colored ornamental steelwork, matching all the drab concrete now painted the same color scheme on all of the ramps. If the Sox Can Manage to Continue that theme
in the Outfield, Removing those O'hare Airport Sized, Impersonal Billboards from the Outfield, and put some miniature working buildings, in a retro look to Old Chicagos past, they would Really have a Charming BallPark again.

Hangar. If they do to the park, what you had in those renderings that you posted awhile back...I think most of the billboards you don't like, will be gone..... :smile:

soxnut
03-02-2004, 05:55 PM

If people just look at the photos, you can tell it'sthe same. According to the Sox, it's supposed to cover about 2/3 of the seats, which is still more than most parks cover nowadays. I think only the first 8 rows are not covered. It may look deceptive because of the pitch of the UD.

Randar68
03-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Your Very Right. It will only cover like 1/2 of the UpperDeck.
They never acknowledged the PITCH of the UD either

Well, the pitch of the UD in the United Center, New Soldier Field, or the ballpark in Arlington are never whined about. It's the distance from the entrance and the fact you had to go up 23 rows to the top and that it wasn't covered, so you felt like you were climbing a mountain. Most of those concerns are erased by chopping out 8 rows and adding a flat over-hanging roof, IMO.

I'm glad they didn't waste all the money on the UD, when all these other aesthetically pleasing and fun changes could be made...

soxnut
03-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Well, the pitch of the UD in the United Center, New Soldier Field, or the ballpark in Arlington are never whined about. It's the distance from the entrance and the fact you had to go up 23 rows to the top and that it wasn't covered, so you felt like you were climbing a mountain. Most of those concerns are erased by chopping out 8 rows and adding a flat over-hanging roof, IMO.

I'm glad they didn't waste all the money on the UD, when all these other aesthetically pleasing and fun changes could be made...

You're right :D:

duke of dorwood
03-02-2004, 09:24 PM
I wonder if the roof will cover half the UD. I like the way the light towers look. Like the ones at old Comiskey, but closer to the roof.

Randar68
03-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I wonder if the roof will cover half the UD. I like the way the light towers look. Like the ones at old Comiskey, but closer to the roof.

The sox have commented that the roof will shield the upper 2/3rds of the UD (all but 8 rows). The angle from the lower levels look pretty deceiving due to the pitch of the UD.

soxnut
03-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
The sox have commented that the roof will shield the upper 2/3rds of the UD (all but 8 rows). The angle from the lower levels look pretty deceiving due to the pitch of the UD.

Didn't I just say basically the same thing in a few posts before this :?: :?: :?: Thanks for reading Duke

IlliniSox
03-03-2004, 12:41 PM

I LOVE that idea of retro chicago-style buildings along the outfield concorse. Where do you get that idea?

Brian26
03-03-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
I LOVE that idea of retro chicago-style buildings along the outfield concorse. Where do you get that idea?

Old Chicago Amusement Park. :D: For anyone over the age of 30 who remembers that place.

soxnut
03-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Old Chicago Amusement Park. :D: For anyone over the age of 30 who remembers that place.

Also a few years ago at Soxfest at the ticket sales table, there was a handout showing the improvements for the 2002 Comiskey Park improvements. In the picture showing the new center field batters eye, on the consourse, they show buildings, similar to what is being discussed here.

And in one of the rendering that was on the HKS website before they pulled the pics, they show something similar to that as well.

Palehose13
03-03-2004, 03:36 PM
29 here and faintly remember "Old Chicago". Good times. :smile:

Hangar...you almost sound happy. What gives??? :D: