PDA

View Full Version : Dave DeBusschere Stumper - ANSWERED!

KingXerxes
03-02-2004, 02:57 PM
:hawk

"Yessir..........mercy..........I remember it like it was yesterday. Dave DeBusschere got his one and only hit - a single to centerfield - off of Bennie Daniels of the Washington Senators. The game was played on July 17, 1963 and won by the White Sox by a score of 8-2. The game was played in a snappy 2 hours and 37 minutes in front of a crowd of 10,217..........Mercy..........I will never forget the umpiring crew of Al Salerno, Ed Runge, Hank Soar and Bob Stewart giving Ol' Dave the business.......Yessir."

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B07170CHA1963.htm

KingXerxes
03-03-2004, 04:24 PM
I know a lot of us have been having some fun over the fact that Ozzie Guillen was caught - not once - but twice with the old hidden ball trick, but we weren't quite right.

It's been a little slow today, and I checked a couple of things out and came up with the fact that Ozzie Guillen didn't have the hidden ball trick pulled off twice - but three times in his career.

First Time - June 23, 1989 in the second game of a doubleheader, Greg Brock of Milwaukee pulled it on him.

Second Time - August 5, 1989 Dave Bergman of Detroit got him on first withit.

Third Time - May 13, 1991 Steve Lyons of Boston tagged him out at second.

Oh..........guess who else fell for this trick? On September 23, 1963, Pedro Gonzales, a second baseman for the New York Yankees, pulled it off on:

"Mercy.........I was hoping everybody would forget."

This shows what happens when a bored idiot sits in front of a computer all day trying to act busy.

poorme
03-03-2004, 04:28 PM
how did you find that, exactly? where do you look for "picked off base - hidden ball trick?"

also, can you find out how many times Guillen caught someone else with the hidden ball trick?

KingXerxes
03-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Go to www.retrosheet.org - it is an unbelievable website if you love the history of the game. They have a special section devoted to "The hidden ball trick". It does not appear as though Ozzie Guillen ever got anybody with the trick.

Baby Fisk
03-03-2004, 04:35 PM
:ozzie

"Hokay! Everybody stop talkin about this right now! Ju wanna talk about Steve Lyons? That man was loco! Pulling down his pants and flashin his cojones, what a loco! Okay? That's enough? Everybody! Stop! Talkin! About! This!"

KingXerxes
03-03-2004, 04:37 PM

"I agree................Mercy..................it's happened 200 times since the beginning of baseball..............it's fairly common."

poorme
03-03-2004, 04:37 PM
aha. I see it. There is the disclaimer:

Bill Deane with a lot of help has compiled a list of some of these plays, but it is far from complete. If you know of other hidden ball tricks not on the list or can fill in some of the details for the possibilities shown, please send us an e-mail with your information.

I swear Guillen caught some guys with it. Maybe I'm just imagining things.

KingXerxes
03-03-2004, 04:39 PM
It says below the verified ones that Guillen is rumored to have pulled it off on consecutive days but it gives the date as being anywhere from 1985 - 2000. I don't remember this happening, but perhaps somebody out there does. If you can verify it (Lip), make sure that retrosheet.org gets your info.

poorme
03-03-2004, 04:43 PM
I know Guillen TRIED to trick guys all the time. That's why he was a marked man himself.