PDA

View Full Version : Schott on Life Support

Viva Magglio
03-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Former Cincinnati Reds majority owner Marge Schott, who still owns a minority share of the Reds, is reported (http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sports/2888358/detail.html) to be on life support. Best known for her miserly ways and controversial social views, it appears that Schott's lifelong habit of smoking has caught up with her.

rmusacch
03-02-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Former Cincinnati Reds majority owner Marge Schott, who still owns a minority share of the Reds, is reported (http://www.channelcincinnati.com/sports/2888358/detail.html) to be on life support. Best known for her miserly ways and controversial social views, it appears that Schott's lifelong habit of smoking has caught up with her.

That is unfortunate. My dad had lung cancer in 1987 at age 36 and his dad died of it a year later at age 58.

kittle42
03-02-2004, 02:12 PM
She's dead.

I wonder if Hitler built the road upon which Marge Schott's casket will be carried.

SoxxoS
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
In my PR class, we learned not to speak favorably of Hitler in any context...Marge missed that memo.

crector
03-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Whatever else she may have said or done, she was a lot better owner than the clowns who have taken over from her and run the entire Reds team and organization into the ground.

Dick Allen
03-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Although I certainly would never wish death on anyone, save Osama, this woman was one of my least favorite people on the planet.

Mickster
03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dick Allen
Although I certainly would never wish death on anyone, save Osama, this woman was one of my least favorite people on the planet.

Well, Dick, you just got your wish!

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=margeschottdies&prov=st&type=lgns)

SaltyPretzel
03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
She's a saint compared to this guy:

Bobby Thigpen
03-02-2004, 03:32 PM
In my PR class, we learned not to speak favorably of Hitler in any context...Marge missed that memo.

I'm not saying that Hitler wa a great guy or anything, but doesn't it sound a little controlling or a little alarming that they can teach you what to and not to say? I was under the impression that we had freedom of speech in this country.

This is one of the things that irks me about this nation. It's fine that you can say whatever you want, just as long as it's PC. You know if Marge wanted to speak favorably about Hitler, that's her view, and under the Constitution she had the right to do so. I just don't understand how we believe you can say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't offend anyone. Sorry about the rant, but it pisses me off when we try to control people's thoughts and ideas because they may offend someone.

kittle42
03-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
I'm not saying that Hitler wa a great guy or anything..

He built the roads.

SSN721
03-02-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm not saying that Hitler wa a great guy or anything, but doesn't it sound a little controlling or a little alarming that they can teach you what to and not to say? I was under the impression that we had freedom of speech in this country.

This is one of the things that irks me about this nation. It's fine that you can say whatever you want, just as long as it's PC. You know if Marge wanted to speak favorably about Hitler, that's her view, and under the Constitution she had the right to do so. I just don't understand how we believe you can say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't offend anyone. Sorry about the rant, but it pisses me off when we try to control people's thoughts and ideas because they may offend someone.

I dont think it necessarily means people are trying to control thoughts and perceptions of people but rather that since people have the right to say whatever they like, people are also under those same rights to be offended if they want and say that they are offended. Doesnt mean either side is in the wrong, from a rights standpoint anyway. We obviously all have our opinions on right and wrong, some just have more tact on which opinions they share than others. :cool:

Viva Magglio
03-02-2004, 04:08 PM
The lovefest has already started in Cincinnati for Marge...

Link (http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2004/03/03/loc_schottmain.html)

Dadawg_77
03-02-2004, 04:26 PM

It was a PR class and PR is all about not offending anyone. Did the government arrest her for those comments? No. We all have a right to share our opinions with others, but we must also take responsibility for expressing those opinions. As anyone else can say anything and take some actions to confront what we just said.

SoxFan76
03-02-2004, 08:30 PM
This is kind of awkward. Sportscenter solemnly said Marge Schott was dead, then went on to talk about all the horrible things she has done. And these weren't minor things. I don't know, it's just a weird situation.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
This is kind of awkward. Sportscenter solemnly said Marge Schott was dead, then went on to talk about all the horrible things she has done. And these weren't minor things. I don't know, it's just a weird situation.

It makes you wonder how ESPN will handle the passing of Jerry Reinsdorf.

:giangreco
"At Channel 7 we're planning a 21 empty blue chair salute!"

Hangar18
03-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
It makes you wonder how ESPN will handle the passing of Jerry Reinsdorf.

:giangreco
"At Channel 7 we're planning a 21 empty blue chair salute!"

and you know what will happen when Jerry Reinsdorf Passes on Finally? Were going to CHEER and RUN THE STREETS Happily.
We'll see that as FINALLY having a chance at taking Advantage of situations and Going For It instead of blaming fans, and making us come to the park first, Before spending the $$$$$ which defies all Business Logic. Then the Media will paint the SOX fans as evil people, no good hoodlums, cheering for people dying.
Espn will cover this story, and Mariotti and Grobber will chime in and call us dark people.