PDA

View Full Version : Ballpark rennovations...

cbrownson13
03-02-2004, 02:12 AM
Does anyone know if they will be painting the seats? I would think since they painted the light supports and bars in the outfield and the new roof is also that charcoal color that they would match the seats to it.

Persoanlly, I think that would look awesome.

I heard a rumor a while ago that they were going to paint the concrete steps, but heard nothing about the seats. Anyone know?

batmanZoSo
03-02-2004, 02:19 AM
Painting the seats would be a waste of money. I'd rather they keep blue anyway cause it looks better than green would with the black. The only thing they could do to improve it is possibly make it less symmetrical by putting a second tier on one side of the outfield.

SSN721
03-02-2004, 07:18 AM
I think black seats in the summer heat would be murder. They would look cool, but be far too hot I think. I dont mind the blue, it seems to work with the rest of the park.

IlliniSox
03-02-2004, 10:11 AM
I dissagree. When I first looked at the new renderings on the Sox' site, I said to myself that changing the blue to green was all that was missing. -Just brings back memories of the old place and baseball in general.

IronFisk
03-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by IlliniSox
I dissagree. When I first looked at the new renderings on the Sox' site, I said to myself that changing the blue to green was all that was missing. -Just brings back memories of the old place and baseball in general.

Look, let's all get beyond this - there is no way this will happen, or should. Sure, green would look neater, and it isn't a case of Jerry-boy being cheap - blue simply looks good enough. This upper deck renovation is huge....but necessary. The seats are fine.

As I have mentioned in earlier posts about this topic, the money would be much better spent putting up brick facia wherever you see exposed concrete.

Hey, I wish they would've orientated the stadium towards downtown - some things just are too impractical.

joecrede
03-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Green seats, grand entrance, scrap the "HR porch" if need be, and the park would easily be among the top 10 in MLB.

Viva Magglio
03-02-2004, 11:36 AM
I'd like to see the blue seats, which are 13 years old, be replaced by the traditional green seats. But it would be costly. Each seat costs about $100.

IlliniSox
03-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
I'd like to see the blue seats, which are 13 years old, be replaced by the traditional green seats. But it would be costly. Each seat costs about $100.

So around $4.2 Million for the seats. ~15-20 Million for the porch and left field entrance. Does anyone have an estimate how much dough is left after the first waves of renovations?

***Of course, my first choice is throw it all in the Magglio collection plate.

batmanZoSo
03-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by IronFisk
Look, let's all get beyond this - there is no way this will happen, or should. Sure, green would look neater, and it isn't a case of Jerry-boy being cheap - blue simply looks good enough. This upper deck renovation is huge....but necessary. The seats are fine.

As I have mentioned in earlier posts about this topic, the money would be much better spent putting up brick facia wherever you see exposed concrete.

Hey, I wish they would've orientated the stadium towards downtown - some things just are too impractical.

Brick would be nice, especially the bullpen areas and the sports bar. Get rid of that concrete. And in larger areas, paint it charcoal.

Rush20
03-02-2004, 12:49 PM
I think the Phase V plan is still open to changes. If the HR deck in right field is added, they will need new seats. Considering the existing seats will be 15 years old, maybe US Cellular has plans to make the seats more interactive or at least a logo on the back to help sell their sponsorship. The point being, if they plan to add another 5000 plus seats in right field as part of the final phase, why not swap out all the seats at that time to a dark green. I thought the blue were OK with the white concrete, however I think dark green would look a lot better with the gray stained concrete.

I also agree with the previous post that the exposed concrete, especiallly behind home plate, should be bricked over. The concourse areas were improved drastically with that look.

Remember, New Comiskey "only" cost around $140M in 1990 - relatively cheap compared to later ballparks. Unfortunately, we got exactly what Jerry didn't pay for :smile: The basic core design isn't too bad, it just needs to be improved and made less sterile.

However, no excuse about facing it the WRONG WAY!!!! :?:

mantis1212
03-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Green seats, grand entrance, scrap the "HR porch" if need be, and the park would easily be among the top 10 in MLB.

You would scrap the HR porch just to have green seats? Honestly, why does anyone care what color the seats are??? We need the HR porch to make up for the lost seats in the UD.

hold2dibber
03-02-2004, 01:23 PM

I would much rather have the "HR porch" than either green seats or a grand entrance. The HR porch would give the park a little character, make for a more tangible way of judging long homers and would add a nice new good place to sit. Green seats would be a slight improvement, but I not worth the $, IMHO. I could not care less about a grand entrance - I care about what's in the park not on the outside.

joecrede
03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I would much rather have the "HR porch" than either green seats or a grand entrance. The HR porch would give the park a little character, make for a more tangible way of judging long homers and would add a nice new good place to sit. Green seats would be a slight improvement, but I not worth the $, IMHO. I could not care less about a grand entrance - I care about what's in the park not on the outside.

I think one of the best things about the park is the open OF concourse.

I think it's critical that the park look good because countless thousands of people pass it every day. Changing the seats and replacing the concrete ramp facing the Ryan with a grand entrance would do wonders for the park's reputation I believe.

I'm pretty sure they have around $15M left to work with so maybe they can do all these things.

Randar68
03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
I think one of the best things about the park is the open OF concourse.

I think it's critical that the park look good because countless thousands of people pass it every day. Changing the seats and replacing the concrete ramp facing the Ryan with a grand entrance would do wonders for the park's reputation I believe.

I'm pretty sure they have around $15M left to work with so maybe they can do all these things.

Here's my priority list for changes:

1) Move all Sox offices out of the building and move the ramps inside. The sketches I have seen of that are nothing short of stunning

2) Grand Entrance... Easier access to the El crowd and a place to showcase the history of the White Sox. This would include require year-round bar/restaurants.

3) HR Porch. With the other 2 additions, the aesthetics of the park would be completely transformed.

IMO, the 1st and 3rd ones on my list are the most likely to happen, but I would hope all three could be affordable. There's no point in doing the ornate ironwork and windows around the UD concourse if you can't see them because of the ramps.

Max Power
03-02-2004, 04:11 PM
I really wish they would re-do the area right behind homeplate. This is the area of the park that gets the most TV time and it looks horrible. There's a tunnel, a lot of blue padding, an advertising board and maybe 5 seats visible. When I'm watching on TV sometimes it seems like no one is at the game because you can barely see any people from the camera view that is used for 70% of the game. Fill in the tunnel with some seats and change the blue padding to stone (wouldn't want brick like Wrigley) or something. I can live with the advertising board. Doesn't seem like this would cost too much money either, but it would really improve how the stadium looks on TV.

nasox
03-02-2004, 04:33 PM
i think they are filling in the tunnel with some seats.

One question though, would it have cost significantly more to make the ballpark face north back when it was first built? I see it as laziness and stupidy.

Randar68
03-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by nasox
i think they are filling in the tunnel with some seats.

One question though, would it have cost significantly more to make the ballpark face north back when it was first built? I see it as laziness and stupidy.

For the last time, it was done that way to avoid shadow problems and to take advantage of the prevailing winds...

SoxEd
03-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Impractical as it is, if you insist on changing the seats' color, then the vast majority of the seats should be Silver, with 'Sox' or 'White Sox' spelled out in Black seats. like British soccer stadia do with their seats.

See link below:

http://www.footballgroundguide.co.uk/

Select any Premier League/Division One club and then select the photogtaphs of the stadium in question - everyone highlights their team nickname or logo in the seating areas.

Looks good, but is probably too pricey to do at USCF, unless we want the seats to spell 'US Cellular Field', or similar :(:

Randar68
03-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
For the last time, it was done that way to avoid shadow problems and to take advantage of the prevailing winds...

And one more thought. I hope the next phase involves "raising" the main OF scoreboard. Portions of it, such as the clock and other things are simply not visible from many vantage-points in the stadium (aside from the UD) Those things would only be worse for the RF fans if they put in an UD in RF...

soxnut
03-03-2004, 12:34 AM
And one more thought. I hope the next phase involves "raising" the main OF scoreboard. Portions of it, such as the clock and other things are simply not visible from many vantage-points in the stadium (aside from the UD) Those things would only be worse for the RF fans if they put in an UD in RF...

Yeah if they make the rf ud, it would be just like in the old park. Fans could not see the scoreboard from that angle. As for the clock on the scoreboard. They should make an analog clock where the McD's logo is currently and yes raise the scorboard or move it more to left center.

quade36
03-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm worried that the last phase will remove all bleacher seats, I have no clue why they removed bleachers from the right field

Kittle
03-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Here's my priority list for changes:

1) Move all Sox offices out of the building and move the ramps inside. The sketches I have seen of that are nothing short of stunning

I have a feeling that's not going to happen. Those offices are quite nice (I've taken a tour) and allow the top people direct access to their skyboxes. I don't see JR, KW, etc. walking a block to watch the game.

Randar68
03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Kittle
I have a feeling that's not going to happen. Those offices are quite nice (I've taken a tour) and allow the top people direct access to their skyboxes. I don't see JR, KW, etc. walking a block to watch the game.

That was a rumor heard through Sox management, so take it for what it's worth. It's not like they'd be moving to a warehouse. They'd build a new building within VERY close proximity in order to acheive it, and don't kid yourself if you think it wouldn't be nicely outfitted. Besides, maybe they need more room to expand their marketing department? LOL

Kittle
03-03-2004, 11:49 AM
That was a rumor heard through Sox management, so take it for what it's worth. It's not like they'd be moving to a warehouse. They'd build a new building within VERY close proximity in order to acheive it, and don't kid yourself if you think it wouldn't be nicely outfitted. Besides, maybe they need more room to expand their marketing department? LOL

They have a marketing department? :D:

I still don't foresee it happening. The ramps might look better inside the stadium walls, but most people don't seem to mind them the way they are now. They addressed the UD issue, which was the big problem. Outside of a HR porch in RF to replace the lost seats, I don't see them throwing money into anything else. It probably wouldn't be worth it financially to gut the offices, build new ones, and do further rennovations to build new ramps.

Randar68
03-03-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
They have a marketing department? :D:

I still don't foresee it happening. The ramps might look better inside the stadium walls, but most people don't seem to mind them the way they are now. They addressed the UD issue, which was the big problem. Outside of a HR porch in RF to replace the lost seats, I don't see them throwing money into anything else. It probably wouldn't be worth it financially to gut the offices, build new ones, and do further rennovations to build new ramps.

A lot of things they've done to this point "weren't worth it" from a financial or immediately beneficial point of view. A majority of what they've done has had to do with the the aesthetics, and the difference in the appearance of the park from the outside would be nothing short of unbelievable, if they do it.

I'm not saying it will definitely happen, only that, IMO, it is the most important thing to fix. Adding 5000 seats in RF with an UD won't matter much unless you get people to the park in enough numbers consistently to utilize that space effectively.

soxnut
03-03-2004, 12:34 PM
I think having a building put up is important. It can house offices, a restaurant/bar that can be open all year, and a new White Sox Hall of Fame and Museum-which could also be open all year an have tours available as well.

The building and it's grounds could be used for a pre and post game gathering area--considering there really isn't anything like that currently. It can be a great incentive for out-of-towners and casual fans to come to the park....