PDA

View Full Version : predictions

blueeyes33
03-02-2004, 01:54 AM
i know its early.but what do yous guys think about the coming season.................

chisoxmike
03-02-2004, 02:05 AM
You're right. It is too early. But, if the Sox wern't in the AL Central I would not even be thinking about them winning the division. But, I have to say... I just don't see them doing it this year. Their starting pitching is a problem, much like the Royals is. The Sox will need to start off on a roll, and can't lose to teams like Tigers, and Devil Rays.

I think they'll make the season interesting, maybe even making a run at it at some point during the summer. but no celebrating in October. :whiner:

The_Floridian
03-02-2004, 02:22 AM
Put it this way...I'm glad I'm moving to Chicago in June.

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist but I'm feelin' pretty damn good about things this year. Yeah we lost people. everybody lost people in this division. But I honestly feel like Ozzie's going to be the catalyst for some fine team play this year.

I didn't like the hiring of Ozzie at first. I thought they should have gone with Gaston. But that was back when it still looked like they might have a shot at hanging on to some of the free agents. Gaston would have been the best manager for last year's team...a veteran team with some young talent that just couldn't seem to pull it together. That was what he inherited in Toronto, and he turned them into champs.

But Ozzie is the best man for this bunch. A team heavy on younger player's and guys who not everybody is certain about is a good squad for this guy. It's a team that will follow him. And having veterans like Valentin and Alomar in there who can keep a team together helps too.

We have the best bullpen in the division, even if Koch isn't 100 percent.

We have the best 1-2 starters in Buehrle and Loaiza.

We have the most lumber. I fully expect Lee, Ordonez and Thomas to repeat on last year, Crede to step up big, and Konerko have a big turnaround.

A lot of people's concerns seem to be along the lines of Ozzie's handling of the pitching staff, the 3-4-5 starters, and the leadoff spot.

I'm not too worried. The Sox are in a division they can win, even with these question marks. If they hit the ground running, they'll go all the way to October.

I can't wait to get to Chicago.

Realist
03-02-2004, 07:44 AM
I'm on record predicting 96 wins for us. Last year we had 86 wins and we absolutely sucked in April, May and June. Ozzie is gonna be good for 10 games of "hustle and heart" that we'll win this year.

We won't suck for the first 3 months this year. We'll come out of the gate solid and steadily win more than we lose. At the All-Star break the world will take notice because we've been winninng consistantly for a few months and we'll be 7 games a head of anybody in our division. The gap will grow as Minnesota and Kansas City's starting pitching stumbles down the stretch. We'll romp.

Feel free to save this thread to favorites and toss it in my face in September, or buy me a beer at game one at Comiskey in the playoffs. :D:

Realist
03-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
Put it this way...I'm glad I'm moving to Chicago in June.

Maybe I'm an eternal optimist but I'm feelin' pretty damn good about things this year. Yeah we lost people. everybody lost people in this division. But I honestly feel like Ozzie's going to be the catalyst for some fine team play this year.

I didn't like the hiring of Ozzie at first. I thought they should have gone with Gaston. But that was back when it still looked like they might have a shot at hanging on to some of the free agents. Gaston would have been the best manager for last year's team...a veteran team with some young talent that just couldn't seem to pull it together. That was what he inherited in Toronto, and he turned them into champs.

But Ozzie is the best man for this bunch. A team heavy on younger player's and guys who not everybody is certain about is a good squad for this guy. It's a team that will follow him. And having veterans like Valentin and Alomar in there who can keep a team together helps too.

We have the best bullpen in the division, even if Koch isn't 100 percent.

We have the best 1-2 starters in Buehrle and Loaiza.

We have the most lumber. I fully expect Lee, Ordonez and Thomas to repeat on last year, Crede to step up big, and Konerko have a big turnaround.

A lot of people's concerns seem to be along the lines of Ozzie's handling of the pitching staff, the 3-4-5 starters, and the leadoff spot.

I'm not too worried. The Sox are in a division they can win, even with these question marks. If they hit the ground running, they'll go all the way to October.

I can't wait to get to Chicago.

I completely agree with this post. The only thing I might change is, "If they hit the ground running, they'll go all the way THROUGH October."