PDA

View Full Version : Results of the intersquad game today

MRKARNO
03-01-2004, 07:38 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040301&content_id=643651&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

Maybe Takatsu is even better than we thought...

Unregistered
03-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Jon Garland allowed the only run, when Triple-A catcher Ryan Hankins tripled to right and came home on a wild pitch. Yep, sounds about right... :D:

SoxFan76
03-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Yep, sounds about right... :D:

haha, I saw that. I found it pretty funny. So much for finally reaching his potential. I guess his potential is 12-12 with an ERA of about 4 and a half.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by SoxFan76
haha, I saw that. I found it pretty funny. So much for finally reaching his potential. I guess his potential is 12-12 with an ERA of about 4 and a half.

Sounds like Garland could be the "American" version of Melido Perez. :smile:

jeremyb1
03-01-2004, 08:08 PM

Yeah. HAHAHA. U can just tell sum guyz r not good players in the spring.

DrCrawdad
03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040301&content_id=643651&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

Maybe Takatsu is even better than we thought...

That would be great if Shingo could really get the job done for the Sox. I love when it when Sox players go out and do well after all the know-it-all Sox na-sayers predict doom. I've heard so much how if Shingo were any good he wouldn't be with the Sox. Same last year about Esteban and the year before about Damaso Marte.

duke of dorwood
03-01-2004, 08:24 PM
The old "pitchers ahead of hitters" thing too. But still encouraging for sure

DrCrawdad
03-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Names to watch: Guillen singled out Ross Gload, mentioning how he liked his swing, his work ethic and versatility at first base and in the outfield...

Watch out for the Gloadinator.

delben91
03-01-2004, 08:35 PM
I know it's just an intrasquad game, but it sure is good to hear about real Sox baseball again.

CubKilla
03-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
Yeah. HAHAHA. U can just tell sum guyz r not good players in the spring.

Too bad Garland is mediocre come the regular season too.

MRKARNO
03-01-2004, 09:18 PM
Did he pitch 3 innings? A run in three innings isnt the worst thing in the world.....well maybe against this level of competition it is.

But it was so great to hear that Takatsu, Koch, Buehrle and Loaiza were pitching like the good versions of themselves.

SEALgep
03-01-2004, 09:43 PM
It isn't the end of the world that Garland gave up a run. They knew what pitches were being thrown. The wild pitch doesn't bold well, but it isn't necessarily a sign after only one manipulated game. Hopefully not anyway. Everyone else did pretty well though, so that's a good sign. :smile:

TornLabrum
03-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Did he pitch 3 innings? A run in three innings isnt the worst thing in the world.....well maybe against this level of competition it is.

But it was so great to hear that Takatsu, Koch, Buehrle and Loaiza were pitching like the good versions of themselves.

I think they said they were going to limit each pitcher to 15 pitches today.

Rocklive99
03-01-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by SEALgep
They knew what pitches were being thrown.

I think the article said that they knew what was being thrown last week, when the pitchers pitched behind a screen for BP.

Originally posted by TornLabrum

I think I read Buehrle's limit was 45? I know Buerhle and Loaiza both pitched 3 innings.

1951Campbell
03-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Too bad Garland is mediocre come the regular season too.

Garland gave up a run?

:chickenlittle

MRKARNO
03-01-2004, 10:15 PM

I found the answer:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news.jsp?ymd=20040229&content_id=643104&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp

Jon Garland, struck by a Ross Gload line drive Friday, will be ready to work three innings as planned.

So one run in three innings really aint that bad. Obviously it could have been better, but it isnt the end of the world as we know it.

fuzzy_patters
03-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99
I think the article said that they knew what was being thrown last week, when the pitchers pitched behind a screen for BP.

I think I read Buehrle's limit was 45? I know Buerhle and Loaiza both pitched 3 innings.

They were limited to 15 pitches per inning per this morning's Daily Southtown, so 45 would be the limit for three innings of work.

Rocklive99
03-02-2004, 12:43 AM
My fault, I thought he meant 15 pitches total

jeremyb1
03-02-2004, 12:58 AM
Thing is, even if this was the last week of spring training I wouldn't be too concerned if Jon Garland gave up 10 runs in three innings. There is absolutely zero correlation between spring stats and success in the major leagues. Rip out the spring training stats at the All-Star break if anyone is unconvinced. Some of the best pitchers in baseball typically post ERAs in the 8s or double digits in the spring and that is not just due to pitchers working on new pitches. Also, that happens even in Florida without taking Tucson's altitude into consideration.

As far as Takatsu, I'll basically say the same about him. He'll probably have some level of success this season but we need to be realistic here. One strong outing in the first intrasquad game against hitters that have never seen his deceptive delivery before doesn't make him an All-Star. He's 35 so we know he's at an age where he's past his prime and he posted an ERA of 4 last season in Japan without great peripheral numbers. So unless the quality of hitters in Japan is greater than the major leagues, there are some insane park effects in his park, or he can somehow use a deceptive delivery to fool hitters for the length of an entire season he's not going to be dominant.

The_Floridian
03-02-2004, 01:35 AM
Maybe there isn't any correlation between spring and the regular season...but I do seem to recall that Loaiza was kicking a significant amount of ass last spring...which is what got him in the rotation in the first place. And of course, his regular season followed the buttocks-kicking trend.

I agree that there isn't necessarily much correlation between BAD spring stats and the regular season. But I think GOOD spring stats do bode well.

doublem23
03-02-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Garland gave up a run?

:chickenlittle

Ha ha ha ha ha... THIRD PLACE HERE WE COME!

SSN721
03-02-2004, 06:14 AM
I just think it is difficult to predict, good or bad, how any of these players are going to do from the first intrasquad game of spring. Kind of ridiculous. I agree there is nothing wrong with good spring stats but there isnt always much correlation between spring and the regular season, stats, records, everything. Dont think we can condemn or praise any of them too much yet.

SEALgep
03-02-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
He's 35 so we know he's at an age where he's past his prime and he posted an ERA of 4 last season in Japan without great peripheral numbers. So unless the quality of hitters in Japan is greater than the major leagues, there are some insane park effects in his park, or he can somehow use a deceptive delivery to fool hitters for the length of an entire season he's not going to be dominant. Ya, but the hitters in Japan have seen his stuff for years and have adapted better to his pitches and style. It isn't necessarily a good indication of how well he is going to do in the majors. I understand what you're saying, that it is too early to get excited about a good performance, but by that logic, isn't it also too early to say he won't be dominant? Right now we don't know either way. The only thing we do know is Ozzie, KW, and the rest of the team seemed impressed with what he adds to this team. That's enough for me for now, and gives me a positive outlook. :smile:

soxfan26
03-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Watch out for the Gloadinator.

I really hope he comes through for us this year. A left handed stick to platoon at 1B and in PH situations would be great.

DrCrawdad
03-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by soxfan26
I really hope he comes through for us this year. A left handed stick to platoon at 1B and in PH situations would be great.

I'd like to see the Gloadinator beat-up AL pitching this year, and a certain NL Central teams as well.

patbooyah
03-02-2004, 09:56 AM
the thing about garlands triple is that it was probably more of an error on borchard. i was at the game and saw that it was a high pop fly that borchard couldn't get under. the runner ended up making it to third on something that mags would have caught. the wild pitch wasn't all that wild, either. a miguel olivo probably would have stopped it.

the other exciting news, to me, is cliff politte. 14 of his 16 pitches were strikes. he struck out the side.

SEALgep
03-02-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by patbooyah
the thing about garlands triple is that it was probably more of an error on borchard. i was at the game and saw that it was a high pop fly that borchard couldn't get under. the runner ended up making it to third on something that mags would have caught. the wild pitch wasn't all that wild, either. a miguel olivo probably would have stopped it.

the other exciting news, to me, is cliff politte. 14 of his 16 pitches were strikes. he struck out the side. Thanks for the perspective. The paper would never have told it like that. I didn't know Politte struck out the side. I knew the strike ratio, but struck out the side, huh. Very nice. :smile:

MisterB
03-02-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by The_Floridian
I agree that there isn't necessarily much correlation between BAD spring stats and the regular season. But I think GOOD spring stats do bode well.

Last spring Konerko hit .407 and 12 of his 22 hits were for extra bases, yet he stank mightily once the season came. ST stats are generally useless. Too many players are working on new things (pitches, batting stances, etc.) so their performance can be inconsistent, and there are a lot of minor leaguers that the ML guys can fatten their stats on.

anewman35
03-02-2004, 11:12 AM

the other exciting news, to me, is cliff politte. 14 of his 16 pitches were strikes. he struck out the side.

Cliff Politte? I thought he was terrible!

KingXerxes
03-02-2004, 11:20 AM

Cliff Politte gave up 11 home runs last year in 49 1/3 innings while amassing an ERA over 5. You'll have to pardon me if I don't break out the champagne just yet.

Jerko
03-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Are Politte and Zero that good; or are our hitters still behind?

Mickster
03-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Cliff Politte gave up 11 home runs last year in 49 1/3 innings while amassing an ERA over 5. You'll have to pardon me if I don't break out the champagne just yet.

Loaiza's 2002 stats were not that impressive either. I'll just reserve judgment until the season starts. I am happy that he's in the pen, though.

KingXerxes
03-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Who knows? There is no way you can tell from a single instance, or a single game - and this is especially true in spring training. Therefor there are 162 games in a season.

rdivaldi
03-02-2004, 11:27 AM

True, however he was injured last year which affected his velocity and motion.

The question will be, will we get the Cliff Politte from 2000-2002, or the Cliff Politte from 2003? Hopefully we'll get the 2000-2002 version.

KingXerxes
03-02-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mickster
Loaiza's 2002 stats were not that impressive either. I'll just reserve judgment until the season starts. I am happy that he's in the pen, though.

I agree. If we're in July and the guy is pitching well, I'll start getting excited about him. Until then I'll keep the Moet & Chandon on ice.

Mickster
03-02-2004, 11:32 AM
The pen is the least of our worries. Actually, I honestly feel we have one of the better bullpens in all of MLB. We have too many other holes to worry about.

I would feel better if the reports out of the intersquad game revolved around "three scoreless innings" from Rauch, Grilli or Cotts, etc. That would make me a little more excited.

rmusacch
03-02-2004, 11:41 AM

15 pitches per inning. Loaiza and Buehrle were each going to pitch 3 innings. Do not know about Garland.

maurice
03-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Jon Garland gave up the other run after a triple by minor-leaguer Ryan Hankins that Joe Borchard was unable to hang on to at the warning track in right field. Hankins scored on a wild pitch. The triple was the only hit Garland allowed as he recorded 10 outs in three innings.

Linky (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox02.html). Let's see. That's one "hit" (really a three-base error) and ten outs. Yep, that's another crappy performance from Garland.

LASOXFAN
03-02-2004, 02:04 PM

great call - bash the guy for a triple hit in the first intrasquad game of the spring.

patbooyah
03-02-2004, 02:50 PM

i said it was exciting news, which it is. i didn't ask you to break out the champagne. i never encourage consumption of alcohol unless i'm there to help.

santo=dorf
03-02-2004, 02:52 PM

What did Gordon's numbers look like last year before he first came to the Sox? I don't care what Pollite did last year, it's this year that matters most to me.

maurice
03-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by santo=dorf
What did Gordon's numbers look like last year before he first came to the Sox?

3.38 ERA, the same as in 2001.

The question on Gordon was "will he stay healthy"? The question on Politte is "will he suck"? He's had some success in the past but never put together an outstanding full season. There's a good chance that he'll put up a solid 3-point-something ERA in 2004, but (like most of the Sox staff) his success is far from a sure thing.

A. Cavatica
03-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Are Politte and Zero that good; or are our hitters still behind?

Yeah, maybe we should wait until they prove they can get hitters from other teams out.

:)

soxruleEP
03-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Rocklive99

15 pitches per inning.

JohnJeter
03-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by A. Cavatica
Yeah, maybe we should wait until they prove they can get hitters from other teams out.

:)

And along those lines, remember that they're pitching to the White Sox.