PDA

View Full Version : The Best Ballpark Features in Baseball

PINWHEELS
03-01-2004, 06:26 PM
The Scoreboard at Comiskey is the Best, also The Green Monster at Fenway, The Warehouse at Camden Yards, and the City Dropback at PNC Park is Awesome! What Do You Think?

CubKilla
03-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Ivy

PaleHoseGeorge
03-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
Ivy

Don't forget these, too. :smile:

No parking.

"Babes" in bikini tops.

Third world restroom facilities.

E. coli friendly foodservice.

Black & white video signage.

Obstructed view seats, including the front row along the left field foul line.

Yeah sure, blame the ball.

:)

MRKARNO
03-01-2004, 06:59 PM
McCovey Cove in San Francisco

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-01-2004, 07:09 PM
Skydome- The only dome in baseball with rain delays
Tropicana Field- The corny tropical entrance leading to the stadium!

Fenway
03-01-2004, 07:20 PM
I am biased, the monster

The way it looked in 1946

http://members.cox.net/shea4/images/gemwall.jpg

PINWHEELS
03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by fenway
I am biased, the monster

http://members.cox.net/shea4/images/gemwall.jpg Sorry Still does not Beat OLD COMISKEY! She is Still the ORIGINAL and the BEST.

munchman33
03-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I've been to 24 of the current ballparks. PNC Park blows all of them away. By a long shot. Food was the best (yes, better than Comiskey). Prices were reasonable. View of the city was extravagent (park sits on the Allegheny River). Excellent seat size and sight lines of play. Best out of town scoreboard in baseball (lights up outs, balls, strikes, and baserunners for every game. Oh, and there's an Outback Steakhouse in center field.

Too bad the Pirates aren't any good.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by munchman33
I've been to 24 of the current ballparks. PNC Park blows all of them away. By a long shot. Food was the best (yes, better than Comiskey). Prices were reasonable. View of the city was extravagent (park sits on the Allegheny River). Excellent seat size and sight lines of play. Best out of town scoreboard in baseball (lights up outs, balls, strikes, and baserunners for every game. Oh, and there's an Outback Steakhouse in center field.

That last post was brought to you by the Pittsburgh Board Of Tourism!

Nah, I'm just messing with ya. PNC looks like a real awesome park. Although they are our division rival, I have to give it to the Royals, their park looks real good, the waterfalls and the switch to natural grass really helped the appearance of the park.

PINWHEELS
03-01-2004, 07:56 PM

Too bad the Pirates aren't any good. Don't forget Iron City Light BEER.... MMMMMM GOOD STUFF :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

HomeFish
03-01-2004, 07:58 PM

Somebody could almost as easily say "too bad the Sox aren't any good" to anyone holding up the Cell.

Having spent last summer in Boston, I got fairly aquainted with Fenway Park. My favorite feature there is not the monster, but, rather, the scoreboard directly under it. The lights for strikes and balls are a big plus for me; I am nearsighted and do not wear corrective lenses, so sometimes it is hard for me to read numbers on a scoreboard. The lights work great for that.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that one of the first out-of-town scores I saw upon my first enterance to Fenway was the Sox beating the Cubs. Always a plus.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Too bad the Pirates can't draw flies either.

Gee, I thought building big new ballparks was the key to small markets competing even up with the big clubs, taxpayers joining baseball fans turning over their last dollar to the owners, all on top of the players transferring their salaries into the owners' pockets, too.

I can't understand why the Brewers, Pirates, and Sox can't compete. Meanwhile small market Oakland plays in a 40 year-old concrete mausoleum and has a record better than any of them.

What went wrong?????

:reinsy :tool
<laughing all the way to bank>

markp8867
03-01-2004, 08:27 PM
My favorite ballpark feature is definitely the exploding scoreboard at Comiskey. I also think monument park at Yankee Stadium is a nice feature too. I am going to check out the brand new PetCo Park this year in San Diego. I heard that park is supposed to be as good as or better than PNC Park in Pittsburgh. I guess I will find out!

Daver
03-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by markp8867
My favorite ballpark feature is definitely the exploding scoreboard at Comiskey. I also think monument park at Yankee Stadium is a nice feature too. I am going to check out the brand new PetCo Park this year in San Diego. I heard that park is supposed to be as good as or better than PNC Park in Pittsburgh. I guess I will find out!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

ChiSox14305635
03-01-2004, 08:34 PM
When ESPN did their list of the 30 ballparks, they ranked PNC 1st. (The Sox were 20th BTW). Coming in dead last was Olympic Stadium in Montreal, not that the 250 fans in attendance would really notice.

But I'd like to see them re-do that list for a couple of reasons:

1) Since they did the list, Philly & San Diego are moving into new digs, and they say Petco Park looks beautiful.

2) When Caple did his Sox review, he did it the 1st game after the ASB, when the Sox played Detroit and the 1st pitch didn't happen until after 10pm due to that rain delay (another brilliant decision by JM). Who in the hell's gonna be there at 1 in the morning? Review it when the Sox are playing the Yankees, Twins or even Scrubbies. I guarantee the ranking the Sox got would be much higher.

Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stadiums)

DSpivack
03-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Comiskey's exploding scoreboard my fave.

McCovey Cove was great, too.

Saw not-quite-complete PetCo in December...being near downtown San Diego, the Park is a very good location [very "neighborhood"], and doesn't look like too bad of a park. Really strange part of the park though is two very tall, tan towers; not light towers or anything, looks like just there for posterity. Weird.

Also liked sitting in padded Club seats at the Skydome for what amounted $8, US. Carpeted concourse and padded seats, sure there are better parks out there, but I really liked the Skydome.

joecrede
03-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Here are some pics of Petco Park. (http://www.ducksnorts.com/weblog/petco.html) I must say, I'm Kind of disappointed with it. Too much white in the color scheme and it also has a silly gap in the upper deck like The Great American Ballpark.

DSpivack
03-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Continuing on the subject of new ballparks, what about Philly?

StepsInSC
03-01-2004, 09:44 PM

Considering I'll probably be moving up to Pittsburgh soon I'm at least glad to hear that. Yea the Pirates suck, but at least its a team nearby to watch.

Realist
03-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
Here are some pics of Petco Park. (http://www.ducksnorts.com/weblog/petco.html) I must say, I'm Kind of disappointed with it. Too much white in the color scheme and it also has a silly gap in the upper deck like The Great American Ballpark.

You gotta love the color of the seats though. :smile: Now if Comiskey had... ahhh... better not open THAT can of worms again. :D:

CubKilla
03-01-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by DSpivack
Continuing on the subject of new ballparks, what about Philly?

From what I hear, it's practically a carbon copy of Jacob's Field in the bad part of Philly that's not easily accessible. Maybe if there's someone from PA here that can either confirm or deny this rumor.

Fenway
03-01-2004, 10:26 PM
It isn't in a bad part of Philly, it is right next to the Vet and across the street from the Eagles new stadium, and the Spectrum and whateverbank Center the Flyers and Sixers are in.

The subway is right there, only problem is the Broad Street Subway makes the State Street Subway look state of the art.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/images/y2003_ballpark/im_cbp_header_581x260.gif

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/phi/ballpark/photos_videos.jsp

1951Campbell
03-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CubKilla
From what I hear, it's practically a carbon copy of Jacob's Field in the bad part of Philly that's not easily accessible. Maybe if there's someone from PA here that can either confirm or deny this rumor.

The Vet and the new park are easy to get to, for drivers at least. Don't know about coming via public transit, I live out in the Harrisburg area.

The Vet is the worst ballpark I've ever been to. They do not sell salted in the shell peanuts there. That is heresy. Plus it's a dump.

Huisj
03-02-2004, 12:37 AM

no there is no way you can look at that upper deck and say that it's any less steep or closer to the field that the UD at comiskey. don't you think?

SaltyPretzel
03-02-2004, 12:59 AM
I agree:

Blueprint1
03-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Wow that upperdeck looks pretty high you think the California media will be all over that.

Rex Hudler
03-02-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by StepsInSC
Considering I'll probably be moving up to Pittsburgh soon I'm at least glad to hear that. Yea the Pirates suck, but at least its a team nearby to watch.

One of the best things about Pittsburgh is the drive into the city from the South. Driving in the mountains, then into the long tunnel and seeing the city and the three rivers immediately after coming out of the tunnel is gorgeous.

Rex Hudler
03-02-2004, 01:43 AM
The best feature in a ballpark is the entrance to the oldest ballpark in America, Rickwood Field. I don't have a picture of it, but I do have a picture of the "Fenway-like" scoreboard in LF.

santo=dorf
03-02-2004, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
Wow that upperdeck looks pretty high you think the California media will be all over that.

Does :moron have a twin brother out on the West Coast?

batmanZoSo
03-02-2004, 01:59 AM
The green monster is the only thing in baseball that's seen a decrease in ad space over the years. That's weird.

batmanZoSo
03-02-2004, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Huisj
no there is no way you can look at that upper deck and say that it's any less steep or closer to the field that the UD at comiskey. don't you think?

That place is too goofy for me. It looks just like pit and cincy with that little upper deck in left field. The whole left field area was blatently copied from PNC park. HOK must be running out of ideas. Instead of a spiral ramp, it's a building. I don't think that throwback concept works well with a San Diego park.

Baby Fisk
03-02-2004, 09:36 AM
I was having brunch with this new lady friend in my life and we got on the subject of baseball. We started ripping Skydome over how useless it is, when she suddenly said "Yeah, it's not like other great stadiums out there...like WRIGLEY. I LOVE the ivy..."

I had to put my fork down and sloooooowly sip some OJ while sloooooowly counting to ten. Alas, she has been brainwashed. :(:

My favourite ballpark features:

Comiskey - the Sox
Wrigley - curse of the billy goat
Fenway - the fans in the bleachers all have funny accents
Camden - Boog's BBQ
Skydome - (still thinking...)

Rex Hudler
03-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Main Entrance, as it stands today, to Rickwood Field, America's Oldest Ballpark....

Dick Allen
03-02-2004, 10:05 AM
I like the whole left-field area at Minute Maid Park, along with the train atop the wall. Also the hill in CF. A fun place to watch a game.

SSN721
03-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Rex Hudler
Main Entrance, as it stands today, to Rickwood Field, America's Oldest Ballpark....

THat looks pretty nice. :smile: And I am suprised at PetCo, I hadnt seen any pics or renderings of it til now, must say I am very dissapointed. Looks pretty cookie cutter to me. And the UD does look quite steep. SOmeone oughta say something out there. Warn the fans before they go up there.

joecrede
03-02-2004, 10:34 AM

Just by looking at the pictures I'd say Petco's upper deck is closer to the field, just as steep maybe steeper, and higher than the Cell's upper deck.

I think the worst thing you can say about the Cell's upper deck right now is that it starts a little too far away from the field. However, that upper deck configuation gives the park the best lower deck seats between the foul lines of any park I've been to. Why that is never mentioned in discussions about the park is anyone's guess.

Huisj
03-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by SSN721
THat looks pretty nice. :smile: And I am suprised at PetCo, I hadnt seen any pics or renderings of it til now, must say I am very dissapointed. Looks pretty cookie cutter to me. And the UD does look quite steep. SOmeone oughta say something out there. Warn the fans before they go up there.

it's really funny that all the sudden it sounds like people are getting sick of everyone having to have the same retro looking stadium. The big round multi-purpose stadiums used to rule, and then everyone had them, and then everyone hated them because they were so "cookie cutter." Is the same thing going to happen now with all the retro stadiums? Are they going to become the new "cookie cutter" design?

I agree, it does seem like every new "retro" park looks the same, which leads me to question whether the whole retro theme really exists anymore. It's like if every single car company came out with a bunch of "retro" cars, would that whole styling theme really be "retro" anymore, or would it just be considered what new styling looks like?

Maybe one day yet, Comiskey will come to be considered a classic stadium because it's not a "cookie cutter" "retro" ballpark.

sorry if none of that made any sense at all :o:

jortafan
03-02-2004, 11:37 AM
it's really funny that all the sudden it sounds like people are getting sick of everyone having to have the same retro looking stadium. The big round multi-purpose stadiums used to rule, and then everyone had them, and then everyone hated them because they were so "cookie cutter." Is the same thing going to happen now with all the retro stadiums? Are they going to become the new "cookie cutter" design?

I agree, it does seem like every new "retro" park looks the same, which leads me to question whether the whole retro theme really exists anymore. It's like if every single car company came out with a bunch of "retro" cars, would that whole styling theme really be "retro" anymore, or would it just be considered what new styling looks like?

Maybe one day yet, Comiskey will come to be considered a classic stadium because it's not a "cookie cutter" "retro" ballpark.

Actually, you made perfect sense to me.

Baby Fisk
03-02-2004, 11:55 AM

Good post. I look at Philly's new park and think: "Booorring!" It looks too much like the Jake, right down to the giant team name over the scoreboard in left.

Philly would have done well to revive the look of ol' Shibe Park. It had a nice enclosed look, but still with a nice view of buildings in the distance. Plus a unique "tower" at the main entrance:

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/shibeoutside.jpg

fhqwhgads
03-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Can't wait for our new park:

PINWHEELS
03-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Baby Fisk
Good post. I look at Philly's new park and think: "Booorring!" It looks too much like the Jake, right down to the giant team name over the scoreboard in left.

Philly would have done well to revive the look of ol' Shibe Park. It had a nice enclosed look, but still with a nice view of buildings in the distance. Plus a unique "tower" at the main entrance:

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/past/shibeoutside.jpg Behind Old Comiskey As Being My Favorite Ballpark Of All Time. This Park Is A Close 2nd. The MAIN Entrance Is Awesome Looking!

Fenway
03-02-2004, 02:08 PM
nice website for Rickwood Park (http://www.rickwood.com/)

However it may not be the oldest as a ballpark in Newport, Rhode Island makes the claim

Bernardo Cardines Memorial Field (http://www.newportgulls.com/Cardines.htm)

http://www.newportgulls.com/images/Cardinescornershot.JPG

and a park in Canada makes claim that no place in North America has hosted baseball longer

http://www.geocities.com/shoeless1920/London.html

Originally posted by Rex Hudler

Rex Hudler
03-02-2004, 04:59 PM

However it may not be the oldest as a ballpark in Newport, Rhode Island makes the claim

and a park in Canada makes claim that no place in North America has hosted baseball longer

Thanks for the info. I forwarded the two links to the Director of the Friends of Rickwood. I do know that the National Parks Service has designated Rickwood as America's Oldest Ballpark. I am not sure what criteria they used but I do know that the grandstand at Rickwood was built in 1910 when the park was. The baseball scenes in the movie Cobb were filmed there and the place looks like you are walking back in time when you go there.

The Barons play a Turn Back the Clock game at Rickwood each year, to help raise funds for upkeep and renovations. It has become a great event each year.

Rex Hudler
03-02-2004, 05:01 PM
Someone asked for an update on Philly's new field. Here is a photo taken earlier today. Hope that was quick enough. ;-)

It looks like they may have some trouble getting everything done in time. They have an exhibition game scheduled there on April 3rd.

Over By There
03-02-2004, 05:21 PM

I've often had that same thought myself. I've always said and will always say that I think our park is pretty darn nice.

In my nightmare, though, USCF gets torn down in favor of a "retro" park just before public sentiment changes again...

Rex Hudler
03-02-2004, 06:11 PM

fenway, I emailed the Director for Friends of Rickwood and here is his response... I thought you might be interested.

I had a file on both of these parks. cardines apparently is in the same location as a diamond where play began before 1910, but the park/grandstand was, i think, built in '36. again a later park on earlier realestate.

and labatt's original grandstand was rebuilt in '37 after the park flooded.

both of these are very nice old parks, and there are many others out there. our claim to fame, as defined by the nps, is the oldest original park or grandstand on its original location.

keep the historic park info that you run across coming my way.

David

soxnut
03-02-2004, 06:13 PM

It makes perfect sense to me. I think sooner or later, Comiskey will be seen as "unique" in a good way. :smile:

soxnut
03-02-2004, 06:17 PM
I am biased, the monster

http://members.cox.net/shea4/images/gemwall.jpg

Ah the good ole days when ballparks were pure and no advertising billboards in them!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:

soxnut
03-02-2004, 06:28 PM
Just by looking at the pictures I'd say Petco's upper deck is closer to the field, just as steep maybe steeper, and higher than the Cell's upper deck.

I think the worst thing you can say about the Cell's upper deck right now is that it starts a little too far away from the field. However, that upper deck configuation gives the park the best lower deck seats between the foul lines of any park I've been to. Why that is never mentioned in discussions about the park is anyone's guess.

As high as Comiskey's seats are...I think that The Ballpark in Arlington has the highest seats in major league baseball.........

Fenway
03-03-2004, 09:19 AM
There is another grat old ballpark in Pittsfield, MA called Wahconah Park which is the subject of a new book by Jim Bouton (Foul Ball) I think it was built in 1917 and it has not changed much. In recent years it was home for AA and then SS A band now is in the Northeast League. It is most famous for sun delays.

The new Red Sox ownership has pretty much admitted they plan on renovating Fenway instead of building a new park and we may be faced with a year or two at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro for them to do what is needed. Fenway is built on filled in land, and there are questions on how sturdy the foundation is. Fenway looks great on TV, but like the old Comiskey has many problems that have to be addressed. The seats in the grandstand are brutal as they are too narrow and there is no legroom.

What I will never understand about USCF is why they have the park facing south. The Loop skyline would have looked a lot better behind the bleachers than the Robert Taylor Homes.

Frater Perdurabo
03-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by soxnut
As high as Comiskey's seats are...I think that The Ballpark in Arlington has the highest seats in major league baseball.........

They are very high when viewed from field level.

soxnut
03-03-2004, 11:09 AM
[What I will never understand about USCF is why they have the park facing south. The Loop skyline would have looked a lot better behind the bleachers than the Robert Taylor Homes. [/B]

I think it had something to do with the sun and the wind. And the Robert Taylor Homes are no longer there, execpt for one building which is scheduled for demolition by 2005.

wdelaney72
03-03-2004, 11:32 AM
I want to Fenway 3 years ago. I can honestly say it's more of a dump than the Shrine. Lots of character, but dirty, crowded, and uncomfortable. Plus, they don't have beer vendors in the stands. You have to herd your way to the concourse!

One of my favorite Ballpark features is the Miller Park Parking Lot. That is THE ESSENCE of tailgating. Plus the stadium is top notch, as well.

USCF is a great park, even with Joan Cusak's affiliation. I, too, wish they'd fill in the seats behind home plate.