PDA

View Full Version : SI preview of the Central

StepsInSC
03-01-2004, 03:34 PM
linky (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/specials/spring_training/2004/03/01/alcentral.donovan/index.html)

Nothing new, but a decent read. They predict us third, if that means anything.

One quote I thought summed up this team very well was

Decent rotation and hitting, but something's missing

Kittle
03-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Pitching awfully suspect, but lineup has muscle

So, the Royals, with their "awfully suspect" pitching, are going to end up with a better record than the Sox with their "decent pitching and rotation?" Was this guy drunk when he made his predictions?

I'm glad I don't waste my time reading SI because this writer's a moron.

SoxFan76
03-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Very true. The White Sox have their faults like every team, but they are all to a lesser degree than the other Central contenders. I sometimes wonder if these "experts" know ANYTHING about sports.

KingXerxes
03-01-2004, 04:36 PM
It would be interesting to see where they had everybody before last year started.

SoxEd
03-01-2004, 05:22 PM
British bookies have the Sox second to the Twins, not third.
But it's a close thing...

yer link (http://www.oddschecker.com/oddschecker/mode/o/card/cc16607x/odds/124901x/sid/240674/mbid/1070076)

kermittheefrog
03-01-2004, 06:38 PM
You can tell off the bat it's poorly researched. Look at the Sox page. They don't have Jeremy Reed listed as a prospect and they have Jon Rauch as the fifth starter.

mike squires
03-01-2004, 06:53 PM
I'd rather be underdogs folks. We've been picked to finish atop the division the last few years and fell flat on our faces. Ozzie needs to post all of these predictions in the locker room and pump these guys up.

Iguana775
03-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Kittle
So, the Royals, with their "awfully suspect" pitching, are going to end up with a better record than the Sox with their "decent pitching and rotation?" Was this guy drunk when he made his predictions?

I'm glad I don't waste my time reading SI because this writer's a moron.

Yea, I find it hard to believe that the Royals will win the Central. They have nothing for pitching. and as we all know, you can't win with just hitting.

cheeses_h_rice
03-01-2004, 07:47 PM
If you go back and look at WSI posters' preseason predictions in past years, you'll notice the same gripes about how the Twins were unfairly favored by certain writers and how the Sox deserved to be picked as the best team going in.

Sometimes the writers know more than we do, or aren't as stupid as they may seem.

Me, I'm predicting 77 wins and third place. I'd rather be wrong and happily surprised than wrong and heartbroken as I have in the past few years.

MRKARNO
03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Me, I'm predicting 77 wins and third place. I'd rather be wrong and happily surprised than wrong and heartbroken as I have in the past few years.

They've finished below .500 once in eight years. This team is at worst a .500 team IMHO.

Foulke You
03-01-2004, 08:16 PM
I think the AL Central is going to be a three horse race down the stretch. The big 3 of us, KC, and Minny are very close together in terms of talent. Some have greater strengths than others but there is no clear cut favorite. Barring any major midseason trades that could tip the balance in favor of one particular team, I see this division being settled in September. It's going to come down to who finishes the strongest. Hopefully, it will be the good guys in black.

It should be noted that 8 of our last 11 games are against the Royals and Twins. The division could very well come down to those last 11 games for us. I kind've like being an underdog this year too. In 2000, nobody gave us a chance and we snuck up on a lot of teams. Let all the writers get KC and Minnesota thinking that their world beaters and we'll sneak up on 'em and snatch the division right from under them.