PDA

View Full Version : Carlos May Interview

HITMEN OF 77
03-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Nice interview with Carlos May. Great player and great person. Wish I could have seen him play. Nice job Lip, your efforts are appreciated!

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Carlos was a delite to speak with. Just a very friendly, outgoing guy who still is a very passionate Sox fan.

At the end of the interview he thanked me and said how much he enjoyed talking about the 'good old days,' that they brought back some great memories and that he was afraid that people had forgotten.

I assured him that real Sox fans don't forget their history.

Right now I'm debating the next interview for April. As I see it my choices are Greg Luzinski, Joe McConnell, perhaps John Kass or trying to search out and line up someone else.

Lip

rmusacch
03-01-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Carlos was a delite to speak with. Just a very friendly, outgoing guy who still is a very passionate Sox fan.

At the end of the interview he thanked me and said how much he enjoyed talking about the 'good old days,' that they brought back some great memories and that he was afraid that people had forgotten.

I assured him that real Sox fans don't forget their history.

Right now I'm debating the next interview for April. As I see it my choices are Greg Luzinski, Joe McConnell, perhaps John Kass or trying to search out and line up someone else.

Lip

Out of those people, I vote for The Bull.

Baby Fisk
03-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Luzinski would be great. LaMarr Hoyt would be a great and timely one too. Lip Man: have you ever tried for Pudge?

BTW - My fave of your interviews is with Donn Pall.

ode to veeck
03-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Great interview Lip, I'll never forget how psych'd Sox fans were after his 1st partial season, and how depressed we were to hear of his injury.

Dan's book Through Hope and Dispair has good coverage on Carlos that my son (white sock) was reading through yesterday, as it was all before his time.

Frater Perdurabo
03-01-2004, 07:18 PM
Great job, Lip.

misty60481
03-01-2004, 07:34 PM
How about some real old timers--Jim Rivera or Billy Pierce or Bob Kennedy I think all 3 still live close to Chicago they should have lots of good stories

Daver
03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by misty60481
How about some real old timers--Jim Rivera or Billy Pierce or Bob Kennedy I think all 3 still live close to Chicago they should have lots of good stories

Check the archives,I think Lip has interviewed a couple of them.

Lip Man 1
03-01-2004, 08:26 PM
I have spoken with Billy Pierce, the nicest man I've ever met. I've also spoken with Jimmy Landis.

I have been attempting to get Jungle Jim for the past few years but he moves every six months from Indiana to Florida and always gets a new telephone number. I'd really like to speak with him.

Ray Herbert has been contacted and will be available after the middle of April. Others that I have spoken with from those great 60's teams were Pete Ward, Gary Peters and J.C. Martin.

Like Daver suggested...check the archives, I think you'll enjoy reading them as well as the feature interactive audio pieces under the heading WSI audio memories.

Lip

Dan H
03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
The story about May getting emotional in the batter's box because of a standing ovation was great. It is truly great to hear that a player or ex-player really appreciates fan support.