PDA

View Full Version : Julian Martinez = Manny Alexander?

DrCrawdad
03-01-2004, 11:39 AM
"Sosa is the only Cub with an assistant, a perk granted by management for at least the last four seasons." - Paul Sullivan, Cubune

Julian Martinez became Sosa's personal assistant in 2000. Is it simply a coincidence that this was after Manny Alexander (Sosa's friend who was caught with steroids) left the Cubs?

WSox8404
03-01-2004, 12:06 PM
God I hate Scammy. At the Cubs Sox series this year at the Cell we better have some good chants ready for him.

santo=dorf
03-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404
God I hate Scammy. At the Cubs Sox series this year at the Cell we better have some good chants ready for him.

Oh, I'm sure a scandal will break out sometime between now and late June.

DrCrawdad
03-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by WSox8404

Is it a coincidence that Sammy's HRs exploded when Manny Alexander became a Cubbie? Did Sammy need a new mule after Manny Alexander left, ala Julian Martinez?

DrCrawdad
03-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Major League Baseball has ruled that Sammy Sosa's assistant, Julian Martinez, may not use the team clubhouse or work with the Cubs during pre-game practice. MLB executive Sandy Alderson delivered the news to the Cubs and Sosa on Saturday. - Associated Press

Seems as though MLB didn't buy the Cubbie president's claim that Julian Martinez was a batting practice pitcher in addition to SamME's personal clubhouse gopher (and possibly SamME's mule).

1951Campbell
03-14-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Is it a coincidence that Sammy's HRs exploded when Manny Alexander became a Cubbie?

Hell no. In Boston, they found happy pills in his car.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by 1951Campbell
Hell no. In Boston, they found happy pills in his car.

Campbell and Crawdad come together right now...over Sammy Steroid.
:)

1951Campbell
03-14-2004, 12:30 AM
Campbell and Crawdad come together right now...over Sammy Steroid.
:)

All jokes aside, Crawdad my brother, I think Manny is not a utility guy, but rather a "connection."

Man, I'm kicking myself trying to remember the circumstances under which Manny was involved in steroids with the BoSox...

DrCrawdad
03-14-2004, 12:35 AM
All jokes aside, Crawdad my brother, I think Manny is not a utility guy, but rather a "connection."

Man, I'm kicking myself trying to remember the circumstances under which Manny was involved in steroids with the BoSox...

I hear ya'.

It will be interesting to see if Sosa, or anyone else, hits more than 50 HRs this season. Apparently Reggie Jackson spoke out about how the burst in HRs in the last few years is from steroids. I wish I had that AJC article.

1951Campbell
03-14-2004, 12:44 AM
I hear ya'.

It will be interesting to see if Sosa, or anyone else, hits more than 50 HRs this season. Apparently Reggie Jackson spoke out about how the burst in HRs in the last few years is from steroids. I wish I had that AJC article.

Yeah, I heard the Yanks told Reg to shut up or get off the payroll.

I don't know how this 'roid thing will play out, but if 20 years from now the HR totals from 1998-2003 are at the top of a historical graph, then I think we have our answer.

cheeses_h_rice
03-14-2004, 12:34 PM

http://www.seacoastonline.com/2000news/7_25_sb2.htm

1951Campbell
03-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://www.seacoastonline.com/2000news/7_25_sb2.htm

See, that's the hook I couldn't remember. The old "I loaned my car to the batboy" excuse.